First-half Awards: A Look Back Best manager, NL

miamibaseball

Best manager, NL

Joe Girardi, Marlins

The youngest (and cheapest) team in baseball has flourished under the no-nonsense style of its 41-year-old rookie manager. Expected by most to flop to the tune of 100-plus losses, the post-fire-sale Marlins owned the majors' best record since May 22 (20-9) and, remarkably, were only 2 1/2 games out of second place in the East. http://premium.si.cnn.com/pr/subs2/siexclu...mid.awards0703/

girardi and the team have had a great start.. :thumbup

If you dont count April and May :thumbup

i'm talking about overall

Yeah our main go lets get over .500 then do some damage :mischief2

Technically, you have to do damage to get to .500 in the first place.

I think it has to be our old friend Jim Leyland. They finished 20 games under last year and now are 30 games over at the all star break.

Jim Leyland has a lot more veteran talent to deal with. *shrugs*

so he should get penalized for that?

I think it has to be our old friend Jim Leyland. They finished 20 games under last year and now are 30 games over at the all star break.

so he should get penalized for that?

thats why they have a manager of the year award in both leagues...leyland gets the AL and girardi gets the nl :thumbup

I like Randolph in the NL but Girardi is doing a helluva job

Randolph is doing a nice job but he easily wins Most Boneheaded Managerial move of the first half by inserting Jose Reyes into the game as a pinch runner a day after he received 7 (count em 7) stitches the previous day.

With a 12.5 game lead in the division.

Randolph is doing a nice job but he easily wins Most Boneheaded Managerial move of the first half by inserting Jose Reyes into the game as a pinch runner a day after he received 7 (count em 7) stitches the previous day.

i know every manager makes dumbass moves from time to time...but willie...in my opinion...is an average at best manager who got a big f***ing payroll to get his wins...lets put it this way...if willie is managing the marlins...we have 25 wins at most right now

i know every manager makes dumbass moves from time to time...but willie...in my opinion...is an average at best manager who got a big f***ing payroll to get his wins...lets put it this way...if willie is managing the marlins...we have 25 wins at most right now

lol I have no idea how you could guess at a number like that... I find it funny that managers shouldnt get their props just because of how high their payroll is... what's next, we start taking away Bobby Cox's manager of the year awards because it was unfair that he had Glavine, Smoltz, Maddux, and the Joneses for so long?

lol I have no idea how you could guess at a number like that... I find it funny that managers shouldnt get their props just because of how high their payroll is... what's next, we start taking away Bobby Cox's manager of the year awards because it was unfair that he had Glavine, Smoltz, Maddux, and the Joneses for so long?

bobby cox proved himself to be a great manager before maddux and joneses were there though...im not saying that managers on teams with high payrolls shouldnt get the MOY award, but i just dont think willie is all that good...i mean of all NL teams...what team was supposed to be first no matter what...the muts...manager of the year should go to teams that overachieve, not ones that match expectations

so he should get penalized for that? Nope. Thats why I shrugged.

Leyland right now is the frontrunner for AL MOY. If the Marlins finish around or above .500 I don't see how they can't give Girardi the MOY.

So, the consensus on this board is that the manager of the year award should go to the manager with the most over-achieving team (based on the public's general view of the team before the season began)? If that's the case, then I give it to Bruce Bochy. Who had the Padres winning a tightly contested NL West? The Padres have ONE all-star. Many of the people who evaluated the Marlins from the beginning did not give Beinfest enough credit in assembling a team FULL of talent. Yes, this team is full of inexperienced rookies, but few can deny the talent on this team. However, would anyone on this board suggest that the Padres have MORE talent than the Marlins? Even though the pickings for NL Manager of the year are slim this year, I give it to Bochy.

***caveat***

If the Marlins come anywhere close to sniffing the wild card, it would be a travesty NOT to give it to Girardi.