Marlins trying to get JP back?

Ramp

I was told by someone very high up in the Marlins organization that they are currently exploring a possible re-acquirement of Juan Pierre... Names being thrown around are JT Restko, Reynel Pinto, and Adam Bostick. I dont think that means all together, just names the Cubs have inquired about.

thats all I got at this time but I figured I needed to share this with you guys

The buzz this would generate around South Fla would be great and seriously, is there anyone better than JP for Reggie(if he stayed up with the club) to follow for a few months?

No to Pinto for JP

Imagine the pawnage though in the fact that if we give them back Pinto means we basically got Mitre and Nolasco for letting the cubs borrow a (until recently)horrible Juan Pierre for a half a year. Pierre would be nice and if we were serious about a WC run certaintly help us alot. He knows this field and could plug him right back in the leadoff spot and in CF. Certaintly interesting to think about. He has been playing very well lately.

1. Pierre

2. Hermida

3. Cabs

4. Uggla

5. Jacobs

6. Willingham

7. Ramirez

8. Olivo

Pretty nice.

there are better, younger, cheaper options than JP for this years version of the marlins

Juan is hitting .350 his last 36 games, and if it costs us one of the players mentioned above, that is pretty damn cheap

and how about the smile on DTrain's face?.... dude would be throwing shutouts night after night

I don't want to trade Pinto for JP so we can say OMGPWNED!!!! And honestly, even though it's a lineup that is terrible defensively in the outfield, I like Willy-Ross-Hermida better than Willy-JP-Hermida for the rest of this year.

Now while I don't particularly want to reacquire Pierre, I'm not oppossed to it if he can be had for a reasonable price. I don't view Pinto for Pierre as a reasonable price - I'd rather see the Fish give up a guy who is less advanced (someone in A ball or maybe AA) but might have more upside than a close to MLB-ready guy like Pinto.

Bostick for JP would be something I would think about, though, as Bostick doesn't really seem to have a long term place with the organization.

I don't want to trade Pinto for JP so we can say OMGPWNED!!!! And honestly, even though it's a lineup that is terrible defensively in the outfield, I like Willy-Ross-Hermida better than Willy-JP-Hermida for the rest of this year.

That OF has such limited range though it would surely cost a game or two. Playing in Joe Robbie you need a better defensive OF than Willy-Ross-Hermida.

That OF has such limited range though it would surely cost a game or two. Playing in Joe Robbie you need a better defensive OF than Willy-Ross-Hermida.

I don't doubt the range argument with regard to that outfield, but Pierre isn't exactly a gold glover out there and his noodle arm doesn't help matters either. He can make up for it when he hits, but if you make the trade you're gambling that his recent hot streak is a sign of things to come rather than just a blip on the radar. And with Pinto, I'm not willing to make that gamble. With Bostick it's a maybe. Restko I'd rather not because of the lack of OF prospects in the organization, even if Restko's season this year leaves many things to be desired.

I also like Hanley as a leadoff hitter (I don't see it as a hugely pressing issue at this point) and would rather have a guy like Ross in CF who adds some pop to the lineup than someone who is largely a singles hitter, even if he has been a good leadoff hitter in the past.

If we do acquire him,i'd like to see a platoon of Ross and Amezaga in LF

Josh has been struggling lately

and i'm all in for JP

JP and his best friend D-Train back together?

nothing better than that type of fire on the team to start off a game dude

right now JP is making 5.7 mil through 2006,it'll be an interesting move if we make this trade

You know, the minute I read the title I immediately thought that this move might be made with the ulterior motive of getting D Train pumped and excited. Not to mention JP was a huge clubhouse personality.

I would be 100 percent in favor of this move if all we have to give up is Pinto. I'm high on Pinto for sure, but his control is a huge issue, and we are already stacked at center.

If this move is made, you know the organization is actually looking to contend this year, and that is great to know.

If we do acquire him,i'd like to see a platoon of Ross and Amezaga in LF

Josh has been struggling lately

and i'm all in for JP

JP and his best friend D-Train back together?

nothing better than that type of fire on the team to start off a game dude

right now JP is making 5.7 mil through 2006,it'll be an interesting move if we make this trade

It's funny you mention that, because I think Ross' great play of late might actually be the reason they are looking to get a CF. Willy has been shyte recently and Ross is on FIYA. But Ross isn't a center fielder, and I think he'll be more comfy in left.

Yeah, I'm dropping in just to comment on this.

I talked this idea up so much that Ramp went and got some info on it. :lol

I so want this to happen and now, I actually think it might.

We're not going to be giving up anything major for him, so it's a no-lose situation.

He'll come back for 2 months, be a model of work ethic for the kids and an immediate leader and then he'll head into FA and be on his way.

Doesn't hurt that he's hitting about .370 this month.

Nice for Shadez to be around him for a couple months too. He strikes me as a guy JP would take under his wing.

And, while it's no guarantee, JP is the kind of guy who could spark something big over the last couple months if everything clicks right.

Later!

I don't doubt the range argument with regard to that outfield, but Pierre isn't exactly a gold glover out there and his noodle arm doesn't help matters either. He can make up for it when he hits, but if you make the trade you're gambling that his recent hot streak is a sign of things to come rather than just a blip on the radar. And with Pinto, I'm not willing to make that gamble. With Bostick it's a maybe. Restko I'd rather not because of the lack of OF prospects in the organization, even if Restko's season this year leaves many things to be desired.

I also like Hanley as a leadoff hitter (I don't see it as a hugely pressing issue at this point) and would rather have a guy like Ross in CF who adds some pop to the lineup than someone who is largely a singles hitter, even if he has been a good leadoff hitter in the past.

Check it out...

Hanley is manly and he is definitey lead-off type quality. But look further down the lineup, and you'll notice that things needs to be shaken up. Obviously the team won with the speed formula at the top of the lineup in '03, maybe they are seeing similar possibilities with JP/Ramirez. And with Willy struggling as he is, this gives them the opportunity to push Uggla to 3rd (or 5th) while keeping things legit:

1-JP

2-Hanley

3-Uggla

4-Cabs

5-Jacobs

6-Hermida

7-LF

8-C

Now you could easily switch around those 3-4-5 hitters and it would still work. Point is, this gives us more depth in the lineup, and more wiggle room as to whom we can switch around in the OF (namely messing around with the Ross/Willy plattoon and seeing what works).

Amezaga is Mr. Utility and the club would be smart to realize that. A nice guy to start every 3 days or so to give a guy a rest. Ross is starting to look like 'starting' quality, just at the same time Willy is slowing down big time.

Oh ya, the work ethic as Hugg mentioned is a huge thing. These young guys can learn so much from a dedicated player like JP.

Not to mention they can really bring back the goofiness into the clubhouse (not that it isn't there right now).

AND JP can teach everyone some freestyle.

PEACE

Check it out...

Hanley is manly and he is definitey lead-off type quality. But look further down the lineup, and you'll notice that things needs to be shaken up. Obviously the team won with the speed formula at the top of the lineup in '03, maybe they are seeing similar possibilities with JP/Ramirez. And with Willy struggling as he is, this gives them the opportunity to push Uggla to 3rd (or 5th) while keeping things legit:

1-JP

2-Hanley

3-Uggla

4-Cabs

5-Jacobs

6-Hermida

7-LF

8-C

Now you could easily switch around those 3-4-5 hitters and it would still work. Point is, this gives us more depth in the lineup, and more wiggle room as to whom we can switch around in the OF (namely messing around with the Ross/Willy plattoon and seeing what works).

Amezaga is Mr. Utility and the club would be smart to realize that. A nice guy to start every 3 days or so to give a guy a rest. Ross is starting to look like 'starting' quality, just at the same time Willy is slowing down big time.

That's your opinion, and that's fine, I just disagree. I don't want Amezaga starting either - I also like him better as a utility guy. I like the lineup with Ross in CF and Willy in LF better than one with Pierre in CF and Ross or Willy in LF even with the shoddy range defensively.

Now if the price is right (someone like Bostick), I don't see a problem with gambling on JP. Just don't overpay for the guy. Sure, he's an upgrade over Abercrombie (who isn't?), but personally I'm not high enough on him to give up Pinto.