Joe Borowski

I love this idea that there is some "sucker" out there.

First of all, one has to assume that if your team is leading a division, or in a battle for a division lead or the wildcard, there almost certainly is a GM making decisions who was smart enough to put that team together.

To think that one morning, before Admin Beinfest comes calling, he's going to take a handful of stupid pills is ridiculous. It just doesn't work that way.

while joe has exceded expectations i cant see any team raiding the farm for him , he is a 35 year old relief pitcher whose stuff is average at best , doesnt have a great out pitch , and basically with guile has revived his career . If i am the Marlins and i get offered a package with a top level prospect i move joe because next year he will fall back down to earth .

I don't see us making any moves, nor do I think we should. Our realistic goal right now is to get to .500. I don't see Beinfest making any trades to improve this team to make a run at .500. A run at the Wild Card would be nice, but we need to get leapfrog a lot of teams first. The team has been doing very well and Borowski is a huge part of it. I'd hold on to him for now and we can look at someone else for next year, if necessary.

First of all, one has to assume that if your team is leading a division, or in a battle for a division lead or the wildcard, there almost certainly is a GM making decisions who was smart enough to put that team together.

To think that one morning, before Admin Beinfest comes calling, he's going to take a handful of stupid pills is ridiculous. It just doesn't work that way.

I have to disagree. I think there are some teams out there that could possibly make a "stupid" offer for Borowski. There are a lot of teams in the Wild Card race that feel that they are a solid bullpen arm away from making a serious run. It's happened before and it'll happen again. I believe that the Mets once traded Jason Bay to San Diego for Steve Reed. It was only a year ago that the Marlins traded a decent prospect for Ron Villone. I'm not saying that the Marlins should trade Borowski, but I wouldn't rule out someone making a ridiculous offer.

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Borowski going to the Cubs for Pierre. The Cubs need a closer, Dempster isn't the answer. It would probably take more than Joe to get the deal done. Maybe JoeBo and a mid-level prospect would get it done?

The Cubs don't want Borowski. They should be in rebuilding mode, what would they possibly want with a 35 year old closer? If they do trade JP or anyone else, it'll be for prospects.

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Borowski going to the Cubs for Pierre. The Cubs need a closer, Dempster isn't the answer. It would probably take more than Joe to get the deal done. Maybe JoeBo and a mid-level prospect would get it done?

Borowski is only signed through this year...Cubs have no intentions of competing this year. No chance.

I still wouldn't mind seeing Borowski traded because he would bring back a decent prospect or two

I have to disagree. I think there are some teams out there that could possibly make a "stupid" offer for Borowski. There are a lot of teams in the Wild Card race that feel that they are a solid bullpen arm away from making a serious run.

It seems the Marlins are one of those teams if there is any truth to the rumor the Marlins made an offer to the Cubs for Scott Eyre.

I have to disagree. I think there are some teams out there that could possibly make a "stupid" offer for Borowski. There are a lot of teams in the Wild Card race that feel that they are a solid bullpen arm away from making a serious run.

It seems the Marlins are one of those teams if there is any truth to the rumor the Marlins made an offer to the Cubs for Scott Eyre.

They did.

When I made my comment I was referring to contending teams (which I thought I made clear) who I believe are contending teams because, in part they have good GMs and management, not a team like the Cubs who are out of contention and have different motives at this time of the season.

You look at the teams ahead of us in the wildcard (or contending in the AL) and it's hard to find a bad GM in the bunch. Does that mean that even the best GMs don't make mistakes from time to time? No. It means even when a deal doesn't work out, contending team GMs usually don't make trades that don't work out out of "stupidity", but rather for other reasons.

An example might be the Marlins trade with LA where Mota was arm tired and LoDuca quickly became injured through no fault of the GM. Things happen.

unless we get a guaranteed game winner...I seriously mean Pujols/Big Papi levels...then I'd rather stick with the team we have and let them make an honest run...I think that in our rebuilding phase, taking a gamble with a trade is not worth the risk...I say only make a trade if its not a gamble, just a guarantee...of course, thats a catch 22 because theres no way the Marlins have the finances nor the necessary ingredients to bank a "guaranteed" winner...so we're better off sticking to our ground

The Cubs don't want Borowski. They should be in rebuilding mode, what would they possibly want with a 35 year old closer? If they do trade JP or anyone else, it'll be for prospects.

I doubt the cubs will go into the rebuilding mode. I didn't realize borowksi had a 1-year deal. I was thinking they could use borowski in the next few years. I don't think the Cubs will start trading away all of their players for prospects, like we did. They'll probably sign a few free agents and they'll be back in the race next year.