Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Future bats in the minors ?

Featured Replies

To me the one glaring weakness outside of mid/late relief is the lack of power for this team. I hope I don't sound overly pessimistic, but I don't think Jeremy Hermida has lived up to the expectations. We needed at least 20 HR's from him this year. I'm just not sure he'll ever be the bat we once thought he would be. Certainly others on the board here know more about player developement and maybe they can help out with what should be my realistic expectations. But quite frankly he has disappointed me. The buildup before the season was this guy was a "power bat" but if he is he must have hidden his really good at-bats til August/September.

 

What are the future prospects at the plate in the minors ? Also why is it that this organization just never seems to draft and produce good hitters ? :confused I can't remember if the Marlins have ever drafted and molded a really decent power hitter. But after 14 seasons you'd have thought at least one would have come up.

 

I hope I don't seem too down, I'm really not as the team has far exceeded even my 1st expectations, but I just wish we had that one "STUD" we could draft and get to put the fear into the britches of the opposing picthers and outfielders :thumbup

Yes, Hermida has been disappointing this year. With that said, they're on pace to set a home-run record for the franchise, and did so for a month in July. I'm not seeing a lack in power.

  • Author

Yes, Hermida has been disappointing this year. With that said, they're on pace to set a home-run record for the franchise, and did so for a month in July. I'm not seeing a lack in power.

 

 

Madman I hope you are right, but it just seems we've lost too many games because we didn't have some power. We are one of the lowest scoring teams in MLB as we are tied for 5th lowest RBI total in the majors. Only Tampa, Milwaukee and the Cubs have scored fewer runs than the Marlins. That is putting too much pressure on the young pitching and I am afraid they are at the breaking point. This next week will tell a lot about what we should expect in September.

To me the one glaring weakness outside of mid/late relief is the lack of power for this team. I hope I don't sound overly pessimistic, but I don't think Jeremy Hermida has lived up to the expectations. We needed at least 20 HR's from him this year. I'm just not sure he'll ever be the bat we once thought he would be.

 

 

 

 

YES HE WILL. Stop with these idiotic statements already, please ! The man is in a horrible slump right now, is 22 years old, he battled injuries all year and still has a respectable BA, OBP and SLG %. He will be fine, he will be a superstar and a cornerstone of this franchise.

To me the one glaring weakness outside of mid/late relief is the lack of power for this team. I hope I don't sound overly pessimistic, but I don't think Jeremy Hermida has lived up to the expectations. We needed at least 20 HR's from him this year. I'm just not sure he'll ever be the bat we once thought he would be.

 

 

 

 

YES HE WILL. Stop with these idiotic statements already, please ! The man is in a horrible slump right now, is 22 years old, he battled injuries all year and still has a respectable BA, OBP and SLG %. He will be fine, he will be a superstar and a cornerstone of this franchise.

 

 

thank you, and for hitters produced, hmm there was this guy named Miguel Cabrera.

I can't remember if the Marlins have ever drafted and molded a really decent power hitter.

 

 

Miguel Cabrera?

I can't remember if the Marlins have ever drafted and molded a really decent power hitter.

 

 

Miguel Cabrera?

 

Well, to be fair we did not draft Cabs but we did mold him. As far as drafting a "power hitter", we really haven't done too well in that area,that is true, but this team has won two world series with the philosophy always being to build around pitching,speed and defense, not power.

Hermida has been a disappointment so far. We must remember however, that he was hurt for about a month and his HR and RBI numbers reflect this.

 

I also expected more from Jacobs. Ramirez and Willingham started hot but have come down to earth lately. Ramirez's defense and base-running have also disappointed. The revolving door at CF has still not stopped. For a while Ross seemed to be the answer, but not really.

 

I am very pleased with Uggla and lately Olivo has really impressed me.

 

Cabrera' s offense has been rock solid as expected and his defense at third has improved dramatically since April.

 

Willis has not been sharp. Having an occasional fine game does not make up for the horrible starts he has also had.

 

Johnson and Olsen show a lot of promise.

Nolasco and Sanchez can be brilliant some starts and look like the rookies that they are the next.

 

Borowski has done a fine job. Kensing ( now hurt) has been inconsistent in the 8th inning, giving up too many HR. Messenger and Herges have their good and bad days. Moehler is a very good long or middle reliever, not a good starter any more. Pinto has looked good lately. Tankersley is a keeper. Mitre will be back soon and will probably have a chance to start down the stretch run.

 

Amezaga, Borchard and Helms are good bench players. Treanor I guess is OK for a back-up. Abercrombie should be in the minors or retire.

 

For next year (assuming we still have a limited budget) I would suggest:

 

KEEP INFIELDERS: Jacobs, Uggla, Cabrera,Olivo. Give Ramirez time to improve

KEEP OUTFIELDERS: Hermida, Willingham

KEEP STARTERS: Willis, Johnson, Olsen, Nolasco, Sanches, Mitre

KEEP RELIEVERS: Moehler, Tankersley, Borowski

KEEP BENCH: Amezaga, Borchard, Helms

 

Trade to try to improve over: Ross, Abercrombie, Treanor, Kensing, Messenger, Herges,

 

 

In other words, we need what everyone knows. A center fielder with power and a better bullpen, while hoping that our young players mature.

I hope I don't sound overly pessimistic, but I don't think Jeremy Hermida has lived up to the expectations. We needed at least 20 HR's from him this year.

 

You do sound overly pessimistic. Relax.

 

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/5543/c...dw3my16r52FCLcF

 

Add 2-4 prime years in the middle because Hermida is 3 years 'younger' when they broke into the bigs. Brian Giles did not hit over 17 HR until he was 28. I don't think it will take Jeremy that long, but he just needs a few seasons under his belt and then he'll turn into a monster.

What are the future prospects at the plate in the minors ? Also why is it that this organization just never seems to draft and produce good hitters ? :confused I can't remember if the Marlins have ever drafted and molded a really decent power hitter. But after 14 seasons you'd have thought at least one would have come up.

 

In their history the Marlins haven't gotten many good players through the draft. I think the only players we've drafted that have had relatively long and good careers are CJ, Kotsay and Beckett. It looks like JJ, Olsen, Hermida and Willingham may end up having good careers but it's too early to tell. The only undrafted free agents we've signed that have had good careers are Castillo, Gonzalez and Cabrera. Much of our success has come through players acquired through trades and free agency.

 

Hermida has been a disappointment so far. We must remember however, that he was hurt for about a month and his HR and RBI numbers reflect this.

 

I also expected more from Jacobs. Ramirez and Willingham started hot but have come down to earth lately. Ramirez's defense and base-running have also disappointed. The revolving door at CF has still not stopped. For a while Ross seemed to be the answer, but not really.

 

I am very pleased with Uggla and lately Olivo has really impressed me.

 

Cabrera' s offense has been rock solid as expected and his defense at third has improved dramatically since April.

 

Willis has not been sharp. Having an occasional fine game does not make up for the horrible starts he has also had.

 

Johnson and Olsen show a lot of promise.

Nolasco and Sanchez can be brilliant some starts and look like the rookies that they are the next.

 

Borowski has done a fine job. Kensing ( now hurt) has been inconsistent in the 8th inning, giving up too many HR. Messenger and Herges have their good and bad days. Moehler is a very good long or middle reliever, not a good starter any more. Pinto has looked good lately. Tankersley is a keeper. Mitre will be back soon and will probably have a chance to start down the stretch run.

 

Amezaga, Borchard and Helms are good bench players. Treanor I guess is OK for a back-up. Abercrombie should be in the minors or retire.

 

For next year (assuming we still have a limited budget) I would suggest:

 

KEEP INFIELDERS: Jacobs, Uggla, Cabrera,Olivo. Give Ramirez time to improve

KEEP OUTFIELDERS: Hermida, Willingham

KEEP STARTERS: Willis, Johnson, Olsen, Nolasco, Sanches, Mitre

KEEP RELIEVERS: Moehler, Tankersley, Borowski

KEEP BENCH: Amezaga, Borchard, Helms

 

Trade to try to improve over: Ross, Abercrombie, Treanor, Kensing, Messenger, Herges,

 

 

In other words, we need what everyone knows. A center fielder with power and a better bullpen, while hoping that our young players mature.

 

I pretty much agree with everything except Moehler. Why keep him? He's good for mop-op duty, nothing more.

I can't remember if the Marlins have ever drafted and molded a really decent power hitter.

 

 

Miguel Cabrera?

 

Well, to be fair we did not draft Cabs but we did mold him. As far as drafting a "power hitter", we really haven't done too well in that area,that is true, but this team has won two world series with the philosophy always being to build around pitching,speed and defense, not power.

who drafted him?

I can't remember if the Marlins have ever drafted and molded a really decent power hitter.

 

 

Miguel Cabrera?

 

Well, to be fair we did not draft Cabs but we did mold him. As far as drafting a "power hitter", we really haven't done too well in that area,that is true, but this team has won two world series with the philosophy always being to build around pitching,speed and defense, not power.

who drafted him?

 

 

international players are not drafted.. we signed him when he was 16, which is the equivalent of drafting him

I can't remember if the Marlins have ever drafted and molded a really decent power hitter.

 

 

Miguel Cabrera?

 

Well, to be fair we did not draft Cabs but we did mold him. As far as drafting a "power hitter", we really haven't done too well in that area,that is true, but this team has won two world series with the philosophy always being to build around pitching,speed and defense, not power.

who drafted him?

He was signed by the Marlins as an undrafted free agent out of Venezuela. He was not eligible for the draft.

To me the one glaring weakness outside of mid/late relief is the lack of power for this team. I hope I don't sound overly pessimistic, but I don't think Jeremy Hermida has lived up to the expectations. We needed at least 20 HR's from him this year. I'm just not sure he'll ever be the bat we once thought he would be. Certainly others on the board here know more about player developement and maybe they can help out with what should be my realistic expectations. But quite frankly he has disappointed me. The buildup before the season was this guy was a "power bat" but if he is he must have hidden his really good at-bats til August/September.

 

i dont know where the build up started that hermida was a power bat.... even in the minors hermida projected as a guy who would hit no more than 30 hrs.. yet when they make the projections they dont necessarily mean he will meet the expectations in his first year.. like i posted in another thread you guys are spoiled by the success of cabrera, and expect all rookies to come in and hit. Some guys take longer to adjust to the majors, like Justin Morneau of the twins. He did alright his first year and a half, before breaking out this year.

I'd suggest looking at the stats of our young hitters in their first full year of competition (in a pitchers park), and then comparing them with other established hitters in their first year.

 

I looked up some MLB players as their names popped into my head, here are their stats from their first significant season.

 

Derrek Lee hit .236/.318/.414

Mike Lowell hit .253/.317/.419

Jose Reyes hit .273/.300/.386

Gary Sheffield hit .247/.303/.337

Alfonso Soriano hit .268/.304/.432

Barry Bonds hit .223/.330/.416

 

I could go on, but I think that'll do.

  • Author

Thanks for all the replies, and many of the answers were very informative.

 

As for Cabrera, that was a big (((((OOPS))))) :p on my part. But still as someone else pointed out, we have not had a really good draft history, but have done better with aquiring them in trades.

Hermida has been a disappointment so far. We must remember however, that he was hurt for about a month and his HR and RBI numbers reflect this.

 

I also expected more from Jacobs. Ramirez and Willingham started hot but have come down to earth lately. Ramirez's defense and base-running have also disappointed. The revolving door at CF has still not stopped. For a while Ross seemed to be the answer, but not really.

 

I am very pleased with Uggla and lately Olivo has really impressed me.

 

Cabrera' s offense has been rock solid as expected and his defense at third has improved dramatically since April.

 

Willis has not been sharp. Having an occasional fine game does not make up for the horrible starts he has also had.

 

Johnson and Olsen show a lot of promise.

Nolasco and Sanchez can be brilliant some starts and look like the rookies that they are the next.

 

Borowski has done a fine job. Kensing ( now hurt) has been inconsistent in the 8th inning, giving up too many HR. Messenger and Herges have their good and bad days. Moehler is a very good long or middle reliever, not a good starter any more. Pinto has looked good lately. Tankersley is a keeper. Mitre will be back soon and will probably have a chance to start down the stretch run.

 

Amezaga, Borchard and Helms are good bench players. Treanor I guess is OK for a back-up. Abercrombie should be in the minors or retire.

 

For next year (assuming we still have a limited budget) I would suggest:

 

KEEP INFIELDERS: Jacobs, Uggla, Cabrera,Olivo. Give Ramirez time to improve

KEEP OUTFIELDERS: Hermida, Willingham

KEEP STARTERS: Willis, Johnson, Olsen, Nolasco, Sanches, Mitre

KEEP RELIEVERS: Moehler, Tankersley, Borowski

KEEP BENCH: Amezaga, Borchard, Helms

 

Trade to try to improve over: Ross, Abercrombie, Treanor, Kensing, Messenger, Herges,

 

 

In other words, we need what everyone knows. A center fielder with power and a better bullpen, while hoping that our young players mature.

 

 

 

Keep Moehler??? With all the talent we have in the minors? Must be crazy!

  • Author

Keep Moehler??? With all the talent we have in the minors? Must be crazy!

 

 

Experience would be the only factor to keep him. Even next year the guys will still be getting their feet wet. You do have to have SOME experience in the bullpen, unless you are throwing away the season from the start. This year he makes around $ 1 million, so its not like he costs too too much.

Hermida has been a disappointment so far. We must remember however, that he was hurt for about a month and his HR and RBI numbers reflect this.

 

I also expected more from Jacobs. Ramirez and Willingham started hot but have come down to earth

 

 

May I ask what you expected from him? All hes had is a bad first month. Hes hitting .310 with 12 Hr 33 RBI in the last 3 months.

 

Seriously he isnt Carlos Delgado YET. Plus hes doing all this with a messed up toe.

 

I am actually very pleased wth his performance whoever isnt must have some sort of personal vendetta against him.

Hermida has been a disappointment so far. We must remember however, that he was hurt for about a month and his HR and RBI numbers reflect this.

 

I also expected more from Jacobs. Ramirez and Willingham started hot but have come down to earth

 

 

May I ask what you expected from him? All hes had is a bad first month. Hes hitting .310 with 12 Hr 33 RBI in the last 3 months.

 

Seriously he isnt Carlos Delgado YET. Plus hes doing all this with a messed up toe.

 

I am actually very pleased wth his performance whoever isnt must have some sort of personal vendetta against him.

 

 

Unfortunately the first month of the season counts.

 

And Beastie, there is no personal vendetta, so please take a Valium.

Yes, Hermida has been disappointing this year. With that said, they're on pace to set a home-run record for the franchise, and did so for a month in July. I'm not seeing a lack in power.

 

 

Madman I hope you are right, but it just seems we've lost too many games because we didn't have some power. We are one of the lowest scoring teams in MLB as we are tied for 5th lowest RBI total in the majors. Only Tampa, Milwaukee and the Cubs have scored fewer runs than the Marlins. That is putting too much pressure on the young pitching and I am afraid they are at the breaking point. This next week will tell a lot about what we should expect in September.

 

And I see it differently. I think we have lost too many games BECAUSE players were swinging away and not just trying to put the ball in play to extend innings. Rookie mistake. I like to see the fireworks after a HR as much as anyone but that is not how this team is built. Speed kills. And good pitching beats good hitting every time.

Another big problem is our D. We are most likely going to set a new Marlins record for errors in a year. That record now belongs to the '98 team. But not for long.

Guys i hate lame fair weather fans...Hermida was hitting .305 2 weeks ago...yes he is in a slump but he is not looking bad at the plate...he will have hits start dropping in again...Our Lineup is more than adequate in the power area...We Have Cabs, Uggla, Jake and Willy is hitting with power again...Cody can jack it don't forget Shadez has good power...What about Olivo as far as catchers we hit the lottery...he has more power than most catchers in baseball...Our minors is stocked in the piyching area We Know that! You will see some hitters filter up soon...I love our last draft..With our surplus in pitching any holes in our lineup will easily be filled. It's a shame this team is so ahead of schedule that it leads to unfair expectations. Sit back and enjoy...Our Marlins are fun to watch!

I still want to put hermida in the 2 spot with his high OBP, then slide uggla to 5th right behind miggy to give him some more protection.

I still want to put hermida in the 2 spot with his high OBP, then slide uggla to 5th right behind miggy to give him some more protection.

 

 

 

No doubt in my mind either that Hermida should be the 2 hitter on this team. The dude was born to tbe the # 2 guy on a World Series winning team.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.