David Wells Traded To Padres

The_Godfather

That would be an incredible overpay by the Padres. Not sure where the heck Boston would put Kott with Ortiz at DH and Tek at C, but I'm sure they are willing to deal with that problem when it gets here, or use him for capital in another trade. Would be a real nice move for Boston.

That would be an incredible overpay by the Padres. Not sure where the heck Boston would put Kott with Ortiz at DH and Tek at C, but I'm sure they are willing to deal with that problem when it gets here, or use him for capital in another trade. Would be a real nice move for Boston.

Umm...in case you haven't noticed, Varitek is injured.

And San Diego improves how by this trade? Wells has blown this year. lol.

Last 5 Starts:

38 IP, 2.36 ERA, 4/1 SO-BB

He has made only 8 starts this year and besides the two that were when he was injured and the one when he came off the DL he has been great.

So no, he hasn't 'blown'. lol.

And San Diego improves how by this trade? Wells has blown this year. lol.

Last 5 Starts:

38 IP, 2.36 ERA, 4/1 SO-BB

He has made only 8 starts this year and besides the two that were when he was injured and the one when he came off the DL he has been great.

So no, he hasn't 'blown'. I'm a little bitter that he's been out all year with my alligience to the Red Sox... :p

If the Red Sox did in fact get Kottaras, that is a very good deal. First good deal for Theo in a long time.

:lol

Changed it to the Red Sox because Theo didn't make the Beckett/Lowell trade.

:lol

Hanley Ramirez and Anibal Sanchez for Beckett and Lowell is extremely lopsided in the Marlins favor right now, and I don't see a scenario where that will change. Bad move by the Red Sox.

Sox traded Josh Bard for Doug Mirabelli. Horrible move.

Wily Mo Pena for Bronson Arroya. Questionable move. Really the only one worth debating.

Coco Crisp looks to be a bust and I'm sure you'd much rather have Edgar Renteria(who was traded for Andy Marte, the centerpiece of the Crisp deal). So the Coco deal: bad deal.

Javy Lopez = bust

Eric Hinske = bust

Theo failed to get a bat at the deadline.

And if you gave up even a 39 year old reliever in single A to get Jason Johnson from the Indians...you got RIPPED OFF. So anyways, in conclusion I do agree that the moves the Red Sox have made are very comical. But hey, look at the brightside: You're still 2 games ahead of the Blue Jays. :thumbup

I've stated this numerous times but I'll have to do it again I guess.

Hanley Ramirez and Anibal Sanchez do not help the Red Sox as much as Lowell and Beckett do this season. Just because a trade turns out well for one side, doesn't mean the reverse side was bad. You can't assume, and I think it's foolish to, that the success of those two players in the AL and in Fenway would be the same as it is in the learning, pressure free, and pitching friendly confines of Florida. I think Beckett is going to be more like the pitcher he was in '04 after this season and he has reset his mind since the Yankee series and pitched well again.

Josh Bard couldn't catch a knuckleball which we needed our backup catcher to do, Mirabelli can. Bard had no place in Boston after his defensive troubles.

Wily Mo Pena for Bronson Arroyo is not a questionable move. It helped us this season alot and gave us our starting RFer in 2007 while saving us money. Arroyo got worse in his 2nd full season in Boston as his H/9, HR/9, BB/9 all went up and his SO/9 went down. The book on Arroyo in the AL had been written, published, and sold. He wasn't going to get magically be able to get the majority of Yankees out. The Sox aren't a playoff team with or without Arroyo but they improved themselves by acquiring a young power bat.

Javy Lopez was a waiver deal that was needed because Jason Varitek was hurt. I don't know what the hell you thought was going to happen out of this but it's hardly a knock on Theo that Javy Lopez was crappy. He simply needed someone to plug-in over the end of the season and he got the best available.

We got paid to take Eric Hinske and he simply added a left handed bat off the bench and a guy who could play in the infield and outfield. It's a move that many GMs make to secure depth and add the occassional HR or RBI. I don't know why this is a 'bust'.

Nice jackass comment on your last line though. It's fans like you that prevent me from totally backing the Marlins in the stretch run and playoffs and such because of juvenille crap like that. I could respond with some flipant Marlins comment but I don't need to swoop down to your level when I have a discussion.

BTW it's 3 games now, Bub. :thumbup

Nice jackass comment on your last line though. It's fans like you that prevent me from totally backing the Marlins in the stretch run and playoffs and such because of juvenille crap like that. I could respond with some flipant Marlins comment but I don't need to swoop down to your level when I have a discussion.

Should we be sad about that or something ? The sad part is you spending so much time on a team's fan site that you don't even back in the stretch run.

I've stated this numerous times but I'll have to do it again I guess.

Hanley Ramirez and Anibal Sanchez do not help the Red Sox as much as Lowell and Beckett do this season. Just because a trade turns out well for one side, doesn't mean the reverse side was bad. You can't assume, and I think it's foolish to, that the success of those two players in the AL and in Fenway would be the same as it is in the learning, pressure free, and pitching friendly confines of Florida. I think Beckett is going to be more like the pitcher he was in '04 after this season and he has reset his mind since the Yankee series and pitched well again.

Josh Bard couldn't catch a knuckleball which we needed our backup catcher to do, Mirabelli can. Bard had no place in Boston after his defensive troubles.

Wily Mo Pena for Bronson Arroyo is not a questionable move. It helped us this season alot and gave us our starting RFer in 2007 while saving us money. Arroyo got worse in his 2nd full season in Boston as his H/9, HR/9, BB/9 all went up and his SO/9 went down. The book on Arroyo in the AL had been written, published, and sold. He wasn't going to get magically be able to get the majority of Yankees out. The Sox aren't a playoff team with or without Arroyo but they improved themselves by acquiring a young power bat.

Javy Lopez was a waiver deal that was needed because Jason Varitek was hurt. I don't know what the hell you thought was going to happen out of this but it's hardly a knock on Theo that Javy Lopez was crappy. He simply needed someone to plug-in over the end of the season and he got the best available.

We got paid to take Eric Hinske and he simply added a left handed bat off the bench and a guy who could play in the infield and outfield. It's a move that many GMs make to secure depth and add the occassional HR or RBI. I don't know why this is a 'bust'.

All good points that I agree with, however I'll never understand why the heck Boston gave up Meredith in the Mirabelli/Bard swap. Kid is only 23 years old and has a 0.89 ERA in 30 games for the Fathers. Obviously that trade was needed for the Wakefield catcher purpose, but couldn't they have just thrown in a PTBNL along with Bard?