Olivo tiring?

Hotcorner

Regarding Olivo's struggles last night, Tommy Hutton remarked that he looks like he needs a rest. I don't think he's ever been used this much before. Could he be wearing down?

2 for his last 31. Might be wise to stick Treanor in there a little more often to keep Olivo fresh for the stretch run. I certainly expect Matt to be in the lineup for this afternoon's game...

He probably does need a rest.

He's also a really streaky hitter.

I can understand though that its a tough decision to sit him.

Lets face it, when you bring Treanor in its a slight defensive downgrade and an offensive downgrade (although with Olivo really struggling offensively right now it may not be).

It probably wouldn't be the worst idea to bring Hoover back up in a few days to backup Treanor and give Olivo a few days off.

Or absent that, in any games in hand or out of hand, to replace Olivo early.

But at the same time here we are in the wildcard race (root for Cincy and Atlanta today) and it's hard to bench your starting catcher even if he's exhausted. It's one of those decisions I'm willing to leave up to the manager.

Olivo shouldn't be catching more than 4 out of 5 games but it's obvious why Girardi is reluctant to use Treanor. The same thing happened last year. Lo Duca could barely walk but McKeon rarely used Treanor in the last few weeks.

I would give Treanor some more starts but if he comes up with RISP in the middle innings (or later) then replace him with Olivo so Olivo gets those ABs and also take out Olivo out of out of hand games.

It probably wouldn't be the worst idea to bring Hoover back up in a few days to backup Treanor and give Olivo a few days off.

Or absent that, in any games in hand or out of hand, to replace Olivo early.

But at the same time here we are in the wildcard race (root for Cincy and Atlanta today) and it's hard to bench your starting catcher even if he's exhausted. It's one of those decisions I'm willing to leave up to the manager.

Heck I think Hoover should get a couple of starts as well

I'm sure he was overworked but I think now the Marlins are now seeing why he was with Chicago...then Seattle...then San Diego...then Florida...over a short period of time.

In other words, he's a streaky fastball hitting pitcher. This is why I was skeptical about his hot streak during early to mid summer.

Fastball hitting pitcher? Boy, this guy is more talented that I thought. :mischief

Any ways, I think it is extremely premature and shortsighted to dismiss a whole season's worth of production from a catcher who is in a cold streak during/after being used defensively in 30 of our last 31 games, and starting 27 of those games. That is a lot of work for a catcher.

He probably does need a rest.

He's also a really streaky hitter.

I can understand though that its a tough decision to sit him.

Lets face it, when you bring Treanor in its a slight defensive downgrade and an offensive downgrade (although with Olivo really struggling offensively right now it may not be).

I don't see how he's a defensive downgrade at all. Perhaps not quite the arm Olivo has... but Treanor's no slouch.

It's just silly that Girardi's trotting him out there on a Sunday afternoon game, right after playing 10 innings last night. Not to mention the way he's been slumping at the plate.

You were a catcher yourself Joe. Wake up.

Only thing I can think of is that Olivo has asked Girardi to play, or that there's an understanding between Girardi and Olivo that he's going to need to tough it up for the stretch run.

I know it's reaching, but even Olivo on his worst day this season is no worse than a wash with Treanor at the plate.

It's just silly that Girardi's trotting him out there on a Sunday afternoon game, right after playing 10 innings last night. Not to mention the way he's been slumping at the plate.

You were a catcher yourself Joe. Wake up.

Seriously. And now he's up to 31 defensive appearances (and 28 starts) in our last 32 games.

Thanks to three off-days in the schedule, he's managed to rack up four full days of rest over the last 38 days.

Amazing.

Only thing I can think of is that Olivo has asked Girardi to play, or that there's an understanding between Girardi and Olivo that he's going to need to tough it up for the stretch run.

I know it's reaching, but even Olivo on his worst day this season is no worse than a wash with Treanor at the plate.

I agree a worn-out Olivo is no worse than Treanor but I would also add that a worn-out Olivo is no better than Treanor but a fresh Olivo is A LOT better than Treanor so we need to keep Olivo fresh.