Frank Thomas

QuickGold

At the All-Star break he was hitting .238 and it seemed as though he had nothing left but a few mistake home runs.

But something must have happened... or somehow he adjusted. He's hit .330, not including tonight's game, since the All-Star Break. He has homered in six straight games. He's on pace to smash over 40 HR and he's already hitting above .280.

It's absolutely insane the resurgence he is having at age 38 and in a ballpark that isn't condusive to a home run hitter. I do a double take almost every time I see his HR total on the bottom line ticker.

One of my favorite players ever and I'm glad that he will be going out on such a higher note then he would have if he left in '04 or '05.

HOF.

It's absolutely insane the resurgence he is having at age 38 and in a ballpark that isn't condusive to a home run hitter...

HOF.

Hopefully.

He's a lock. He's going to go back to Oakland next year, and he's several clear of 500 if he can just hit 20 out, plus he has a career average over .300, OBP of about .425, and OPS of 1.000 to go with it. There are several other factors why he's a lock, but those alone mean he'd get in.

It's great to see him doing so well in Oakland, he really needed the change of scenery and all in all, things have worked out for both parties. Still not right to see him playing for somebody else though.

Oakland next year: Frank for ~$6M or Bonds for ~$2M?

Frank. Billy Beane is about winning moreso than selling tickets, and Bonds is very low on gas (even when healthy), whereas Frank is still a monster when healthy.

It's absolutely insane the resurgence he is having at age 38 and in a ballpark that isn't condusive to a home run hitter. I do a double take almost every time I see his HR total on the bottom line ticker.

One of my favorite players ever and I'm glad that he will be going out on such a higher note then he would have if he left in '04 or '05.

HOF.

Actually, it's really not a resurgence to be honest. He never really did lose it, he just couldn't stay healthy. The big problem in the 1st half this year is he still had a bad ankle, but it began to really heal about June or so, and he's been pretty hot since about then.

In base salary. What is he up to now after incentives?

It goes up to 2.6 million depending on plate apperances and I'd have to assume he's gotten that or he is darn close to it. If anyone knows the number I'd appreciate it.

Yeah, I don't have it in front of me but I recall his salary capping itself at about $3 mil if he played in 120 games or so.

From MLB4U:

Signed deal for 2006 season worth $500K on 1/25/06- + he can earn $1.4M in roster bonuses if he is on the active major league roster or not on the DL related to a left foot injury: 325K each on May 1st and June 15th and 375K each on July 15th and Aug. 15th- + he can earn $1.2M in performance bonuses: 200K each for 300, 350, 400, 450, 500 and 550PA- + he receives a 50K bonus for Gold Glove award- + 2005 salary: 8M (+ 3.5M buyout), 2004: 6M, 2003: 5M - + bonuses he has earned: 15K for All-Star selection (2005), $1.025M in roster bonuses (All-Star break 2006), $220K for 300PA (2006)

He apparently is working on an extension with the A's per this article. Which as of 8/27 said he had earned 2.5 out of 3.1 million so far.

I really questioned this move at first, but Thomas has had a great year, when I thought his HOF career was over.

Why'd you question it?

He's getting like $700,000. What's there to lose?

I thought his career was definetly over. I never thought he could of put up the numbers he has. It wasn't much of a finanacial risk, just kinda of a move that made me say "why?"

My 2nd favorite player of all time. Growing up in Buffalo we didn't have a MLB team and there was no such thing as MLB extra innings back then, so we just got WGN and the White Sox games were always on so I became a White Sox fan, I used to love The Big Hurt in the early 90's when I was like 6 and 7 years old.