Silver Lining? FOUND ONE

Mudcatsfan2

We now have the opportunity to make it into the TOP 10 in the 2007 Draft !!!!!!!!

Previously, Drafts had been held in order from worst to first ALTERNATING leagues.

Recently they've changed it so that the worst teams pick first regardless of league.

With the unusual amount of teams hovering just under .500 this year, the Marlins have the opportunity to improve their draft position CONSIDERABLY.

AND yes that's the Cincinatti reds on that list.

So Marlins fans, if we lose, it's cool. We'll just get that much more of a headstart on all these teams in the draft.

[sobs]

East W L PCT

New York 94 62 0.603

Toronto 83 73 0.532

Boston 83 74 0.529

Baltimore 68 88 0.436

Tampa Bay60 96 0.385

Central W L PCT

Detroit 94 62 0.603

Minnesota 93 63 0.596

Chicago 87 70 0.554

Clevela 73 83 0.468

Kansas City58 98 0.372

West W L PCT

Oakland 90 66 0.577

Los Angeles85 71 0.545

Texas 78 79 0.497

Seattle 76 81 0.484

National League

East W L PCT

New York 93 63 0.596

Philadelphia82 74 0.526

Florida 76 80 0.487

Atlanta 75 81 0.481

Washington69 87 0.442

Central W L PCT

St. Louis 80 75 0.516

Houston 78 78 0.5

Cincinnati77 79 0.494

Milwaukee 73 83 0.468

Pittsburgh 65 91 0.417

Chicago 63 94 0.401

West W L PCT

San Diego 84 72 0.538

Los Angeles82 74 0.526

San Francisco75 81 0.481

Arizona 74 82 0.474

Colorado 74 82 0.474

I disagree heartily, especially with your point about how many players are chosen NOT in the first round.

Baseball America and other publications have shown that a HUGE percentage of the STAR players in baseball come from the first two rounds, and mostly the top of the first round.

Yes there's always your outliers, like Piazza in the 47th or Willingham in the 25th, however it's a statistical FACT that if you want a star player, he's either an international signee, or a first round draft pick.

Getting to the 7th spot in the draft is a significant advantage compared to being the 21st pick and still missing the playoffs.

Unless you're picking 1-5, there's little to no difference between 10-20.

Plus, the higher you pick, generally, the more bonus you have to pay out. Given our organization's philosophy in the draft the past few seasons of signability over need, (see: Hansen, Craig; Teagarden, Taylor re: Marceaux, Jacob) it would just piss me off to see us in the top 10 and pass on a quality player to take the more easily signed one.

Besides, we were able to get Hermida in the middle of the first round, and Johnson and Olsen on the second day.

Usually I would agree with the majority in that this isn't a huge plus, BUT this draft is already being hyped as one of the best in the past 10-15 years, very comparable to the Mark Teixeira/ Prior/Joe Mauer at the top, but with better depth. We could badly use an elite position prospect, something we sorely lack in the minor leagues.

A guy like Matt Weiters could start at catcher in 2008,although he is probably a lock to go top 5, but you never know how it shakes out in the MLB draft. Noone would have guessed Andrew Miller would drop to 7.

"Baseball America and other publications have shown that a HUGE percentage of the STAR players in baseball come from the first two rounds, and mostly the top of the first round.

Yes there's always your outliers, like Piazza in the 47th or Willingham in the 25th, however it's a statistical FACT that if you want a star player, he's either an international signee, or a first round draft pick."

Willingham is a "star player?"

Ummmmmm.....ok.

:blink: :confused

"Baseball America and other publications have shown that a HUGE percentage of the STAR players in baseball come from the first two rounds, and mostly the top of the first round.

Yes there's always your outliers, like Piazza in the 47th or Willingham in the 25th, however it's a statistical FACT that if you want a star player, he's either an international signee, or a first round draft pick."

Willingham is a "star player?"

Ummmmmm.....ok.

:blink: :confused

I was making the point that few good players are found outside the first round.

Also, i'm not HAPPY we're out of the playoffs, but as long as we are not in the top 8 teams in baseball, it's a huge benefit to be able to slide all the way down to the 23rd best team rather than the number 9 team.

Top 5 talent sometimes slides as far as 10-15 (Cameron Maybin in 2005) but they tend not to fall farther than that.

It's a great benefit to get into the top 10. It gives us a legit shot at a STAR player in the first round, and even a solid chance at a very good one with our second round pick.

The star is Piazza, Willy not so much.

I disagree heartily, especially with your point about how many players are chosen NOT in the first round.

Baseball America and other publications have shown that a HUGE percentage of the STAR players in baseball come from the first two rounds, and mostly the top of the first round.

Yes there's always your outliers, like Piazza in the 47th or Willingham in the 25th, however it's a statistical FACT that if you want a star player, he's either an international signee, or a first round draft pick.

Getting to the 7th spot in the draft is a significant advantage compared to being the 21st pick and still missing the playoffs.

What are you talking about? :lol

I never said they should forgeit the first 20 rounds or something. I am just saying that to glorify picking a few spots higher is ridiculous. As someone mentioned, this is baseball...not football or basketball.

Unless you're picking 1-5, there's little to no difference between 10-20.

Besides, we were able to get Hermida in the middle of the first round, and Johnson and Olsen on the second day.

Hermida was the number 11 pick, and it was a surprise he went that low.

Quote from article on sleepers from 2002 draft

"First round

At least one team considered lefthander Cole Hamels the single best pitcher in the draft. Yet because he broke the humerus bone in his pitching arm as a high school sophomore–evoking images of Tom Browning, Dave Dravecky and Tony Saunders–clubs were wary of the medical risk. Undeterred, the Phillies took Hamels 17th. Likewise, the consensus was that Jeremy Hermida was the purest hitter available and perhaps the best high school bat since Eric Chavez. At least four of the first eight teams seriously considered Hermida, but he somehow got to the Marlins at No. 11."

I am just saying that to glorify picking a few spots higher is ridiculous. As someone mentioned, this is baseball...not football or basketball.

:banghead

ARRRRRRRRRGH

THAT"S MY WHOLE POINT!!!!!!

It's NOT just a FEW spots.

We can move FIFTEEN spots in the first round over a course of 14 days.

THAT"S INSANE

This IS significant, and i'm sorry if you think i'm crazy for UNDERSTANDING that.

We now have the opportunity to make it into the TOP 10 in the 2007 Draft !!!!!!!!

Previously, Drafts had been held in order from worst to first ALTERNATING leagues.

Recently they've changed it so that the worst teams pick first regardless of league.

With the unusual amount of teams hovering just under .500 this year, the Marlins have the opportunity to improve their draft position CONSIDERABLY.

AND yes that's the Cincinatti reds on that list.

So Marlins fans, if we lose, it's cool. We'll just get that much more of a headstart on all these teams in the draft.

[sobs]

East W L PCT

New York 94 62 0.603

Toronto 83 73 0.532

Boston 83 74 0.529

Baltimore 68 88 0.436

Tampa Bay60 96 0.385

Central W L PCT

Detroit 94 62 0.603

Minnesota 93 63 0.596

Chicago 87 70 0.554

Clevela 73 83 0.468

Kansas City58 98 0.372

West W L PCT

Oakland 90 66 0.577

Los Angeles85 71 0.545

Texas 78 79 0.497

Seattle 76 81 0.484

National League

East W L PCT

New York 93 63 0.596

Philadelphia82 74 0.526

Florida 76 80 0.487

Atlanta 75 81 0.481

Washington69 87 0.442

Central W L PCT

St. Louis 80 75 0.516

Houston 78 78 0.5

Cincinnati77 79 0.494

Milwaukee 73 83 0.468

Pittsburgh 65 91 0.417

Chicago 63 94 0.401

West W L PCT

San Diego 84 72 0.538

Los Angeles82 74 0.526

San Francisco75 81 0.481

Arizona 74 82 0.474

Colorado 74 82 0.474

Ever hear of Brian Taylor or Josh Booty?

I am just saying that to glorify picking a few spots higher is ridiculous. As someone mentioned, this is baseball...not football or basketball.

ARRRRRRRRRGH

THAT"S INSANE

This IS significant, and i'm sorry if you think i'm crazy for UNDERSTANDING that.

bad silver lining dude.

ARRRRRRRRRGH

THAT"S INSANE

bad silver lining dude.

Umm why ? What is wrong with having a higher draft pick when this franchise has to have a strong minor league system ? We do not have an elite position prospect but are stacked with pitchers in the minors thanks to the draft. A higher draft pick = A higher chance of getting the player that the scouting dept. wants. How is that not a good thing when we have such a great scouting dept. ?

Sometimes it is like you have to be involved in every single thread one way or the other just for the hell of it, and your arguments are never very strong.

UGH, whoever says this isn't good is FULL OF S*IT. This might not be the NFL OR NBA "BUDDIES" AND PALS, but we can certainly take a HUGE look at all the players we want, and actually have a chance at signing them. Imagine, if we do a great job drafting in the later rounds, we are going to certainly make some noice from the top! TRUST ME. Live, and see....shut up.

WOOHOO!!!!

Finally some people who have seen the light.

Another aspect to having a top 10 pick that i believe "thenewzo" aluded to is, you actually KNOW that if you scout the top 10 players available,,,,you're going to get one of them.

If you're picking number 22 you have SOME idea who's going to be available and you have to spread your INTENSIVE scouting amongst a much broader group, and you in turn don't get the detailed info you can when there's a group of 10 guys.

Obviously you scout HUNDREDS of players in person, and THOUSANDS at least with cursory statistical analysis and cross-checking scouts.

However when it comes to the GM actually going out and seeing a kid in person, he can't do that for 22 possible options nearly as thoroughly as he can for 7-10 options.

Well, we finished at .481 which tied us for Cleveland and Seattle for the 11th pick.

Cleveland had a .576 record last year, Florida .512, and Seattle .426 so Seattle get's the 11th pick, we get the 12th, and Cleveland the 13th.

We easily could have had San Fran, Arizona, Colorado, and Cleveland get ahead of us, but they all slipped behind at the last moment.

What a perverse thing to root for, but i'm looking big picture.

Michael Main with the 12th pick please :)

Well, we finished at .481 which tied us for Cleveland and Seattle for the 11th pick.

Cleveland had a .576 record last year, Florida .512, and Seattle .426 so Seattle get's the 11th pick, we get the 12th, and Cleveland the 13th.

We easily could have had San Fran, Arizona, Colorado, and Cleveland get ahead of us, but they all slipped behind at the last moment.

What a perverse thing to root for, but i'm looking big picture.

Michael Main with the 12th pick please :)

I'd rather have Justin Jackson or Michael Burgess (aka the next Gary Sheffield) both might fall to that area. We really need some position prospects though, besides the pitchers, our minor league system is pretty bare.

ARRRRRRRRRGH

THAT"S INSANE

bad silver lining dude.

Umm why ? What is wrong with having a higher draft pick when this franchise has to have a strong minor league system ? We do not have an elite position prospect but are stacked with pitchers in the minors thanks to the draft. A higher draft pick = A higher chance of getting the player that the scouting dept. wants. How is that not a good thing when we have such a great scouting dept. ?

Sometimes it is like you have to be involved in every single thread one way or the other just for the hell of it, and your arguments are never very strong.

wtf are you talking about? THIS IS BASEBALL DRAFT, there are dozens and dozens of rounds. I don't know off the top of my head, but I'd guarantee right now that 3/4 of our team was NOT one of these 'elite' picks you talk about.

Stop trying to sound like a smartass bro, it gets really annoying fast.

Oh and here's another take--the higher the pick, the more money they get.

OF COURSE having a higher pick is BETTER than a lower pick. What moron would deny that?

But you are responding off topic, because the point of this thread was to glorify this 'monumental' jump in the draft as some great aside to a crappy end of the season. It's just not. It's nice, but I don't think it's incredibly noteworthy.

ARRRRRRRRRGH

THAT"S INSANE

bad silver lining dude.

wtf are you talking about? THIS IS BASEBALL DRAFT, there are dozens and dozens of rounds. I don't know off the top of my head, but I'd guarantee right now that 3/4 of our team was NOT one of these 'elite' picks you talk about.

Stop trying to sound like a smartass bro, it gets really annoying fast.

Oh and here's another take--the higher the pick, the more money they get.

OF COURSE having a higher pick is BETTER than a lower pick. What moron would deny that?

But you are responding off topic, because the point of this thread was to glorify this 'monumental' jump in the draft as some great aside to a crappy end of the season. It's just not. It's nice, but I don't think it's incredibly noteworthy.

Who would you rather have right now ? Cameron Maybin, Andrew McCutchen, Jay Bruce, or Chris Volstad ? Those were the # 10, 11,12 and 16th picks of the 2005 drafts. So a few picks does make a difference. No doubt Volstad is a nice player, but give me one of those 3 players straight up for our top pitching prospect, and I gladly jump all over it.

The idea of the thread was simply to point out that we might have the chance to pick higher and get the player we have targeted. Imagine being one or two picks away from a Cameron Maybin type centerfielder. It would sting and hurt the franchise. Also, if you finish at or below the # 15 pick you are subject to giving that pick away if we signed a FA who was a type A. Another plus.

So yes, considering the disappointing finish of the season, I'd love to hear you come up with one, just one, better silver lining to back up your statement of "bad silver lining dude". If you come up with one better one, i'd eat crow and take away your tag of "posting just for the hell of it in every single thread just to be heard and up the post count".