Marlins Players Embrace New Skipper

JonDigital

MIAMI -- The business side of baseball invariably brings about change. While the youthful Marlins embraced Joe Girardi in 2006, several players spoke on Tuesday about warmly welcoming their new manager for next season.

Fredi Gonzalez was introduced as the ninth manager in club history on Tuesday, replacing Girardi, who helped mold the rookie-laden squad to a 78-84 record.

"If a change had to be made, that's what you want," pitcher Scott Olsen said, "someone who has been around winning.

"From what I hear, he's a good guy. He's young, just like Joe. And he worked under Bobby Cox, just like Joe was under Joe Torre."

Gonzalez spent the past four seasons as Braves third-base coach.

Working closely with Cox in Atlanta exposed Gonzalez to a winning tradition.

"He comes well recommended," Olsen said. "He should be good for us."

Gonzalez is eager to get started with his new club. Restless the night before his introductory news conference, he said he woke up at 3 a.m. ET thinking of how to put together his lineup.

"I know the season just ended, but I can't wait to talk to these guys, and I cannot wait for Spring Training to start," Gonzalez said.

Joining Gonzalez at the press conference was his wife, Pamela. Their daughter, Gigi, is 15 and son, Alex, is 13. The children were back in Georgia going to school.

A year ago, Gonzalez was considered for the Marlins' job. He had an impressive interview, but owner Jeffrey Loria decided on Girardi.

Girardi is expected to be considered for some other managerial jobs.

"I hope Joe gets what he wants out of this," Olsen said. "I'm pulling for him. He was great for us."

Gonzalez will wear No. 33. This past season in Atlanta, he wore No. 45, giving his No. 33 to outfielder Brian Jordan.

As a sign of gratitude, Jordan presented Gonzalez with a new motorcycle.

The fact Gonzalez rides a motorcycle doesn't bother his wife, because she knows he wears a helmet.

She felt Gonzalez not getting the job last season wasn't all bad either.

"It gave him one more year with Bobby Cox," she said. "You can't say it was a bad thing."

One of Cox's new players stopped in to say a quick hello as the news conference was winding down. Shortstop Hanley Ramirez, a strong Rookie of the Year candidate, said he wasn't even aware Gonzalez spoke Spanish until the first time the Marlins faced the Braves.

"I spoke to him between innings," Ramirez said. "The first time we played him, I didn't even know he spoke Spanish."

Ramirez remembers having a tough game where he struck out a few times before getting a hit. In Spanish, Gonzalez joked about Ramirez making contact. The two laughed.

"Everybody loved Joe. We'll see what is going to happen with Fredi," Ramirez said. "I think he's going to do a great job. We're going to play hard for him. From what I can tell, I think he's got a good heart."

Rookie pitcher Josh Johnson is impressed with Gonzalez's background.

"He knows what a winning system is like," Johnson said. "He's been with the Braves, been with Bobby Cox. He's a winner; that's what you want."

http://florida.marlins.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/...sp&c_id=fla

Sorry if already posted in another thread. Couldnt find it.

After one season, is this already Olsen's team?

He's become the go to guy. Remember, the leader is not necessarily the best player.

the players already embraced fredi.... all the fans should too.... unlike alot of people on here thinkin joe was a god in managing a team...the team did well cause the team has talent... you cant get a bunch of random smcho's off the street and have lets say joe torre or bobbycox manage them for a season and expect them to do as well as the marlins did... joe made alot of bad calls during games.... i cant speak for anything behind the scenes or off the field... but on the field... he was alright, not great... im happy on the change of the team... just wish they woulda done this mid season....

After one season, is this already Olsen's team?

He's become the go to guy. Remember, the leader is not necessarily the best player.

I don't think he's quite there yet but the signs of the potential to become that guy are certainly there. He definitely seems to be maturing. I really like his confidence.

Marlins players = Joe who?

That's not what I'm seeing at all. It seems to me they're welcoming their new manager as they should be. There's absolutely no reason for them to not like Fredi. I don't see any "Joe who?" sentiment there.

You may be right but I guess I have total buy-in regarding Ramp's comments that as much as the public face of the players was supportive, in the clubhouse he was nowhere near as beloved as the media wouldhave you believe.

What's a 22 year old going to say in his rookie year "my manager sucks" or "WTF, I have 25 homeruns, why am I bunting in the first inning?". Of course they'll stand by their man until he's not their man anymore.

Not that any of the above means Girardi was hated but these rookies understood what side their bread was buttered on.

We'll see.

That's not what I'm seeing at all. It seems to me they're welcoming their new manager as they should be. There's absolutely no reason for them to not like Fredi. I don't see any "Joe who?" sentiment there.

You may be right but I guess I have total buy-in regarding Ramp's comments that as much as the public face of the players was supportive, in the clubhouse he was nowhere near as beloved as the media wouldhave you believe.

What's a 22 year old going to say in his rookie year "my manager sucks" or "WTF, I have 25 homeruns, why am I bunting in the first inning?". Of course they'll stand by their man until he's not their man anymore.

Not that any of the above means Girardi was hated but these rookies understood what side their bread was buttered on.

We'll see.

I don't know if you were there for the last game or not, but the embrace that Uggla and Dontrelle and Olsen all gave Girardi suggested to me that they sure loved him.

And I agree with Strike, you don't say:

"Everybody loved Joe. We'll see what is going to happen with Fredi," Ramirez said."

If you're mindset is "Joe who?"

Are they ready for Fredi? Sure, but that doesn't mean they're helping Joe pack.

We'll see.

I have no inside knowledge of what anyone is thinking but I do think that Olsen has repeatedly stated his feelings in a very clear and straightforward manner. He didn't have to do that. He could have just stuck with standard short answers.

2003........thats ridiculous.

They just spent a whole season with Girardi and were 2 games out with 2 weeks to go.

Fredi hasnt climbed any mountains with this team.

I just love it how EVERYONE loves the the new manager.

Wait till we have a couple of tough losses.

:lol

just as long as Fredi puts us in the best chance to win :thumbup

:lol :lol

You guys have your A-game comedy act goin tonight........Im having a vision of a game thread in May of 2007............The Marlins are on the verge of their 6th consecutive loss...........and in jeopardy of falling 12 games below .500...............and all the Girardi haters chanting the mantra...."Fredi puts us in the best postion to win but were catching all the bad breaks".

2007 baseball cant come quik enough.

You know, I admit it, about firings I'm cynical.

After you've in front of a couple hundred employees extolling the virtues of a guy you fired an hour before or written more letters of recommendation for people than you can count who in truth couldn't cut it in your company, and then I see Dan Uggla hug Joe Girardi and of course in the moment because all these players had to know what was coming, they are being gracious. Much like in a relationship long gone bad, you remember and cherish the good times and forget the rest.

I'm sure Joe was respected and perhaps admired by a coterie in the clubhouse, but the "king is dead. Long live the king".

But as I said above, it's just my opinion.

You guys have your A-game comedy act goin tonight........Im having a vision of a game thread in May of 2007............The Marlins are on the verge of their 6th consecutive loss...........and in jeopardy of falling 12 games below .500...............and all the Girardi haters chanting the mantra...."Fredi puts us in the best postion to win but were catching all the bad breaks".

why on Earth are you having a vision us of losing 1 games, let alone 6 in a row

you make me sick! :mischief

can we be sure fredi is qualified enough? he doesnt have an ENGINEERING DEGREE from NORTHWESTERN afterall.

why on Earth are you having a vision us of losing 1 games, let alone 6 in a row

you make me sick! :mischief

your recent posts lead me to believe you don't know anything about baseball at all.

how much affect do you think a manager has in the won/loss column?

is joe girardi in fact your BFF?

would you really gain pleasure in a marlin losing season in 2007? and then blame it on fredi gonzalez?

ive very quickly lost all respect for girardi-bots.