Marlins 2006 team stats

I was bored so I checked out our final hitting stats for 2006 and we ranked above the middle of the pack in almost all categories, pretty impressive considering the outlook before the season. We were something like 6th in HR, triples, etc. We led in K's which attributed to lower average. We are going to be very scary if we can get the K's down and avoid major injuries in 2007.

I was bored so I checked out our final hitting stats for 2006 and we ranked above the middle of the pack in almost all categories, pretty impressive considering the outlook before the season. We were something like 6th in HR, triples, etc. We led in K's which attributed to lower average. We are going to be very scary if we can get the K's down and avoid major injuries in 2007.

Can ya break that down some more? Ks in the first half compared to Ks in the second half. I would be willing to bet they dropped.

As long as you have Cabrera, Uggla, Hanley and Willingham as starters you're going to have a lot of Ks. I have no problem with any of these guys in the lineup even if they K a lot. Olivo and Jacobs will also K a lot and I have no problem with them in the lineup either. If the Marlins don't want to be towards the "top" of the league in Ks then they need to turn the roster upside down because we have a lot of good hitters who happen to K a lot. I would take good hitters who K a lot over mediocre hitter who don't K a lot.

As long as you have Cabrera, Uggla, Hanley and Willingham as starters you're going to have a lot of Ks. I have no problem with any of these guys in the lineup even if they K a lot. Olivo and Jacobs will also K a lot and I have no problem with them in the lineup either. If the Marlins don't want to be towards the "top" of the league in Ks then they need to turn the roster upside down because we have a lot of good hitters who happen to K a lot. I would take good hitters who K a lot over mediocre hitter who don't K a lot.

Did you just talk about our starters that K and not mention Mike Jacobs?

Who cares how much Miguel K's when he gets on base better than anyone except for one player in the National League. Uggla need to be more patient, sure, but when you blow expectations out of the water as he did, it doesn't quite matter. With time, Hanley will not K more than 60 times a year. And Willingham should have improved walk totals next season. Maybe the same K rate, but his OBP should go up.

Who cares how much Miguel K's when he gets on base better than anyone except for one player in the National League. Uggla need to be more patient, sure, but when you blow expectations out of the water as he did, it doesn't quite matter. With time, Hanley will not K more than 60 times a year. And Willingham should have improved walk totals next season. Maybe the same K rate, but his OBP should go up.

I talked about Jacobs and Olivo in the 3rd sentence. I made a distinction between Jacobs / Olivo and Cabrera/ Uggla / Hanley / Willingham because although all six of them K a lot I feel confident that Cabrera / Uggla / Hanley / Willingham will be good hitters going forward. I don't have the same level of confidence about Jacobs and Olivo.

I am sooooo looking forward to next season. I hope no sophomore jinx :banghead sets in. Go Fredi ! And kick azz boys ! :thumbup

I talked about Jacobs and Olivo in the 3rd sentence. I made a distinction between Jacobs / Olivo and Cabrera/ Uggla / Hanley / Willingham because although all six of them K a lot I feel confident that Cabrera / Uggla / Hanley / Willingham will be good hitters going forward. I don't have the same level of confidence about Jacobs and Olivo.

I think Jacobs will turn out to be a fine hitter, actually, but he will always be very strikeout prone.

Some of us knew the offense would be better than in 2005 before the season started.

Considering that it was Uggla that probably accounted for us being 2-4 teams higher in many categories that's an impressive thing that you knew beforehand. What was your prediction before the season started for HR's, RBI's, and Runs from Uggla?

Some of us knew the offense would be better than in 2005 before the season started.

Considering that it was Uggla that probably accounted for us being 2-4 teams higher in many categories that's an impressive thing that you knew beforehand. What was your prediction before the season started for HR's, RBI's, and Runs from Uggla?

There were a few of us who thought our offense would be better as a whole.

That's true. I was one of them. I THOUGHT they had the potential to be better, and it turned out that overall they were. But to say that some of us "KNEW" as El Penguino says is ridiculous. Nobody could have known. All that anyone could reasonably say is basically what you say...that you "thought" the team had the potential to be better.

That's true. I was one of them. I THOUGHT they had the potential to be better, and it turned out that overall they were. But to say that some of us "KNEW" as El Penguino says is ridiculous. Nobody could have known. All that anyone could reasonably say is basically what you say...that you "thought" the team had the potential to be better.

Again your making way to much sense pierremvp.

Dont you know that they sell crystal balls at Target that project the Rule V draft pick up to be a beast?

Again your making way to much sense pierremvp.

Dont you know that they sell crystal balls at Target that project the Rule V draft pick up to be a beast?

well considering most thought Hermida would have a good season, that makes up for Uggla

With time, Hanley will not K more than 60 times a year.

Why do you think he'll dramatically cut down on his Ks? I think as he continues to develop he'll be more of a hard swinging power hitter and that means he's likely to continue to K a lot. Note that I have no problem with his Ks, I'm just wondering why you think he'll cut down on them.

Hanley also blew past everyone's expectations. I have a hard time believing anyone knew or expected this team would be a better hitting team than the '05 team. For the record both teams finished 8th in runs scored and OPS.

hermida needs a have a big year next year, or he's gonna have some doubting him.--(already happening)

well thats just stupid

Coming into the '06 season the RF job was Jeremy's. Recently I read a Beinfest quote saying Jeremy would have competition for the RF job going into '07. Who knows what the "competiton" will be but I don't think he had "competition" in ST '06.

hermida needs a have a big year next year, or he's gonna have some doubting him.--(already happening)

well thats just stupid

Why? Everyone here was predicting him to hit 20-30 HRs and be this wonderful "patient hitter" with a "great eye". Instead he hit 5 HRs, was a little too patient, and used his good eye to watch enough strikes go by that he Ked more often than anyone on the team (20% of his plate appearances). Both Borchard and Ross doubled his HR total with significantly fewer ABs, and they should at least be his competition in ST next year that was missing this year.

well thats just stupid

Why? Everyone here was predicting him to hit 20-30 HRs and be this wonderful "patient hitter" with a "great eye". Instead he hit 5 HRs, was a little too patient, and used his good eye to watch enough strikes go by that he Ked more often than anyone on the team (20% of his plate appearances). Both Borchard and Ross doubled his HR total with significantly fewer ABs, and they should at least be his competition in ST next year that was missing this year.

He was injured most of the year and his minor league track record suggests he is going to be a pretty good ballplayer. Anyone doubting him right now is silly.

I don't know how that is possible when all we knew was it was going to be a lineup full of unproven rookies. I was hopeful it would be better, but I wasn't sure. Just like last year we knew we would make it to the playoffs, that was a given.