Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Bonds to Fish?

Featured Replies

A few years back I'd agree that Bonds hits third but seeing him hobbling around the bases or in the outfield last season all those OBP stats become meaningless if he can't get home on anything not hit out of the park.

 

Put him behind Cabrera and let the big dog eat.

 

Dusty Baker, much?

I think I'll pass on Barry. The last thing we need is a guy with shot knees attempting to run after fly balls. Not to mention the horrible ego to go with it.

You don't hear his teammates complaining too often.

 

*oh, & Ramp :thumbup *

 

*Adds another deposit to the National Bank of Ramp Credibility*

 

who loves ya baby?

Legit question: Do you think this would affect Cabrera and Willis in any way, mentally, if this were to happen? The two of them see the FO spend the big bucks on Bonds but not even offer them a long-term contract? Sure, Bonds is only a one or two year investment at best, and it would obviously take a big long-term commitment to lock up Cabs and the D-Train, but they'd have to feel jilted a little bit by that when they've been told money is tight which is why they can't get guaranteed contracts, yet they sign Bonds? Then again, they could both love playing with someone like Bonds, who knows.

I don't think so unless it went really bad. I think those 2 feel connected enough to the team that they'd see it as a move to build a championship contender team, at least at first. If things went well, it would re-affirm that thought and we'd probably help Bonds break the record and finally get a ring, so everyone would be happy.

If Bonds spends a ton of time on the DL and doesn't pull his weight, then I could imagine some bad feelings developing.

Legit question: Do you think this would affect Cabrera and Willis in any way, mentally, if this were to happen? The two of them see the FO spend the big bucks on Bonds but not even offer them a long-term contract? Sure, Bonds is only a one or two year investment at best, and it would obviously take a big long-term commitment to lock up Cabs and the D-Train, but they'd have to feel jilted a little bit by that when they've been told money is tight which is why they can't get guaranteed contracts, yet they sign Bonds? Then again, they could both love playing with someone like Bonds, who knows.

 

No, unless the Marlins say to their face "we can't afford you."

 

The Marlins believe that their year to year strategy is using the system to their advantage, I happen to disagree, but regardless of that, Miggy and Dontrelle are still getting paid and will get paid, even if there isn't a contract in place, the system is actually there to their benefit as they continue to excell at their age.

If you don't want a guy that hit .270/.454/.545 on your team, you're a fool. The guy gets on base like it's going out of style, he has huge power, and he's gonna draw a ton of fans on his chase for 755. His bad knees weren't that bad either, he did score 74 runs on 367 official ABs. By comparison, Miguel Cabrera had 112 runs on 576 official ABs. That means, Barry scored once every 4.96 official ABs and Miguel Cabrera scored once every 5.14 official ABs.

well my friend and i were debating...if he does not go back to SF, he will not retire, and ask a team to pay a lower salery so that @sses will get in seats...like a Kansas City or a Florida.

 

that being said...I AM VERY AGAINST THIS and my disapproval will be very vocal if this move is made.

Another legit question: If signed (still a big if in my mind), who do we call up / use to pinch run for Bonds when he gets on base?

 

well my friend and i were debating...if he does not go back to SF, he will not retire, and ask a team to pay a lower salery so that @sses will get in seats...like a Kansas City or a Florida.

Attendance is the least of KC's worries. Trust me.

Another legit question: If signed (still a big if in my mind), who do we call up / use to pinch run for Bonds when he gets on base?

 

Legit alright :lol

Another legit question: If signed (still a big if in my mind), who do we call up / use to pinch run for Bonds when he gets on base?

 

well my friend and i were debating...if he does not go back to SF, he will not retire, and ask a team to pay a lower salery so that @sses will get in seats...like a Kansas City or a Florida.

Attendance is the least of KC's worries. Trust me.

Reed, Abercrombie, whoever.... that would be a problem I would love to have

Another legit question: If signed (still a big if in my mind), who do we call up / use to pinch run for Bonds when he gets on base?

 

well my friend and i were debating...if he does not go back to SF, he will not retire, and ask a team to pay a lower salery so that @sses will get in seats...like a Kansas City or a Florida.

Attendance is the least of KC's worries. Trust me.

Reed, Abercrombie, whoever.... that would be a problem I would love to have

I was thinking of Reed's name also. And yes, I would love to have that problem, too.

Another legit question: If signed (still a big if in my mind), who do we call up / use to pinch run for Bonds when he gets on base?

 

Legit alright :lol

 

eric reed :rolleyes:

Eric Reed would be a perfect bench utility in that scenario. Let's face it, how many times does a 5th OF get used to actually bat anyway? We could use him almost every night for pinch running abilities and playing defense, both of which are arguably his strengths. Unless Abercrombie seriously improves his defense, then Reed > Abercrombie in that role.

I really dont want Barry to break Aaron's record but ... if he is gonna do it, might as well have the Florida Marlins as the answer to the trivia question: What team did he play for when he broke the record... There would be asses in the seats certainly.

 

Im expecting Howie Mandell to show up and say:

 

"Barry Bonds: Deal or No Deal!"

first it was Alex Rodriguez, now its Barry Bonds, next it will be Michael Jordan

 

 

whooo i'd even buy merchandise

 

the difference is that to get bonds all you need to do is write a check rather than a very creative trade.

A few years back I'd agree that Bonds hits third but seeing him hobbling around the bases or in the outfield last season all those OBP stats become meaningless if he can't get home on anything not hit out of the park.

 

Put him behind Cabrera and let the big dog eat.

 

See, I disagree. I think you bat Bonds third for the simple reason that at this point, Miguel will provide better protection for Bonds than Bonds will for Miguel. Pitchers will be more likely to pitch to Barry with Miguel hitting cleanup. I think even with Bonds behind Miguel, they'd still pitch around Cabrera a little... If you bat Barry third, you still get the killer on-base, but I think his power production is a lot higher than it would be.

It would be surprising but it could happen, and I can't say that I wouldn't be the least bit excited, considering I drove 400 miles to see him play specifically last year.

I wouldn't be suprised at all. I think a one-year fix like Bonds is exactly what we might need. It would enable us to be more patient with Hermida and Jacobs (if still here), and you know a presence such as Bonds would be incredible for those two lefties. They would pick his brain so much he'll take four advil before every game...

 

And another thing, we don't need to get a centerfielder if Bonds comes in IMO. I think Hermida can handle it out there, and Willingham could shift to right, keeping Jacobs at first. I see MJ improving a lot this upcoming season, especially playing with possibly the greatest hitter in the history on the universe.

And another thing, we don't need to get a centerfielder if Bonds comes in IMO. I think Hermida can handle it out there, and Willingham could shift to right, keeping Jacobs at first. I see MJ improving a lot this upcoming season, especially playing with possibly the greatest hitter in the history on the universe.

Hermida can't handle it and I doubt he wants to play any more CF. That's way too much running on that hip of his anyway. Willingham would be going to 1B and would play LF when Bonds needs the day off (most likely). I really really doubt that Mike Jacobs is back next year.

And another thing, we don't need to get a centerfielder if Bonds comes in IMO. I think Hermida can handle it out there, and Willingham could shift to right, keeping Jacobs at first. I see MJ improving a lot this upcoming season, especially playing with possibly the greatest hitter in the history on the universe.

Hermida can't handle it and I doubt he wants to play any more CF. That's way too much running on that hip of his anyway. Willingham would be going to 1B and would play LF when Bonds needs the day off (most likely). I really really doubt that Mike Jacobs is back next year.

 

I'm sure you're right, but I think Hermida can handle it out there. My question would be Willingham in right. I'm also sure his hip will be just fine in a good, what, 5 months? I mean, if you wanted to stay within the organization and just get Bonds, that's what I would assume would happen. Jacobs has so much upside, the only thing he needs is patience, and that's one (among many other things, I'm sure) thing Barry Bonds can help him attain. Now, if we do trade for a centerfielder, I would assume it would be a minimum salary player, more like a prospect like Young instead of Baldelli or Crawford that everyone here seems to want so badly.

And another thing, we don't need to get a centerfielder if Bonds comes in IMO. I think Hermida can handle it out there, and Willingham could shift to right, keeping Jacobs at first. I see MJ improving a lot this upcoming season, especially playing with possibly the greatest hitter in the history on the universe.

Hermida can't handle it and I doubt he wants to play any more CF. That's way too much running on that hip of his anyway. Willingham would be going to 1B and would play LF when Bonds needs the day off (most likely). I really really doubt that Mike Jacobs is back next year.

 

I'm sure you're right, but I think Hermida can handle it out there. My question would be Willingham in right. I'm also sure his hip will be just fine in a good, what, 5 months? I mean, if you wanted to stay within the organization and just get Bonds, that's what I would assume would happen. Jacobs has so much upside, the only thing he needs is patience, and that's one (among many other things, I'm sure) thing Barry Bonds can help him attain. Now, if we do trade for a centerfielder, I would assume it would be a minimum salary player, more like a prospect like Young instead of Baldelli or Crawford that everyone here seems to want so badly.

For someone who has battled various lower body injuries throughout his career, the last thing we want is Hermida manning CF at Dolphin Stadium. And while Barry Bonds is a fantastic guy to model yourself after in terms of plate discipline, Mike Jacobs is 25-26 years old... it's a little late in his career to all of the sudden become patient at the plate. But from what I know, we won't have to worry about Jake's pitch selection in 2007.

And another thing, we don't need to get a centerfielder if Bonds comes in IMO. I think Hermida can handle it out there, and Willingham could shift to right, keeping Jacobs at first. I see MJ improving a lot this upcoming season, especially playing with possibly the greatest hitter in the history on the universe.

Hermida can't handle it and I doubt he wants to play any more CF. That's way too much running on that hip of his anyway. Willingham would be going to 1B and would play LF when Bonds needs the day off (most likely). I really really doubt that Mike Jacobs is back next year.

 

I'm sure you're right, but I think Hermida can handle it out there. My question would be Willingham in right. I'm also sure his hip will be just fine in a good, what, 5 months? I mean, if you wanted to stay within the organization and just get Bonds, that's what I would assume would happen. Jacobs has so much upside, the only thing he needs is patience, and that's one (among many other things, I'm sure) thing Barry Bonds can help him attain. Now, if we do trade for a centerfielder, I would assume it would be a minimum salary player, more like a prospect like Young instead of Baldelli or Crawford that everyone here seems to want so badly.

But from what I know, we won't have to worry about Jake's pitch selection in 2007.

 

Anymore details on this??

 

:santa

I'd love to add him...but what other teams do you see fit that description as the unknown team?

 

My #1 guess would be the Pirates...if they moved Bay to RF. I could really see Bonds going back to where it all began.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.