Red Sox Sign JD Drew; 5-years / 70 million

Passion

Theo Epstein will be holding a pre-winter meetings conference call in a minute or two but there are a couple of items worth mentioning.

One is that the J.D. Drew deal is not going to become finalized before the start of the winter meetings and when it does, it will be a four-year guaranteed deal worth $14 million. A fifth year is likely to be included but as an option year.

http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/redSox/?p=758

That reads like 4/14 with a possible 5th, and that sounds like a STEAL for the Red Sox.

However, if it's 4/56 with a possible 5th, that contract sucks.

In what way?

The Red Sox got tremendous value (Best RFer in the NL last year) especially in this inflated market. He's getting the money that would have gone to Damon except he's a better all-around player in every way and Damon signed his deal last year, in a less expensive market.

If he stays healthy, this is a great contract. A big if for sure but he's worth it healthy.

That reads like 4/14 with a possible 5th, and that sounds like a STEAL for the Red Sox.

In what way?

The Red Sox got tremendous value (Best RFer in the NL last year) especially in this inflated market. He's getting the money that would have gone to Damon except he's a better all-around player in every way and Damon signed his deal last year, in a less expensive market.

If he stays healthy, this is a great contract. A big if for sure but he's worth it healthy.

In what way:

How about the guy has never been an all-star, never played in 150 games in a single season, or 250 in consecutive seasons, and has bettered 30 homers only once.

For that kind of money, you want a sure thing, not a "could be."

That's the thing. Too big of an if in my book.

Though I wouldn't care to have Drew in a Marlins uniform at a cost anywhere approaching this contract, this is a better signing than a number of those made this offseason. Matthews and Eaton come to mind immediately.

I question Drew's motivation now that he has a big contract. He's reknowned as someone who doesn't try properly if he's not motivated... I wish I had the link to the article I read about him last month. Sure, he had a good year this year, but he probably knew he was always going to leave LA to get a better payday. I could be wrong, but this could be a bust of epic proportions.

Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

It would be a HUGE mistake for the Sox to sign Drew and then dump Manny. Manny is close to two times better than Drew.

This is a guy with a career .905 OPS who creates 7.25 runs per nine innings and plays some pretty good defense.

Manny is not 2 times better than him. If he had an 1.810 OPS and created 14.5 runs per nine, he'd be Babe Ruth in his best year, and thats for his career. He's not 2 times better than him. He's better, but it's not a huge amount, and I'll take Drew + the prospect they'll likely get for Manny over just Manny, if Push comes to shove.

Terrible signing.

Anything to add/back up that post or was it just a +1 to the 'ole post count?

In what way?

In what way:

How about the guy has never been an all-star, never played in 150 games in a single season, or 250 in consecutive seasons, and has bettered 30 homers only once.

For that kind of money, you want a sure thing, not a "could be."

I like the made up benchmarks that you just stated. What are those, the Swiftmetrics?

I'd say being the best player at your position last year in a league isn't a "could be".