Pujols ticked MVP went to Howard

poptart

While I think Pujols should've won it there is precedent for players on non playoff bound teams winning MVP. Heck A-Rod and Dawson won it on last place teams. Personally I think it should go to players on teams that either made the playoffs or stayed in the race til the end which the Phillies did... but again I think Pujols earned it more than Howard did.

I'm with the last 2 posts... I look at an MVP as a player whose team would not be the same without him. Obviously, Pujols is the center of that Cardinals lineup, but I think of the Phils without Ryan Howard and they are nowhere near the same. He carried the Phils for a while there.. that's what an MVP does..

As to what Ramp said, I think this kinda sucks for Pujols. He's been built up as the poster boy for baseball. He was the complete opposite of Barry Bonds. He has earned the crown as the best hitter in baseball, but he had the nice guy attitude to go with it.. Now, he's crying to the media cause he didn't win the MVP.. Please... Worry about defending your World Title and stop worrying about individual achievements... Sure, it would have been nice and I'm sure he wouldn't have received more money somehow, but Howard deserved it...

He's got a point, it's the MVP award, not the best player award.

Still, value's all subjective, and even more, it's just annoying to hear a player come out and say the other guy shouldn't have won it. We get it, now move on...

The most valuable player is the best player. There's no other special value a player can give that doesn't show up in the numbers that is significant enough to make a difference. So then "most valuable" is who has the best players around him.

i think the biggest problem is that the criteria keeps changing.

one year its the best player, the next year its all about the best player on a playoff team.

just have a set criteria.

besides hte writers abuse their vote in everything they vote on anyway.

I have no problem with teh NL MVP.

I am still puzzled though by the Morneau choice.

The guy is just becoming a bitter douche over things that don't go his way now. Let your play on the field talk. Players who win a World Series and then complain about an individual award show their true colors in my book.

The Glavine comments are still worse to me though.

David Ortiz did the same thing this year, and he won a World Series not too long ago. Not the same thing, but kind of.

The guy is just becoming a bitter douche over things that don't go his way now. Let your play on the field talk. Players who win a World Series and then complain about an individual award show their true colors in my book.

David Ortiz did the same thing this year, and he won a World Series not too long ago. Not the same thing, but kind of.

Not even close to the same thing. What Ortiz said isn't on the same level as what Pujols said. But I've been down this path already.

Not even close to the same thing. What Ortiz said isn't on the same level as what Pujols said. But I've been down this path already.

Didn't he say that Jeter wouldn't deserve the MVP because he doesn't hit home runs, or something?

i think pujols is also specifically speaking to 2003 specifically when Barry Bonds won the MVP over him, when the voters used the 'playoff' team argument over the stats argument as the top reason that Bonds got the award over Pujols.

I think what he is trying to say is that the writers need to be consistent in their voting, if they are voting based on stats fine, do it all the time.

if its on playoff teams and the best player on those then fine, do it every year.

thats his point, he just comes off wrong in his comments.

i agree with him on his point, but the method he went about it is wrong.

Pujols is trying to justify giving himself the award -- meanwhile Howard put up better numbers on a team with more wins. The MVP is a regular season award, the playoffs shouldn't and don't have any bearing on the award -- that's why they made LCS and WS MVPs. ALbert needs to just shut it because every time he opens his mouth he looks like a bigger tool.

Pujols is trying to justify giving himself the award -- meanwhile Howard put up better numbers on a team with more wins. The MVP is a regular season award, the playoffs shouldn't and don't have any bearing on the award -- that's why they made LCS and WS MVPs. ALbert needs to just shut it because every time he opens his mouth he looks like a bigger tool.

Pujols had better numbers. He had a higher slugging percentage and a higher on base percentage. He was also much better with runners in scoring position.

one year its the best player, the next year its all about the best player on a playoff team.

It's the opinion of many writers combined. You can't expect them to all vote the same way. A set criteria needs to be given to them in your scenario.

Pujols had better numbers. He had a higher slugging percentage and a higher on base percentage. He was also much better with runners in scoring position.

It's the opinion of many writers combined. You can't expect them to all vote the same way. A set criteria needs to be given to them in your scenario.

the problem is that their opinion is always wavering as far as the criteria. They should lose their vote anyway, especially with the stupid things some have done in recent years, such as not naming Pedro on the ballot in 99, putting Jeter 6th this year. Its stupid sh*t like this that further proves how idiotic they are. I still hope Bud reforms these voting processes.

ESPN.com

Albert Pujols apparently feels like his words have been lost in translation.

In an interview with USA Today, Pujols said his recent comments about Ryan Howard's unworthiness as National League MVP were misinterpreted and he wants to apologize to the Phillies' slugging first baseman.

"I feel so bad because I love Ryan Howard," Pujols told USA Today. "I never said he didn't deserve the MVP. He is deserving of that award. He earned it. That's why he got it. I'm not trying to defend myself; I just want to tell him that I'm sorry for all of this because he earned the MVP. The last thing I want to do is spoil this for him."

Speaking in Spanish at a news conference in the Dominican Republic last week, Pujols was quoted as saying: "I see it this way: Someone who doesn't take his team to the playoffs doesn't deserve to win the MVP."

Pujols told USA Today he was hurt at how his comments were portrayed in the media.

"The way that came out hurt me big time," Pujols told the newspaper. "I'm very angry about that."

Pujols, who finished second to Howard in the MVP voting, led the Cardinals to the NL Central title this year and their first World Series championship since 1982. Howard and the Phillies missed the playoffs -- though they won two more regular-season games than St. Louis.

The Dominican-born Pujols batted .331 with 49 home runs and 137 RBI, while Howard hit .313 with 58 homers and 149 RBI.

Howard got 20 first-place votes for MVP and 388 points in balloting by a panel of the Baseball Writers' Association of America. Pujols received 12 first-place votes and 347 points. Voting is conducted before the postseason.