Standing pat

Iowa

With all this talk about trading with TB about getting Baldelli/Upton/Dukes or whoever.. what happens if we dont add any starters? How would you feel if we went to bat with basically the same team?

Lets just say this is how the rest of the offseason folds out:

*We were just to add a utility corner IF, someone preferrably that can torch lefties. Lets say we sign Jose Hernandez. ( i know i know)

*We go with Ross/Borchard platoon in CF.. add maybe an obscure 5th OF. Ya know, one of those Ross/Borchard type signings.

*We add someone with closing experience. Lets just say Jose Mesa. (i know i know.. but he basically falls in line with the 3 before him. 4 in a row? lol)

What if thats it? I still think that team can win. I think everyone will just keep improving and we'll see what Hermida and Jacobs can do with a healthy start to the season. I still believe a core offense of Ramirez, Uggla, Cabrera, Jacobs, Willingham and Hermida can do great things.

But to tell you the truth, I'd love to see us get Baldelli and work some more Beinfest magic.

People will be waiting for something big to happen until we win another 9 straight, and then they will realize that it already happened.

Honestly, it's hard to imagine the team not being better no matter what. With the exception of losing Helms and a question mark in the closer's spot, and assuming no major regressions or injuries, you'd get improved production from a healthy Hermida & a healthy Jacobs, improved offense from CF w/ Borch & Cody (the defense might be a problem here). The rotation will be better from opening day, with no dead weight or holes in it. Even our 6th starter options (Pinto, Mitre, Petit, Garcia) are going to be improvements over Moehler incase one of the 5 goes down.

Still, I would very much like to get someone else for CF, whether it be Baldelli, Taveras, just a real CF who can play the defense we need covering all that space.

I was up in Orlando this morning and reading the USA Today (something I normally don't do).

I was reading the baseball section and there was a lot of talk about the meetings coming up.

The article mentioned about 10-12 teams and who they were potentially looking to ADD to their ballclub.

Then they mentioned the Marlins and all it said was the club was not looking to field offers for Dontrelle.

This is the life of a Marlins fan. We're suppossed to be ecstatic not for whom we might be adding, but for the simple fact that were not losing more players.

I really don't think we can stand pat and expect to still have as good a season as last year I think there will be sophomore slumps on this team and I think it would help to add help. If all we get is Mesa and Hernandez I don't think that will be enough to improve a club looking to get better.

Why? Last year we had 2 guys (Hermida & Jacobs) who were hurt & underperforming last season. Even if everyone stays level (and I think it's ridiculous to think the entire team or most of the team will regress/slump next year) and just those two come in healthy and live up to their expectations, the team will be better. The rotation will be what it was at it's best last season. Not to mention DTrain won't start the season still trying to find his rythm after the WBC & all. The team will be better even without an addition. Although I'd like a better CF to put us over the top.

I really don't think we can stand pat and expect to still have as good a season as last year I think there will be sophomore slumps on this team and I think it would help to add help. If all we get is Mesa and Hernandez I don't think that will be enough to improve a club looking to get better.

Why? Last year we had 2 guys (Hermida & Jacobs) who were hurt & underperforming last season. Even if everyone stays level (and I think it's ridiculous to think the entire team or most of the team will regress/slump next year) and just those two come in healthy and live up to their expectations, the team will be better. The rotation will be what it was at it's best last season. Not to mention DTrain won't start the season still trying to find his rythm after the WBC & all. The team will be better even without an addition. Although I'd like a better CF to put us over the top.

Johnson, Nolasco, Uggla and Olivo should come back down to earth (I'd be ecstatic if two of them don't).

Sanchez can't possibly keep up his torrid pace from last season (if he does, he'd be a 24 game winner).

Jacobs' ceiling is not that much higher than what he put up last season, hurt or not, he still can't command the strike zone worth a darn.

Adding an extra 60 runs or so from Hermida's increase in production will not offset the inevitable decline in production from the aforementioned names, to say nothing of the bullpen.

Johnson, Nolasco, Uggla and Olivo should come back down to earth (I'd be ecstatic if two of them don't).

Sanchez can't possibly keep up his torrid pace from last season (if he does, he'd be a 24 game winner).

Jacobs' ceiling is not that much higher than what he put up last season, hurt or not, he still can't command the strike zone worth a darn.

Adding an extra 60 runs or so from Hermida's increase in production will not offset the inevitable decline in production from the aforementioned names, to say nothing of the bullpen.

Basically all he said :thumbup

With all this talk about trading with TB about getting Baldelli/Upton/Dukes or whoever.. what happens if we dont add any starters? How would you feel if we went to bat with basically the same team?

Lets just say this is how the rest of the offseason folds out:

*We were just to add a utility corner IF, someone preferrably that can torch lefties. Lets say we sign Jose Hernandez. ( i know i know)

*We go with Ross/Borchard platoon in CF.. add maybe an obscure 5th OF. Ya know, one of those Ross/Borchard type signings.

*We add someone with closing experience. Lets just say Jose Mesa. (i know i know.. but he basically falls in line with the 3 before him. 4 in a row? lol)

What if thats it? I still think that team can win. I think everyone will just keep improving and we'll see what Hermida and Jacobs can do with a healthy start to the season. I still believe a core offense of Ramirez, Uggla, Cabrera, Jacobs, Willingham and Hermida can do great things.

But to tell you the truth, I'd love to see us get Baldelli and work some more Beinfest magic.

I think this looks more and more like a possibility. I think the difference between this year and last year will be that if we are still in the hunt near the All Star Break, Beinfest will go out and make the deal to put us over the top.

Why should they? because of "sophmore slumps"? because "the league is figuring them out"? Give me a break. As the competition gets better, they will keep up. The first 3 now have a full year in majors behind them - they will be better prepared. Olivo - remains to be seen. Since he's been in the NL though he's been a different player, and there's no really good reason (that I know of) to expect that to change.

I agree about Sanchez, but he doesn't need to win 24 games (would be nice). He could slow down, and I think there would still be a realistic possibility of DTrain, JJ, & Sanchez winning 15 or more a piece.

If Jacobs healthy can be half as productive as he was in NY in 05 (11 HR in 100 ABs) and he played the whole season (say 600 ABs) that should figure to around 30 HRs, and you can figure other stuff from there. But the fact is that a healthy Jacobs would be significantly more productive than he was last year, despite what ever inexplicable reasons you all have to dismiss it and claim where his "ceiling" is. Just like Olivo was going to bat 230 last year and max out at 6 HRs.

Hermida won't be the only player improving next season. More players will improve than regress.

I think this looks more and more like a possibility. I think the difference between this year and last year will be that if we are still in the hunt near the All Star Break, Beinfest will go out and make the deal to put us over the top.

I think he tried. We know they made an offer for Soriano, but the Nats didn't want to trade within the division, and it's never been confirmed or denied if we were the team that put the claim on Andruw Jones.

It sounds like some people are going to be very unhapy if the Marlins succeed in 2007.

What I really like is how confident they are of their proclamations of doom. Why bother to play the season, let's just give up now.

On a positive note, another day has past and it appears our starting rotation is still intact, which means they'll be worth tomorrow than they were today.

Why should they? because of "sophmore slumps"? because "the league is figuring them out"? Give me a break. As the competition gets better, they will keep up. The first 3 now have a full year in majors behind them - they will be better prepared. Olivo - remains to be seen. Since he's been in the NL though he's been a different player, and there's no really good reason (that I know of) to expect that to change.

I agree about Sanchez, but he doesn't need to win 24 games (would be nice). He could slow down, and I think there would still be a realistic possibility of DTrain, JJ, & Sanchez winning 15 or more a piece.

If Jacobs healthy can be half as productive as he was in NY in 05 (11 HR in 100 ABs) and he played the whole season (say 600 ABs) that should figure to around 30 HRs, and you can figure other stuff from there. But the fact is that a healthy Jacobs would be significantly more productive than he was last year, despite what ever inexplicable reasons you all have to dismiss it and claim where his "ceiling" is. Just like Olivo was going to bat 230 last year and max out at 6 HRs.

Hermida won't be the only player improving next season. More players will improve than regress.

We said the same things about Jason Vargas this time last year...For every guy that will "keep up" there are players that don't and go through that slump, I agree that some may get better but I think it's something that we really don't know one way or the other but I think in baseball we see a trend of a sophomore slump and having a lot of sophomores on this team it is something we need to take into consideration during the free agent period adding another player such as a centerfielder would less the blow caused if one of main players slumps.

It sounds like some people are going to be very unhapy if the Marlins succeed in 2007.

What I really like is how confident they are of their proclamations of doom. Why bother to play the season, let's just give up now.

On a positive note, another day has past and it appears our starting rotation is still intact, which means they'll be worth tomorrow than they were today.

And who are you talking about exactly? I dont think anyone in this thread is going to be happy if the Marlins dont succeed in 2007. Thats absolutely ridiculous.