Royals, Meche agree on 5-year contract

Fishfan79

Ken at Foxsports.com just posted up the article for it.

Go Royals, poor guys.

:thumbup

Meche close to signing with Royals

Story Tools:

Print Email Blog This Subscribe

Ken Rosenthal / FOXSports.com

Posted: 6 minutes ago

ORLANDO, Fla. - In a winter meetings stunner, free agent right-hander Gil Meche is close to signing with the Royals, FOXSports.com has learned.

The deal is for 4 years and $45 million, according to MLB source. Both the Cubs and Blue Jays offered Meche deals for 4 years and $40 million, sources said.

The Royals also have made a 3-year, $24 million offer to free agent right-hander Miguel Batista. The Cards and Mariners are also pursuing Batista.

The Royals also are one of four finalists for free-agent right-hander Octavio Dotel, who they likely would use as their closer.

As for the Blue Jays, they were shut out on both Meche and free agent left-hander Ted Lilly, increasing the possibility they will explore trades for CF Vernon Wells.

Meche pitched to an 11-8 record and a 4.48 ERA in 32 starts for the Mariners last season.

Ken Rosenthal is FOXSports.com's senior baseball writer.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/6247654

why wouldn't the royals go after a younger guy instead? they need to get young, and start from scratch.

It's hard to find youth AND talent when your not exactly a competing team. The Royals are trying to find veterans that can support their pitching staff.

terrible

You "realistically" beleive they could have easily done better considering they are in a rebuilding mode? :mischief

maybe i missed something but when did Gil Meche become a good pitcher to give this average pitcher a 5 yr contract over 10 million a year is ridicoulous and the Royals when they complain about how they cant compete with this team or that team because they are poor they have no one to blame but themselves because they have now established a baseline as to what an average mlb pitcher should get . Probably their next signing will be Brian Moehler too a 3 year 30 million dollar contract freaking insane . As a Marlins fan this makes me sick because if a fringe player like Meche gets over 10 million a year for 5 years what is WIllis going to get 8 yr at 20 per ??? even with a new stadium we are not going to afford any of our young pitchers

why wouldn't the royals go after a younger guy instead? they need to get young, and start from scratch.

That is the million dollar question.

If you look the number of quality position prospects in their organization and then our minor league pitching prospects, I've thought for awhile the teams match up perfectly. I would have even considered moving a starter if the package was deep and comprehensive enough but even prospect for prospect trading between us could strengthen both teams.

Moore is either going to be judged a genius or a fool by this time next season. I'm baffled, absolutely awestruck at the money they've committed regardless of the players with the minor league system they're developing.

That is the million dollar question.

If you look the number of quality position prospects in their organization and then our minor league pitching prospects, I've thought for awhile the teams match up perfectly. I would have even considered moving a starter if the package was deep and comprehensive enough but even prospect for prospect trading between us could strengthen both teams.

Moore is either going to be judged a genius or a fool by this time next season. I'm baffled, absolutely awestruck at the money they've committed regardless of the players with the minor league system they're developing.

said minor league system is pretty void of pitching talent.