Brian Anderson now available?

yandro

The Astros are reportedly set to acquire Jon Garland from the White Sox, reportedly for Willy Taveras and Taylor Buchholz.

Okay, the Sox will now have Taveras and Brian Anderson if this deal gets done. We know Beinfest has liked Anderson for a while now. Guillen likes Andino and the Sox have started to stockpile young pitching. Here it comes :)

The Rangers could be interested in acquiring Brian Anderson from the White Sox if they fail to re-sign Gary Matthews Jr.

The Marlins and Rockies are among the other teams that should be interested in Anderson. He might be had rather inexpensively since the White Sox appear to be down on him. In return for Anderson, Phil Rogers believes the White Sox have interest in Rangers prospect Nick Masset, a 24-year-old right-hander who could prove useful as a reliever.

Source: Chicago Tribune

This was from about a month ago but it just shows what they would be willing to part with Anderson for.

Masset isnt anything special.

Yesterday the Nationals turned down Rodrigo Lopez, 9-18, 5.90 ERA, arbitration elgible and earning almost $4 million a year for Ryan Church.

Probably the wisest move of the Winter Meetings. But that said Philly claims Washington wanted Gio Gonzalez who of course was unavailable because he was being packaged in the Chicago trade and frankly would have been overpaying as well.

If the Marlins are even considering looking at one of the weakest hitting* OFers in the game in Anderson, why the heck, with all the pitching prospects we have stockpiled aren't they reaching out to Washington to at minimum bolster their reserves and have a fall back player available in case nothing better comes our way? I mean really, for almost exactly the same money, would you rather have Reggie Abercrombie or Ryan Church?

I've heard the Frank Robinson comments and considering the source I suspect there's two sides to the story. I know he didn't want to go to Mexico this winter as asked. If you look at his numbers the last two years (I exclude 2004 in Montreal, too few at bats over too many games to be relevant) and in 464 at bats he's hit .280+, an OBP of .360+/-, has 19 homeruns, 77 rbis and a .850+/- OPS beside playing a good centerfield and cheap, and can be had a for a pitching prospect.

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. The FO knows they'll be drafting five more pitchers in the 2007 draft for goodness sake go sign the guy and then, if you can find better, great.

I never bad-mouth players, I always say hey they worked hard to make it here, I respect that, but Reggie Abercrombie is the worst player I've seen in a Marlins uniform (talking outfielders here) since Junior Felix. Every day I see his name on the 25 man roster speaks poorly of this franchise. I'm not saying Ryan Church is Jim Edmonds but He sure is an improvement over what we have now and even if it's a baby step, it's in the right direction.

*ranks 186th in BA and 177th in OBP among all ML outfielders

I mean really, for almost exactly the same money, would you rather have Reggie Abercrombie or Ryan Church?

Can we stop with this? There's little to hint that Abercrombie will be given the same amount of playing time as he was last year. And it's not for almost the same exact money. The talent of the player we'd have to give up to acquire Church, Anderson, Taveras, Pence, Cabrera, etc. would likely have more value than the few thousand dollars it'd cost to pay their salaries.

The goal is to win a World Series eventually, not simply to get better production from the CF spot. A world series will require a CF SUBSTANTIALLY better than Abercrombie.

I mean really, for almost exactly the same money, would you rather have Reggie Abercrombie or Ryan Church?

Can we stop with this? There's little to hint that Abercrombie will be given the same amount of playing time as he was last year. And it's not for almost the same exact money. The talent of the player we'd have to give up to acquire Church, Anderson, Taveras, Pence, Cabrera, etc. would likely have more value than the few thousand dollars it'd cost to pay their salaries.

The goal is to win a World Series eventually, not simply to get better production from the CF spot. A world series will require a CF SUBSTANTIALLY better than Abercrombie.

Let me rephrase. If Reggie Abercrombie has a roster spot on opening day our front office has failed miserably.

Let me rephrase. If Reggie Abercrombie has a roster spot on opening day our front office has failed miserably.

I'm going to fully disagree with that statement.

Also, like 3Username said, if the Nats want Gio Gonzalez for Ryan Church.... that means they would want one of our top prospects. Look elsewhere

I'm going to fully disagree with that statement.

Also, like 3Username said, if the Nats want Gio Gonzalez for Ryan Church.... that means they would want one of our top prospects. Look elsewhere

It might be worth considering a) that was reported in a Philly newspaper story not on the Phillies website or confirmed multiple places that GG was the target and at the very same time the story was coming out the Phillies were in fact trading GG away, and b) even if that was what they asked for it seems to me that there's a lot of room for negotiation between a Rodrigo Lopez and Gio Gonzalez where two intelligent general manager's could find some agreement.

Would you trade Petit for him? I would. Would I trade a couple of the can't miss the majors Marlins top fifty Maverickball prospects*? You betcha. Would I trade anyone not in our top four *or five* pitching prospects? Yes. Contrary to Rferry's belief championship teams ARE built incrementally, one player at a time, and Church would be an upgrade over our failed CFer and our fourth and fifth outfielders right now and able to play either corner as well if called upon because of injury or trade (Jacobs for example). And besides, you can trade him tomorrow if you want. Not to mention he's lefty and hits lefties better than any of the three above. But then again he hits righties better than any of them too. And he's minimum wage. It a no lose.

Not everything is black or white, if it were no deals would ever get done. There's plenty of wiggle room to make a deal here. And if not this deal, make a better one, but don't ignore the opportunity when it's right there staring you in the face.

I know I'm repeating myself but a bird in the hand...

* talking about the ones posted to date.

What actions have been taken so far to make you believe that Abercrombie WONT be given the same amount of PT in 2007 as in 2006?

What actions have been taken so far to make you believe that Abercrombie WONT be given the same amount of PT in 2007 as in 2006?

the fact he barely played after August 1st(29 at bats)

the fact he barely played after August 1st(29 at bats)

Yeah but Ramp you know Reggie will most likely have a monster spring, thereby reinforcing the organizations hopes that his 5 tools will all start tooling at the same time and whammo, Reggie is out in CF Opening Day.

My point was sort of that the Marlins have yet to do anything in the offseason to indicate that Reggie will get less PT next year.