Kaplan's sports talk show on WQAM canceled

MrAndMrsFish

WQAM (560) is canceling Ed Kaplan's late-night sports-talk show, which has been a fixture on the South Florida airwaves for the past 20 years. Kaplan, the first sports-talk show host hired by WQAM, will do his final program in that time slot on Dec. 29.

Kaplan's weeknight show, which usually follows live events and runs until 2 a.m., will be replaced by ESPN Radio programming.

WQAM has given Kaplan the option to remain part-time as a fill-in host and as a host from 7 to 10 p.m. when the station has no Marlins, Panthers or University of Miami conflicts. He also has been offered a baseball show before weekend Marlins games. Kaplan, who declined comment today, hasn't given WQAM a response.

Kaplan's show apparently was deemed expendable because late-night hours don't generate big revenue for radio stations, and WQAM prefers to allocate its resources toward more significant daytime programming.

''We picked up ESPN and like what they do,'' WQAM general manager Joe Bell said. ``We can better utilize Ed in prime day parts. I like Ed a lot and hope he stays.''

In the most recent ratings book, the 10 p.m.-to-midnight portion of Kaplan's show attracted a strong 5.3 share of the audience among men ages 25-54 -- the key demographic group for sports-talk stations. But the overall audience is much smaller during that time.

A native of White Plains, N.Y., and a graduate of the University of Michigan law school, Kaplan gave up a successful law practice in 1984 after he tired of dealing with complex real estate transactions and construction law cases. He then nearly died of a ruptured appendix during a Las Vegas vacation before returning to South Florida to pursue his new dream of becoming a sportscaster.

His first on-air gig was at WKAT, where he provided boxing analysis on Chris Myers' talk show. He landed his first full-time job on WGBS in 1985 as host of a trivia show. WQAM hired him to do a late-night talk show in 1986, but he took the program to WINZ in 1993 when the Heat changed flagship stations.

WINZ dropped Kaplan in 1996, but WQAM hired him a few weeks later. Kaplan earned listeners' loyalty by staying on the air until all the West Coast games had gone final. Without Kaplan, who would not give his age, the market's only locally originated late-night sports talk show will be on 790 The Ticket, where host Kevin Rogers stays on the air until midnight.

LINK

Wow this sucks for those that liked listening to Eddie K after Marlins, Heat, Panthers games....i'm going to miss Eddie K... when i used to work til late at night he would usher me home every night....

Sad day in SoFla radio.

Ive spent many a drive home listening to Eddie K. One of the most baseball knowledgable radio hosts around. And if you like sports betting, Eddie was always the most entertaining thing on the radio down here.

With this decision, WQAM takes one step closer to being a complete waste of time.

Hopefully Eddie K will go to 790.

Thanks for the memories Eddie.

Hopefully none of you guys who have a special place in your heart for Eddie K will hate me for saying this but IMHO he was one of the worst people on that station. A total freakin bore considering it's late night. Unless your a degenerate gambler I really do not find much quality in any of his shows.

560 as a whole has taken a total sh*t the past 3 years. I find myself not listening to that station mainly b/c of all the cross over cuban music I hear in the background. Has anyone tried staying up late to listen to a Marlins game when they are on a West Coast trip? 11PM comes around and you can't even hear any of the game b/c its being drowned out by some other station.

Hopefully none of you guys who have a special place in your heart for Eddie K will hate me for saying this but IMHO he was one of the worst people on that station. A total freakin bore considering it's late night. Unless your a degenerate gambler I really do not find much quality in any of his shows.

560 as a whole has taken a total sh*t the past 3 years. I find myself not listening to that station mainly b/c of all the cross over cuban music I hear in the background. Has anyone tried staying up late to listen to a Marlins game when they are on a West Coast trip? 11PM comes around and you can't even hear any of the game b/c its being drowned out by some other station.

Totally agreed with your 2nd paragraph. Couldnt have said it better myself.

As to paragraph 1, to each his own. But I will ask this.........Name me a SoFla radio broadcaster who is a BIGGER Marlins fan than Eddie K.

Totally agreed with your 2nd paragraph. Couldnt have said it better myself.

As to paragraph 1, to each his own. But I will ask this.........Name me a SoFla radio broadcaster who is a BIGGER Marlins fan than Eddie K.

No doubt Eddie K is one of the biggest. I do not disagree about that. I find myself just getting bored to hell listening to him. Perhaps it's his voice or just the generel subject of material. Maybe it's my timing but it seems like everytime I turn on that station some old man is talking about horse racing.

Hank Goldberg is way more guilty of boring horse racing talk than Eddie K.

I refuse to listen to Hank. He wouldnt know a baseball if it hit him in the face.

:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

Hank is nothing but a PURE MORON! I'll take Kap anyday

Yeah, no kidding. Castro must not like baseball.

WQAM is getting interfered with by a Cuban AM station on the 560 frequency. Really....there is not much they can do.

yep...Fidel does not have to follow FCC regulations, so he can turn up the juice on the transmitter as much as he wants. Also, at night, the range of an AM station actually increases. On a side note, on a really clear night in SOFLA, you can hear 750 WSB a station out of Atlanta which used to do (?) Braves games.

WQAM is getting interfered with by a Cuban AM station on the 560 frequency. Really....there is not much they can do.

yep...Fidel does not have to follow FCC regulations, so he can turn up the juice on the transmitter as much as he wants. Also, at night, the range of an AM station actually increases. On a side note, on a really clear night in SOFLA, you can hear 750 WSB a station out of Atlanta which used to do (?) Braves games.

Since the range of AM stations increase at night, QAM and all other AM stations reduce their power by half allowing the Cuban station to be heard.

There's hope the Mr. Eddie Kaplan can work things out with WQAM and his show may remain on. Stay tuned for further updates today. I hope he stays. I've been listening to him for 20 years. He's hands down the biggest baseball fan of any of the broadcasters down here. He's a Marlins fan. He's very knowledgable about all sports, and brings up different issues. And as a gambler(not a degenerate) I enjoy the gambling talk, which comprises perhaps 5% of his show.

There's hope the Mr. Eddie Kaplan can work things out with WQAM and his show may remain on. Stay tuned for further updates today. I hope he stays. I've been listening to him for 20 years. He's hands down the biggest baseball fan of any of the broadcasters down here. He's a Marlins fan. He's very knowledgable about all sports, and brings up different issues. And as a gambler(not a degenerate) I enjoy the gambling talk, which comprises perhaps 5% of his show.

Amen!

• 3 weeks later...

Someone at WQAM probably got their pee pee spanked because Eddie Kaplan is going back on the air (per the Sun-Sentinel). I dont have a link.

Starting tonite, he will be on from 9-12 if there is no game on WQAM. He will also be filling in for Mandich (who wouldnt know a baseball if he caught a fastball in the forehead) and Fat Hank (who wakes up everyday and says 20 Hail Mary's so that bad things will happen to the Marlins organization).

Eddie will also be doing some Marlins post-game stuff too. Sweet.

Did anyone hear anything about Boog getting the Braves announcer job?