Holiday Gift Ideas

Hotcorner

I wish I knew what I was getting my girlfriend. All I know is she has bought a boat load of stuff and I have yet to get her anything. :confused I just have no clue what to get. This is our first Christmas together so I want it to be special.

Get her a full day at a nice Spa.

You will be a hero.

I wish I knew what I was getting my girlfriend. All I know is she has bought a boat load of stuff and I have yet to get her anything. :confused I just have no clue what to get. This is our first Christmas together so I want it to be special.

Oooh that's the worst, when it's your first whatever together (first as a couple, married, whatever). I mean there's always jewelry but I hate shopping for that stuff myself, & if I let her pick it out the surprise is ruined. Plus I'm cheap.

Spa is always a nice one, as Don mentioned. Or get her a Nintendo Wii. :shifty

I got my dad a subscription to The Weekly Standard and 2 Ohio State sweatshirts. I'd like to get him some DVD sets of some of his favorite shows but he will never sit down and watch them or actually take the time to watch them so it's like a wasted gift so I end up getting him something non-exciting like the two aforementioned items.

My mom is an absolute terror to buy for, she gets passive about gifts and acts like she doesn't really have any wants and doesn't give anyone any hints so I usually get some aid for her teaching or some stuff I find at the Christian book store. I absolutely hate shopping for that woman, I want to do soemthing great for her but its impossible.

As for a girlfriend/fiancee/wife from past experience I think jewelry is incredibly hard to purchase because its really difficult to get something that fits them and its a really cliche thing to give something that has an engraving or something on it, imo. I'd stay away from that and look at something like a Broadway show (obviously not something currently on Broadway) or a concert, something you can do together but that isn't cheap along with a dinner or something and then throw in some little fun things. FTF, you are in a tough spot though and one like me where the woman buys a lot and puts you on the spot. I tried telling Alexis to try to cap it because we have our wedding in August, but she wouldn't do it and it puts me in a bind but I'm not going to feel obligated to match her gifts dollar for dollar and I don't think you should either.

This year is tough for me. I just got married in June and finished paying off the wedding and honeymoon last month. Dec 21st is our "6 Month Anniversary" and I think she is expecting something for that, my parents' 33 year Anni is Dec 16. My dad's birthday was Dec 4. And now we have our first Christmas as a married couple...

I know she wants an IPOD but practical gifts are seldom a good idea. She?s also a Red Sox fan living in NY, which is a good idea even less often. :mischief

SO ? here?s what I did. First, I signed up for DirectTV ? which she knew about. The dish will let her get NESN, which carries all the Red Sox games when I'm not watching YES. That just got installed yesterday. That?s gift 1 of our anniversary gift to ourselves. Gift 2 comes with a story. The day after our wedding reception [in August after we came back from our honeymoon], we came home to a flooded house. We have spent the last 4 months getting the house put back together. One of the last things I had to do was put a new acoustical tile suspended ceiling in the spare room. I just couldn?t get motivated to do it. She finally promised me that I could buy a tractor [which I have wanted to get for the last two or so years] if I finished the spare room ceiling. In the mean time we bought a new car and spent almost $3000 on a new couch. So, money has been FLYING out of our pockets. Now I have the go-ahead to buy this tractor which seems like a trivial expense when we have a couch to pay off and a loan out on a new car.

Adding to the drama, I had to sell my old car [my first new car ever]. I also decided to cowboy up and sell my boat when someone looking at the car made a fair offer on the boat instead. It was bittersweet because it is literally the boat we fell in love on and I loved that thing. Unfortunately, the reality of the situation is that I just didn?t get to use it enough. So, I took the money and set aside a certain amount for my tractor and the rest would go towards a lump sum payment on the new car.

Now she knows that I ordered a ?tractor? and that it should be here by Christmas. I told her that the tractor would be gift #2. What she doesn?t know is that the tractor I decided to buy is really a 50? Samsung DLP HD TV [purchased through the Amazon link on this site] which she wanted us to buy each other for our 1 year anniversary. So, I think she?ll be pretty happy about that.

Since she wants an IPOD for Christmas, I bought her the 80GB IPOD Video plus all this crap so it?ll work in her car and whatnot. I didn?t think that was romantic enough, though. So, I bought her the new Killers album [her favorite new band] and loaded that on her IPOD. I also loaded 50 First Dates [her favorite movie for some reason], and a bunch of ?our? songs. I?m hoping that the thought that went into loading the IPOD is romantic enough to make up for the fact that I?m buying her electronics for Christmas!

Happy Holidays. :santa

Guest marlins02

well i was going to get my mom something on monday with my sister but she backed out when i told her i didnt want to buy what she wanted (its very very weird for a man to buy this for his mom) but im telling her lets look around and hse said no. im not sure what to get her, maybe a watch or perfume? i gotta convince my sister to come with me because she knows everything my mom likes.

i wanna get my friend perfume after her sister told me it be a good idea so yesterday at the mall i took a friend and we looking for perfume and adding stuff to my list. i got a bunch of samples and names on my list.

my sister got an ipod from me for her birthday 3 months ago so um yeah that will do... she's my sister so i can do that :lol

this other friend i work told me straight up what she wants so im just get her that.

im horrible at shopping for women on my own, always asking other females for help.

i also gotta try to get something for my grandparents, they really deserve something but i dont knwo what to get... so ill be asking my mom for help on that. its a cycle.

btw as long am i here, any opinions on what to get would be greatly appreciated...

Its christmas, and If parents can ask their lil kids to make a list to ease in their buying, why not come out and ask your mom/dad/girlfriend etc in things they may be interested in... ask them to name a few items, and go from there.. its what i do and it works out fine. If you can go to the mall and find something on your own that you know theyll love, then do it. but i have no clue what to get my mom so i asked her and im gettin her the perfume she loves! its better than guessing and half-assing it! just an option for you guys!

This year is tough for me. I just got married in June and finished paying off the wedding and honeymoon last month. Dec 21st is our "6 Month Anniversary" and I think she is expecting something for that, my parents' 33 year Anni is Dec 16. My dad's birthday was Dec 4. And now we have our first Christmas as a married couple...

I know she wants an IPOD but practical gifts are seldom a good idea. She?s also a Red Sox fan living in NY, which is a good idea even less often. :mischief

SO ? here?s what I did. First, I signed up for DirectTV ? which she knew about. The dish will let her get NESN, which carries all the Red Sox games when I'm not watching YES. That just got installed yesterday. That?s gift 1 of our anniversary gift to ourselves. Gift 2 comes with a story. The day after our wedding reception [in August after we came back from our honeymoon], we came home to a flooded house. We have spent the last 4 months getting the house put back together. One of the last things I had to do was put a new acoustical tile suspended ceiling in the spare room. I just couldn?t get motivated to do it. She finally promised me that I could buy a tractor [which I have wanted to get for the last two or so years] if I finished the spare room ceiling. In the mean time we bought a new car and spent almost $3000 on a new couch. So, money has been FLYING out of our pockets. Now I have the go-ahead to buy this tractor which seems like a trivial expense when we have a couch to pay off and a loan out on a new car.

Adding to the drama, I had to sell my old car [my first new car ever]. I also decided to cowboy up and sell my boat when someone looking at the car made a fair offer on the boat instead. It was bittersweet because it is literally the boat we fell in love on and I loved that thing. Unfortunately, the reality of the situation is that I just didn?t get to use it enough. So, I took the money and set aside a certain amount for my tractor and the rest would go towards a lump sum payment on the new car.

Now she knows that I ordered a ?tractor? and that it should be here by Christmas. I told her that the tractor would be gift #2. What she doesn?t know is that the tractor I decided to buy is really a 50? Samsung DLP HD TV [purchased through the Amazon link on this site] which she wanted us to buy each other for our 1 year anniversary. So, I think she?ll be pretty happy about that.

Since she wants an IPOD for Christmas, I bought her the 80GB IPOD Video plus all this crap so it?ll work in her car and whatnot. I didn?t think that was romantic enough, though. So, I bought her the new Killers album [her favorite new band] and loaded that on her IPOD. I also loaded 50 First Dates [her favorite movie for some reason], and a bunch of ?our? songs. I?m hoping that the thought that went into loading the IPOD is romantic enough to make up for the fact that I?m buying her electronics for Christmas!

You are a real american geinus! :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

As for me, I dont have the will to type up all the stuff i bought. All I know is that it has been pretty hectic as Im sure all of you are. Got most of my shopping done online. I think I went to the store all but twice. The girlfriend was actually pretty good this yr, I bought everything without having to think about it 10 million times... Should be another fun holiday! Oh btw I bought myself a little bday(dec 20th) and xmas present. New car! :mischief

Guest marlins02

My parents won't make a list.

"I'll appreciate what you think to get me" or some other similar blanket answer is what I get.

yesterday the friend i went to the mall with found some jeans she thought would be good for her dad so she called her mom in jamaica (long distance) to ask his size and next thing i know they arguing because her mom told her her dad dont need no jeans and wouldnt tell her what he wanted.

whenever my mom tells me something she wants its some really expensive sh*t that she knows i cant get so asking my mom dont help either. she wants a cartier watch this year. :|

Here is the exchange b/w me and my dad yesterday:

"Hey dad, I want a new electric razor for Chanukah. What do you want?"

-"I want you to stop breaking bones, and make it home safely from Tally."

"Come on, seriously. I have to get you something and you always do this. Just tell me what you want."

-"Someone's on the other line, stop wasting my daytime minutes and call me after 9"

*click*

Guest marlins02

Here is the exchange b/w me and my dad yesterday:

"Hey dad, I want a new electric razor for Chanukah. What do you want?"

-"I want you to stop breaking bones, and make it home safely from Tally."

"Come on, seriously. I have to get you something and you always do this. Just tell me what you want."

-"Someone's on the other line, stop wasting my daytime minutes and call me after 9"

*click*

:lol :lol :lol

i say just go home safe then and save your money.

Or you can get it here for like $159.99:

http://www.rlcv.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=249

:mischief

oh damn thanks!! ill get her a carter :mischief

your like the Admin beinfest of gift giving, playing with your money, selling your car along with your boat to get a car and your wife the HD tv.

Guest marlins02

your like the Admin beinfest of gift giving

:blink:

Should I give that a

:lol

or a

:chair

??

beinfest a great GM so not that latter

if i said samson it be another story :lol

You are a real american geinus! :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

As for me, I dont have the will to type up all the stuff i bought. All I know is that it has been pretty hectic as Im sure all of you are. Got most of my shopping done online. I think I went to the store all but twice. The girlfriend was actually pretty good this yr, I bought everything without having to think about it 10 million times... Should be another fun holiday! Oh btw I bought myself a little bday(dec 20th) and xmas present. New car! :mischief

which car? congrats man thats really exciting....im looking at cars myself