Darin Erstad?

sgleason02

Has anyone started a thread about him as a potential CF candidate yet? He could also get some starts at 1st. mlbtraderumors.com lists a few teams that are interested in him, but I was thinking that at this stage in his career, he might take a bit of a discount to play for a team with a better chance to make the playoffs than those that are listed as interested in him. Opinions anyone?

Ahhh, no thanks.

So you think he'll take a 95% cut in pay to play here, if he's able to actually play at all. The guy had a great career, he made almost $9,000,000 last season he isn't coming here for four or five hundred thousand, not to mentions he's he's far from ready physically to warrant being signed by anyone.

(Upon hitting the news reports break of Admin Beinfest and Darin Erstad coming to terms :D )

Ahhh, no thanks.

So you think he'll take a 95% cut in pay to play here, if he's able to actually play at all. The guy had a great career, he made almost $9,000,000 last season he isn't coming here for four or five hundred thousand, not to mentions he's he's far from ready physically to warrant being signed by anyone.

(Upon hitting the news reports break of Admin Beinfest and Darin Erstad coming to terms :D )

This is why he won't make near that $9 mill he did last year. C'mon, we gave Aaron Boone 1 million to be a bench guy and he hasn't done anything productive since his injury. You don't think we'd pay Erstad at least that much to come in and start a few games in center?

he has some bone chip problems from last year, so that's a red flag. also i have a bit of a grudge from 2005 when he ran over johnny estrada and ruined his season with a dirty play. but if he can get back to his previous form, i think he could be a good addition for you guys.

I remember that. Very dirty player. I'll pass.

That was not dirty. Erstad is not a dirty player. What beef would the Angels have with the Braves?

I also remember Roger Clemens throwing part of a bat at Mike Piazza. DIRTY! Keep that guy away from here! HAHA :rolleyes: Alright, so Darin Erstad's not quite Roger Clemens, but I don't know that you can hold something like that against a guy, eventhough I don't recall the actual play you're talking about. But if we're gonna let our conscience get in the way, we'd better cancel Sanchez's invite to Spring Training since he was suspended for banned substance use.

His last good offensive season was in 2000! He has missed significant time with injuries twice (in 2003 and last year). In his last full season (2005) his OPS was under .700. He's 32 so naturally his numbers will decline a bit. The last full season he had as a center fielder was in 2002. PASS!

I also remember Roger Clemens throwing part of a bat at Mike Piazza. DIRTY! Keep that guy away from here! HAHA :rolleyes: Alright, so Darin Erstad's not quite Roger Clemens, but I don't know that you can hold something like that against a guy, eventhough I don't recall the actual play you're talking about. But if we're gonna let our conscience get in the way, we'd better cancel Sanchez's invite to Spring Training since he was suspended for banned substance use.

To compare Erstad and Clemens is ridiculous. I wouldn't mind adding a dirty player or even an a**hole as long as he can play. Erstad is a dirty player and a crappy player. When was the last time he didn't have a bad year? I don't want dirty, crappy players on my team. If you like dirty, crappy players on your team that's fine with me.

To compare Erstad and Clemens is ridiculous. I wouldn't mind adding a dirty player or even an a**hole as long as he can play. Erstad is a dirty player and a crappy player. When was the last time he didn't have a bad year? I don't want dirty, crappy players on my team. If you like dirty, crappy players on your team that's fine with me.

Is Pete Rose known as a dirty player?

He absolutely destroyed a catcher (can't remember his name right now) on a play at the plate. The catcher was never the same.

He absolutely destroyed a catcher (can't remember his name right now) on a play at the plate. The catcher was never the same.

Fosse. I don't remember the details of the Rose / Fosse play. I remember the Erstad play. In my opinion it was a dirty play. If you disagree that's fine. Many people thought it was dirty and many disagreed.

If Erstad was a good player I wopuld welcome him. He stinks.

Fosse. I don't remember the details of the Rose / Fosse play. I remember the Erstad play. In my opinion it was a dirty play. If you disagree that's fine. Many people thought it was dirty and many disagreed.

If Erstad was a good player I wopuld welcome him. He stinks.

I wouldnt say he stinks but he's definitely no Pete Rose. My point was that Pete Rose almost killed a guy at home plate (Ive seen the play many times) but he is not known as a dirty player.

With all that said, I'll pass on Erstad.

Being a hard-nosed player is one thing and veering away from the plate to unnecessary slam your shoulder into a catcher's face is something else. If he had to slam into Estrada to score it would be one thing (and I would applaud him) but that's not what happened as Estrada was blocking the plate with his extended leg with his body to the right of the plate. Anyway if he was less of a so called "hard-nosed" player and less of a so called "clubhouse leader" and more of an actually good MLB player then sure bring him on. Bottom line is he stinks as a MLB player.

How many times a season do players get injured due to baserunners sliding out of the basepath on their way to second, trying to break up a double play? That's just how the game's played.

If I had time right now, I'd throw some Erstad stats on here to show that he is far from "crappy" as some of you have stated.

Alright, I made a few minutes here to dig up some career stats.

Career .286 hitter, .341 OBP, .416 SLG, 76.9 SB%, .756 OPS.

Defensively, he's not too shabby, either: Career .995 Fielding % between OF and 1st.

Can someone please explain what part of these statistics, would allow someone to form the opinion that Darin Erstad is a "crappy" player?

Alright, I made a few minutes here to dig up some career stats.

Career .286 hitter, .341 OBP, .416 SLG, 76.9 SB%, .756 OPS.

Defensively, he's not too shabby, either: Career .995 Fielding % between OF and 1st.

Can someone please explain what part of these statistics, would allow someone to form the opinion that Darin Erstad is a "crappy" player?

Let's examine his resume since his career year (seven years ago):

'06 - He only had 95 ABs with a crappy .605 OPS

'05 - He was 2nd worst hitting 1B in MLB (per Yahoo)

'04 - He was the worst hitting 1B in MLB (per Yahoo)

'03 - He only had 258 ABs with a crappy .642 OPS

'02 - He was the 4th worst hitting CF in MLB (per Yahoo)

'01 - He was the 3rd worst hitting CF in MLB (per Yahoo)

Crappy player.

Ok, first of all, let's throw out the obvious. He was dealing with major injuries in '03 and '06. You can NOT hold injuries against a players ability and performance. No one could have performed well with those injuries.

In the other four years that you pointed out where he was the 2nd worst hitting 1B, the worst hitting 1B, the 4th worst hitting CF, and the 3rd worst hitting CF; he still posted stat lines that are a shade better than "crappy."

'05 .273 BA, .325 OBP, .371 SLG, .696 OPS

'04 .295 BA, .346 OBP, .400 SLG, .746 OPS

'02 .283 BA, .313 OBP, .389 SLG, .702 OPS

'01 .258 BA, .331 OBP, .360 SLG, .691 OPS

And don't forget his defense. In the NL, you play both offense AND defense.

Bottom line: He's NOT "crappy!"