Cardinals sign Preston Wilson to one year, $1 mil deal

Hammerhead

Cards, Wilson agree to $1 million, one-year deal

Associated Press

ST. LOUIS -- Outfielder Preston Wilson agreed Monday to a $1 million, one-year contract with the Cardinals after helping St. Louis win its first World Series title in 24 years.

The 32-year-old, who can make an additional $500,000 in performance bonuses, hit .243 with eight homers and 17 RBIs in 32 games with the Cardinals after signing as a free agent in August. Wilson, who started the season with Houston, had a combined 17 homers and 72 RBIs.

In his first postseason appearance, Wilson was the Cardinals' primary left fielder and appeared in 13 games -- including all five games in the World Series. He batted .200 in 35 at-bats with two RBIs in the postseason, and had the go-ahead double in Game 5 of the NL Championship Series.

Wilson figures to give the Cardinals outfield depth at all three spots and provides insurance behind Chris Duncan, who hit 22 homers in about a half-season as a rookie. Wilson and the left-handed hitting Duncan platooned much of the time.

Wilson's best season was in 2003, when he had 36 homers and 141 RBIs for the Colorado Rockies.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

source

One year, one mil. We should have considered him a little bit more.

When you look at our options, I think Preston would have looked like a pretty good signing at $1 mil for one season. I'm not saying I would have wanted to see him in CF every day, but it would have given us more options. As of right now, I don't think any of our candidates would do much better (Ross, Borchard, Amezaga, Abercrombie, and Reed)... Of all those guys, I hope Ross gets a shot at starting out there....

I'm not saying Preston Wilson's good, or has a lot left in the tank, but for one year $1 million, I think it's pretty safe to say he'd be a fair bet to outproduce Aaron Boone in any role, and he'd represent a sizeable upgrade over anything we'd trot out in center...

Totally agree with you... I didnt want Wilson but sh*t for 1 Mil? Thats a steal....even with all his damn strikeouts

I'm not saying Preston Wilson's good, or has a lot left in the tank, but for one year $1 million, I think it's pretty safe to say he'd be a fair bet to outproduce Aaron Boone in any role, and he'd represent a sizeable upgrade over anything we'd trot out in center...

Totally agree with you... I didnt want Wilson but sh*t for 1 Mil? Thats a steal....even with all his damn strikeouts

If they get Shannon I wouldnt mind this letting go

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.