Good sites to download music?

JetsMania

http://www.gomusic.ru (which used to be mp3search.ru)

It's perfectly legal, and you can dowload most music you are looking for, for anywhere between $.13 to $.19 a song.

Since the site is based in Russia, you can get a lot of new releases about 2-3 weeks early, because of the earlier release dates over there. I got the new Wilco CD in March and it just released about a week ago here in the US, and it only cost me about $2.00.

This is seriously the best secret out there for downloading music legally.

(It's legal because of loose copyright laws that apply in Russia and not the US. You basically are importing a product into the states, just the same as if you would have bought a DVD player in Russia and brought it back with you to the US)

The downfalls are that you have to download each song one by one, rather than by album as with iTunes, and you might have to clear the first purchase with your bank first, since it is a Russian purchase.

Wait for Amazon's download service.

Non-DRM tracks and they will be MP3. I don't know how anyone can download DRM music.

emusic is a good site. A monthly fee for like up to 90 downloads a month and all of the tracks are high quality VBR with no DRM. You won't find 'popular' music on there though.

iTunes needs to offer DRM free music and not 128 kbps AAC encoded songs.

I can't believe in 2007 people would settle for that garbage.

I think they are stopping the DRM thing (at least for the Beatles Catalog at first) and I think from now on they are offering 192 kbps.

Im pretty ignorant when it comes to compressed files. Could you go into more detail about this?

Im pretty ignorant when it comes to compressed files. Could you go into more detail about this?

i second that. i have no clue what youre saying Fox.

if the quality sounds fine to me, i couldn't care less.

Thats pretty much my thoughts on this. I have a pretty particular ear when it comes to music and I dont have any issues with ITunes sound quality only their lack of selection.

Sorry didn't see this until now.

I'm not trying to be a snob but I personally like V0 encoded MP3s or lossless compression music files.

V0 being a CD that uses the lame codec to rip the data off the CD and usually has an audo bitrate of ~215+.

The files you download on iTunes are 128 kbps AAC roughly 160 kbps if they were in MP3. The lower the quality of a music file the more you compromise cutting out the distinct sounds of a song.

I think anything less than 192 is a waste from an audio quality standpoint.

I can hear notable differences from an iTunes file to a CD I rip using the V0 standard. Anyone who cares about their music should want the best quality they can get for a reasonable price/file size.

The masses don't care, so iTunes has no reason to change the far and away best digital downloading service (from a money making standpoint).

I'm also against any files that have DRM (Digital Rights Management) endoded in to them. These files regulate what you can or can not do with music you paid for. You can't play iTunes bought tracks on non-iPod players and there are limits on how many computers can use the song. I'm pretty sure Steve Jobs is shying away from DRM but it still exists.

Most of this is personal preference but its just 'sad' to me that the digital music standard is a file with sound quality as poor as 128 AAC.

Sorry didn't see this until now.

I'm not trying to be a snob but I personally like V0 encoded MP3s or lossless compression music files.

V0 being a CD that uses the lame codec to rip the data off the CD and usually has an audo bitrate of ~215+.

The files you download on iTunes are 128 kbps AAC roughly 160 kbps if they were in MP3. The lower the quality of a music file the more you compromise cutting out the distinct sounds of a song.

I think anything less than 192 is a waste from an audio quality standpoint.

I can hear notable differences from an iTunes file to a CD I rip using the V0 standard. Anyone who cares about their music should want the best quality they can get for a reasonable price/file size.

The masses don't care, so iTunes has no reason to change the far and away best digital downloading service (from a money making standpoint).

I'm also against any files that have DRM (Digital Rights Management) endoded in to them. These files regulate what you can or can not do with music you paid for. You can't play iTunes bought tracks on non-iPod players and there are limits on how many computers can use the song. I'm pretty sure Steve Jobs is shying away from DRM but it still exists.

Most of this is personal preference but its just 'sad' to me that the digital music standard is a file with sound quality as poor as 128 AAC.

Fair enough and a very good explanation.

I noticed a vast sound quality difference when I initially stopped buying CD's and began purchasing music from ITunes.

The decrease in sound quality (mostly low end) was very evident on my ITunes purchases.

But I seem to have gotten used to it (which doesnt make it right).

Maybe I'll summons the ambition to seek out more high quality MP3's in the near future.