Game Thoughts - June 28th

Hollyberry

Some mini thoughts...

• Nice to see our offense coming through.
  • Olsen with a great outing this afternoon. Other than the 7th inning - he was in control. 10 strike outs and 5 in a row to start the game. Olsen really have shaped up since Fredi pulled him.
  • Nice to see our "other" guys doing the job (Linden, Treanor and Carroll). Carroll has looked better and better each game.
  • Bullpen was alittle shakey today but they didnt blow the lead.
  • Gregg with a nice comeback from last night. SUPERMAN!
  • Hanley with 100 hits. Awesome.

Does anyone have a video or picture of the Treanor car wash? If yes, can you post it ;) .

i also want to throw in...I am upset at the people in charge of some of these camps...last year they left in the 7th inning (most)...this year many left in the 7th despite the game beginning an hour earlier...and what got me was with 2 outs in the top 9 tieing run at the plate in a guy who hit a homer earlier..., half the camps got up and left...inexcusable to get up with 2 outs...what's 5 more minutes?!?!

Some mini thoughts...

• Nice to see our offense coming through.
  • Olsen with a great outing this afternoon. Other than the 7th inning - he was in control. 10 strike outs and 5 in a row to start the game. Olsen really have shaped up since Fredi pulled him.
  • Nice to see our "other" guys doing the job (Linden, Treanor and Carroll). Carroll has looked better and better each game.
  • Bullpen was alittle shakey today but they didnt blow the lead.
  • Gregg with a nice comeback from last night. SUPERMAN!
  • Hanley with 100 hits. Awesome.

Does anyone have a video or picture of the Treanor car wash? If yes, can you post it ;) .

How huge was Miller getting the last out with runners at 2nd and 3rd in the 7th.

i also want to throw in...I am upset at the people in charge of some of these camps...last year they left in the 7th inning (most)...this year many left in the 7th despite the game beginning an hour earlier...and what got me was with 2 outs in the top 9 tieing run at the plate in a guy who hit a homer earlier..., half the camps got up and left...inexcusable to get up with 2 outs...what's 5 more minutes?!?!

Thats definitely annoying, but its not just the camps that do that. Did you see how many people left lastnight after the 9th inning? No matter where I am, Im always surprised at how many people leave early during crucial situations.

i was sitting by the bullpen for todays game and i dont blame the relievers for anything really.... fredi should have had some one up in the pen prior to the start of the inning instead he waited till scotty wasnt doing good. regardless of how good he was pitching his pitch count was in the high 90's to start off the inning.he shoulda had a fresh arm in the pen atleast ready to come in if needed. lindstrom didnt warm up for too long by the time they got him in there..... and most of his pitches to start off were in the low 90s (a bunch clocked at 93) when he's normally in the high 90s he finally pumped it up to 97 mph towards the last hitters he faced... then again tankersly wasnt warming up for long either. miller did good because fredi knew regardless of what tank did he was going to have miller face the righty so he had him warming up and ready.

just my thoughts...

I didn't watch the game but I have a hard time believing someone who allowed 5 ER, 7 hits and 2 BBs in 6 innings had a great game. It looks like the offense once again bailed out poor pitching.

He had six very good innings, but the 7th, he let a few runners on and was taken out. I think he left with two men on, and the reliever allowed them to score. Only 2 walks and 10 k's in six innings is very good (esp. the two walks for Olsen).

I didn't watch the game but I have a hard time believing someone who allowed 5 ER, 7 hits and 2 BBs in 6 innings had a great game. It looks like the offense once again bailed out poor pitching.

olsen pitched really good. 10 k's and wasnt really in trouble till the 7th.... and i believe it was like the 3rd inning he threw alot of pitches.

Umm...maybe people are forgetting that Fredi really tried to lose that game. Olsen was at 100 when he was allowed to melt-down in the 7th.

That's my beef.

I think he had 98 or so going into the seventh....I would've sent him back out, honestly. I may have pulled him after the second double, but I had no problem waiting until the walk. We were still up 8-3, so we had room to play a little. It just so happens our bullpen didn't hold things down.

olsen pitched really good. 10 k's and wasnt really in trouble till the 7th.... and i believe it was like the 3rd inning he threw alot of pitches.

Ks count for only one out so whether he had 10 Ks or 3 or 5 Ks it doesn't really matter to me. Allowing 5 ER in 6 innings is really bad unless he was victimized by a bunch of bloops or shoddy defense.

Was he victimized by a bunch of bloops or shoddy defense?

Umm...maybe people are forgetting that Fredi really tried to lose that game. Olsen was at 100 when he was allowed to melt-down in the 7th.

That's my beef.

If Fredi really wanted to lose this game he would have kept Olsen out there longer. The pen should have done the job.

That's my beef.

I think he had 98 or so going into the seventh....I would've sent him back out, honestly. I may have pulled him after the second double, but I had no problem waiting until the walk. We were still up 8-3, so we had room to play a little. It just so happens our bullpen didn't hold things down.

there was no one warming up until after the 2nd double!.... they shoulda had some one up just incase. teams do it all the time.

Ks count for only one out so whether he had 10 Ks or 3 or 5 Ks it doesn't really matter to me. Allowing 5 ER in 6 innings is really bad unless he was victimized by a bunch of bloops or shoddy defense.

Was he victimized by a bunch of bloops or shoddy defense?

I think he had 4 earned runs. One inning he gave up a 2 run homer and then in the 7th he gave up 2 doubles and a walk. Thats when he was taken out. Lindstrom gave up another one of Olsen's runs. One was forced out at 2nd. He just had 1 bad inning. Like watch Rich and Tommy said.. he pitched better than what his line says.

That's my beef.

You want to send him out, fine, but the fact that there was no one warming up when it was both conceivable that he could hit in the bottom of the 6th and also run into trouble in the 7th against some good/hot Pirates hitters in completely inexcusable, and there's no doubt in my mind was not dictated by circumstance but rather overall philosophy. As in, the game could have been 5-3 and I think it unfolds the exact same way.

That's my beef.

If Fredi really wanted to lose this game he would have kept Olsen out there longer. The pen should have done the job.

Yeah, because a 'pen has to be perfect. :rolleyes:

You give a guy the chance to start an inning fresh and you're wonderful, asking anyone but the top 2 relievers on any team to clean up someone else's mess is a recipe for disaster.

That's my beef.

You want to send him out, fine, but the fact that there was no one warming up when it was both conceivable that he could hit in the bottom of the 6th and also run into trouble in the 7th against some good/hot Pirates hitters in completely inexcusable, and there's no doubt in my mind was not dictated by circumstance but rather overall philosophy. As in, the game could have been 5-3 and I think it unfolds the exact same way.

I agree, having someone warming up in the 'pen would've been a good idea.

As for your other thoughts, I guess you're free to your opinions. I haven't paid that close attention to what scores relievers are warming up at vis-a-vi the condition of the starting pitcher to make an educated statement on that subject.

Camps start letting out at 4-5pm, where their parents pick them up. The kids need to be back to wherever they are from to get picked up by that time. To be honest, I think they are more worried about yelling parents than loss of morale for a team they really don't give a sh*t about.