Second Half: Last chance for Jake to prove he can rake?

Guest Festa

Guest Festa

First off, I'd like make it clear I have been a defender of Mike Jacobs since the Fish acquired him from the Mets. I defended him after last year's disappointing season offensively and defensively. I made the case on other boards that I thought his major issue holding him back was that nagging ankle injury.

With that being said, I'm leaning towards believing if Jacobs doesn't put up some average to above average statistics (for a 1B) in the second half that the FO my look at moving him after the season. Willingham is a more than capable replacement (Ramp or 2003 mentioned this yesterday and it got me thinking) and moving him out of the outfield will only do good for the outfield defense. Josh has improved his defense in LF ten-fold from last season, but it still isn't anything to write home about. Personally I think Willingham's days as a shortstop and a catcher (i.e. footwork) could make him a plus defender with a plus arm.

Two main issues with Jacobs:

1) If I recall correctly Jacobs was one of the worst first basemen in the league last year in terms of OPS. This season things have not changed and Jake continues to be in the bottom of the league in the OPS category.

2) His defense does not make up for the lack of thunder in his bat. He is average at best. His range is limited to both sides.

However, he had several very nice swings last night. In a perfect world Jake stays healthy the second half and rakes as I and many others thought he would when he was first acquired.

His numbers may not be any more impressive, but Jake has impressed me compared to last year. He isn't trying to play his power with that loopy swing. He's staying back on the ball, driving it nthe opposite way, and still jumping on those inside pitches. He is noticibly a much better complete hitter, and I think we just need to be a little more patient.

Statistically he was the worst full time first baseman in baseball last year. No one else was bottom 3 in ops and fielding percentage. He's got to show something in the second half, but I truly believe it won't make a difference for 2008 Jacobs is our guy so whatever...yeah its a nice upgrade to think about but meh.

He had a .850somethin OPS before going down with an injury.

Since coming back he slumped. Do to his limited ABs, this killed his current OPS.

I have no problem getting rid of Jacobs, as long as we're better by doing it. And I still have faith in him. I think he can put up a .850-.900 OPS if he's healthy over a full season. He's got a good eye and good pop. It's not amazing, but the question is who can we replace him with that's better? Willingham at first is fine and all, but that then means we need someone in left field.

Again like the hermida talk, way way to premature, imo.

Apples to oranges there.

Hermida's young with a pedigree. Jacobs is old(er) for a "prospect" and he's at the 'what you see is, generally, what you get' stage.

I'm going to have to disagree with that. While the age difference is a difference, he's only 26, just now entering his prime. I'd say that stage is more at the 28yo stage. And, like Hermida, he has yet to have a full healthy season of ABs. There's also a reason that Jacobs was the Mets' top prospect. At 22 he lit up AA, .329/.376/.548/.924. While by no means Hermida's 111 BB AA stint at 21, it's still a very impressive line at a young age. 23 he was injured, and at 24 I'm not exactly sure why the Mets still had him at AA (Which he lit up again...but at 24, that's not exactly "brag" material).

I'm not saying Jacobs=Hermida, Hermida has a LOT more wiggle room, but I wouldn't say the comparision of both talks being premature is unwaranted. Main difference being that Hermida has the chance of being something turly special, but I'd still say Jacobs has a bright future.

Guest Festa

I see a healthy Jacobs in his peak years putting up a .270-.280ish average, 20-25 homers, 35-40 doubles a season- Mike Lowell circa 2000-2002 ish numbers. It's hard seeing him hit 30+ homers because NL East has some of the deepest LCF alleys in baseball.

Again like the hermida talk, way way to premature, imo.

Apples to oranges there.

Hermida's young with a pedigree. Jacobs is old(er) for a "prospect" and he's at the 'what you see is, generally, what you get' stage.

I'm going to have to disagree with that. While the age difference is a difference, he's only 26, just now entering his prime. I'd say that stage is more at the 28yo stage. And, like Hermida, he has yet to have a full healthy season of ABs. There's also a reason that Jacobs was the Mets' top prospect. At 22 he lit up AA, .329/.376/.548/.924. While by no means Hermida's 111 BB AA stint at 21, it's still a very impressive line at a young age. 23 he was injured, and at 24 I'm not exactly sure why the Mets still had him at AA (Which he lit up again...but at 24, that's not exactly "brag" material).

I'm not saying Jacobs=Hermida, Hermida has a LOT more wiggle room, but I wouldn't say the comparision of both talks being premature is unwaranted. Main difference being that Hermida has the chance of being something turly special, but I'd still say Jacobs has a bright future.

Ummm...when was he ever their #1 prospect?

Err, misunderstanding on my part. I thought I heard/read about it awhile ago, just looked it up, and it was that he won the organizational award for "top minor leaguer." Don't know how I got the two mixed up, pretty big difference, haha.