2nd half predictions

linkmaster

Hey. I was wondering how everyone thinks the Marlins will perform in the 2nd half of the season.

Here is my mid-season recap, and my predictions for the 2nd half:

Marlins Mid-Season Recap

1st Half record: 37-44

Projected 162-game record: 74-88

Offense: The young Marlins bats have dispatched the idea of being one-year wonders with some strong results again in 2007. Dan Uggla has pounded out 50 RBI's and 30 doubles after his magical rookie year in 2006. Josh Willingham has driven in 48 runs while Henley Ramirez hit .320 in the first half as the table setter of the offense. Franchise player Miguel Cabrera rounds out the talented group with a .328 average and 57 RBI's.

Pitching: As good as the Florida offense has been, the pitching has been a different matter. After having a rotation of live, young arms a year ago, the Marlins have had all kinds of rotation problems in 2007. 2006 standouts Josh Johnson and Anibal Sanchez have been limited to only nine starts in 2007. Sanchez is out for the year with an injury while Johnson is back on the DL. Lefties Dontrelle Willis and Scott Olsen have lacked consistency with E.R.A.'s near five. Sergio Mitre has been the bright spot in the rotation with a 2.75 E.R.A. The overworked bullpen has also been exposed at times this year. Kevin Gregg has been a nice addition in the closing role. He is a perfect 15-of-15 in save chances.

1st Half Stats and Notes: The Marlins are 16-25 at home this season...Florida is 25-14-2 to the over at home this season...The Marlins are 5-0 to the over in Byung-Hyun Kim's five home starts.

Better or Worse in 2nd half? Better. Florida is 5-3 to start the second half. While this club will have trouble getting into the playoff race, there is enough young talent on this roster to improve on a disappointing first half. The everyday lineup should get only better as the inexperienced Marlins continue to gain more confidence with each game. However, the rotation is very questionable going down the stretch. The pitching problems are likely to offset the quality offensive production in the second half. The end result will have Florida treading around the .500 mark by the end of the year but with some optimism for 2008 if the young arms can rebound next year.

We are actually 42-47.

This team has been streight up 500 since the 6 game losing skid back in April. We are dealing with too many injuries and I don't know who is in th minors who could heal this rotation if anything. Our Bullpen is good and our offence isnt that bad, but our rotation needs to go deeper and our defence needs to be better. One key thing I am hoping for is that Dontrelle which be a better second half pitcher like last year once the trde talks go away.

I think about 74 wins sounds about right. It's hard to expect more from a team that is awful on defense and has a pitching staff that doesn't throw strikes. Also, if they trade Willis then they probably won't make it to 74 wins.

Dontrelle really only has the opportunity to impact 15 more games this season, and I would just assume that at least half of those games would border on a negative impact, rather than positive. If we can fill a couple holes, and gain some rotation help in the process, I would hold to the belief we would win more games.

I think about 74 wins sounds about right. It's hard to expect more from a team that is awful on defense and has a pitching staff that doesn't throw strikes. Also, if they trade Willis then they probably won't make it to 74 wins.

Why wouldn't we reach 74 wins if we trade Willis? He's been pretty crappy this year.

Why wouldn't we reach 74 wins if we trade Willis? He's been pretty crappy this year.

So Obermueller would be better than a sub par Willis?

We would hopefully get something in return in the rotation department for Willis, plus we have a couple upgrades on Obermueller who could come in (RVH, Gaby, Barone)

Because Obermueller is the only available person to replace him.

Hey. I was wondering how everyone thinks the Marlins will perform in the 2nd half of the season.

Marlins Mid-Season Recap

Offense: The young Marlins bats have dispatched the idea of being one-year wonders with some strong results again in 2007. Dan Uggla has pounded out 50 RBI's and 30 doubles after his magical rookie year in 2006. Josh Willingham has driven in 48 runs while Henley Ramirez hit .320 in the first half as the table setter of the offense. Franchise player Miguel Cabrera rounds out the talented group with a .328 average and 57 RBI's.

Pitching: As good as the Florida offense has been, the pitching has been a different matter. After having a rotation of live, young arms a year ago, the Marlins have had all kinds of rotation problems in 2007. 2006 standouts Josh Johnson and Anibal Sanchez have been limited to only nine starts in 2007. Sanchez is out for the year with an injury while Johnson is back on the DL. Lefties Dontrelle Willis and Scott Olsen have lacked consistency with E.R.A.'s near five. Sergio Mitre has been the bright spot in the rotation with a 2.75 E.R.A. The overworked bullpen has also been exposed at times this year. Kevin Gregg has been a nice addition in the closing role. He is a perfect 15-of-15 in save chances.

1st Half Stats and Notes: The Marlins are 16-25 at home this season...Florida is 25-14-2 to the over at home this season...The Marlins are 5-0 to the over in Byung-Hyun Kim's five home starts.

Better or Worse in 2nd half? Better. Florida is 5-3 to start the second half. While this club will have trouble getting into the playoff race, there is enough young talent on this roster to improve on a disappointing first half. The everyday lineup should get only better as the inexperienced Marlins continue to gain more confidence with each game. However, the rotation is very questionable going down the stretch. The pitching problems are likely to offset the quality offensive production in the second half. The end result will have Florida treading around the .500 mark by the end of the year but with some optimism for 2008 if the young arms can rebound next year.

Very interesting!!!!

Marlins trade Dontrelle to Seattle, and get 2/3 of the Seattle AAA wonder triplets and a smaller piece or two like J. Reed or O'Flaherty. In subsequent moves, dumb salary with veterans, acquire a lot of Harvey Garcias.

All the pitchers come back in August, and the team is over .500 the final two months playing spoiler to whoever eventually comes in 2nd in the NL East.

Hermida drops an .850 second half OPS.

Marlins buy out Hanley's Arbitration.

Give Cabrera a Vernon Wells contract over 7 years.

Marlins get a stadium deal.

I think that about covers it. I'm feeling optimistic.

Marlins trade Dontrelle to Seattle, and get 2/3 of the Seattle AAA wonder triplets and a smaller piece of two like J. Reed or O'Flaherty. In subsequent moves, dumb salary with veterans, acquire a lot of Harvey Garcias.

All the pitchers come back in August, and the team is over .500 the final two months playing spoiler to whoever eventually comes in 2nd in the NL East.

That is being way more than just optimistic Lou. Hope you don't have to take a random drug test any time soon at work.

Marlins trade Dontrelle to Seattle, and get 2/3 of the Seattle AAA wonder triplets and a smaller piece or two like J. Reed or O'Flaherty. In subsequent moves, dumb salary with veterans, acquire a lot of Harvey Garcias.

and and and THE MARLINS WIN THE PENNANT, THE MARLINS WIN THE PENNANT, THE MARLINS WIN THE PENNANT. Its up up and away. Might as well go for it. Give me a hit, Lou.

Optimistic but that would be a dream come true if it went down like that.

Marlins Mid-Season Recap

Very interesting!!!!

I want to believe!

We would be trading an innings eater for a CF/and or catcher. Our pitchng staff would suk the big one.