Mets release Julio Franco

Libelula

He was supposedly the glue, but his piss poor performance kind of brought an end to that. That and has been butting heads with announcers and reporters a lot lately. I think losing his issues at the plate and with media outweigh losing him in the clubhouse.

He was supposedly the glue, but his piss poor performance kind of brought an end to that. That and has been butting heads with announcers and reporters a lot lately. I think losing his issues at the plate and with media outweigh losing him in the clubhouse.

No, I mean I understand why he was released, but I think it's very very odd to see a high character guy like Franco let go and an a**hole in Milledge (AKA "know your role, rook") brought in.

It's almost like Minaya's trying to see how far he can push that team before it turns into a complete circus.

No, I mean I understand why he was released, but I think it's very very odd to see a high character guy like Franco let go and an a**hole in Milledge (AKA "know your role, rook") brought in.

It's almost like Minaya's trying to see how far he can push that team before it turns into a complete circus.

He really didn't have a choice. Injuries really forced the hand. With Gomez, Alou, and Endy all out for a while they needed the depth in OF. Before the call up of Milledge they were looking at an OF of David Newhan-Carlos Beltran-Shawn Green. That and they want to keep Sandy Alomar Jr up so they can use Castro as a PH more. It just made too much sense. If they could have wasted a roster spot on a glorified coach, I think he would have stayed.

He really didn't have a choice. Injuries really forced the hand. With Gomez, Alou, and Endy all out for a while they needed the depth in OF. Before the call up of Milledge they were looking at an OF of David Newhan-Carlos Beltran-Shawn Green. That and they want to keep Sandy Alomar Jr up so they can use Castro as a PH more. It just made too much sense. If they could have wasted a roster spot on a glorified coach, I think he would have stayed.

I mean, there is Ben Johnson, it's not as if he was having a bad season in New Orleans.

It just strikes me as odd for the Mets to have praised themselves for their character to then do a complete 180 on this.

I completely understand that performance dictated the moves, but the Mets held Milledge back in large part because of his attitude and signed Franco in large part because of his attitude...just saying.

the Mets held Milledge back in large part because of his attitude and signed Franco in large part because of his attitude...just saying.

How so? They intended for him to start the season in the majors and push Shawn Green. When Green started off really hot, they sent him down for more playing time. He would have been recalled over Gomez but has been injured for a while and is just coming back. If anything, they were really excited about his development in Spring Training and his recent rehab starts. Yeah, his attitude is bad at times, but I think it's really over blown. I think he has become more dispensable since Fernando Martinez and Gomez really came into their own, but I think they still regard him highly. Hell, they could have sent him in deals for Buerhle or Blanton (in the offseason) but didn't want to part with him for anything less than fair value.