New Stadium's Impact on the Marlins

With the approval of the final $50 million needed to fund the new Marlins ballpark, it finally looks like the Marlins may have a deal in place for their new stadium. If this is the case, Marlins' FO has been known to have stated that they will not sign players to long-term contracts or look at higher profile free agents until they have completed a deal for a new stadium. So, with these latest developments, do you believe that the Marlins organization will finally shed their miser label and spend some money to improve the ballclub? Too bad Marlins management did not wait another two weeks before trading Cabrera and Willis.

With the approval of the final $50 million needed to fund the new Marlins ballpark, it finally looks like the Marlins may have a deal in place for their new stadium. If this is the case, Marlins' FO has been known to have stated that they will not sign players to long-term contracts or look at higher profile free agents until they have completed a deal for a new stadium. So, with these latest developments, do you believe that the Marlins organization will finally shed their miser label and spend some money to improve the ballclub? Too bad Marlins management did not wait another two weeks before trading Cabrera and Willis.

Not for a while, the Twins have a new ballpark deal and they let Torii Hunter go and are shopping

Johan Santana.

Don't jinx it yet... we're only halfway there on the country approval. They should hash out and vote on the major stadium plan this afternoon. Even then, there are more hoops to jump through... the major one being Jeffrey Loria.

This winter may prove me wrong but I've said previously I believe, even if a bit of it is for show, upon completion of a deal (and today is not the completion of a deal) the Marlins will immediately double their payroll as an act of good faith to the fans.

How long it lasts I don't know.

Am I wrong? Maybe.

But let's get a deal done first.

double their payroll as an act of good faith to the fans.

Wow, how 'cordial' of them.

Of course from someone who thinks John Henry didn't almost single-handedly destroy this franchise is his short tenure here, I'm not surprised by the comment.

The process of reestablishing some credibility with the fans is going to be made in baby steps and I suspect that will be the first one. Of course, seeing Samson move to California wouldn't be a bad one either.

Guest Night Phantom

This winter may prove me wrong but I've said previously I believe, even if a bit of it is for show, upon completion of a deal (and today is not the completion of a deal) the Marlins will immediately double their payroll as an act of good faith to the fans.

Am I wrong? Maybe.

Forget doubling the payroll.....the good grace they need to do is sign Hanley to a VERY long term deal.

Not for a while, the Twins have a new ballpark deal and they let Torii Hunter go and are shopping

Johan Santana.

and WHAT do the twins have to do with the marlins?

Am I wrong? Maybe.

Forget doubling the payroll.....the good grace they need to do is sign Hanley to a VERY long term deal.

7 years, 105 million :goodpost

Johan Santana.

No that is smart business and has nothing to do with their ballpark. They offered a competitive contract for Hunter, but the Angels offered a ridiculous one. Signing Torii 'just because you can' is dumb and is how you get into payroll hell. The last few years of that deal will be horrendous for Anaheim. Let alone, the high probability he will miss significant time from injury. Ballpark or no ballpark, Torii needed to go for a mid market team. Also, the Twins are a smart franchise. They understand Cleveland and Detroit (even before Cabrera) both are much better than them right now. Sinking money into an aging player is just pointless.

With Johan, that organization is stacked with pitching - Liriano, Boof, Baker, Slowey, Guerrier, Neschek, Crain, Perkins, and more in the minors. You'd imagine trading Johan will net at least one of a Buccholz/Lester/Hughes level starting pitcher and other great pieces. A very good argument can be made to move him now before the mega contract must be signed, and also the belief that you shouldn't pay a pitcher that much as he only plays in 30 games. (Nathan should bring in another arm or two too). That is a great young pitching core to build around that could be devastating in a year. And the twins easily have a lineup to build around - Mauer, Morneau, Delmon, Cuddyer, Casilla. I see no problems with moving those two, even if they are both excellent excellent players. Not a ballpark signability issue.

As for the Marlins, they don't need to spend money in free agency for the team to get better. They need a year for the minor league pitching to develop, for Maybin and Coghlan to develop, and for Johnson/Anibal/West/Nolasco/Owens and others, to all come back healthy. This organization is completely self sufficient besides a C and a 3B right now, and if you look at FA options, none were worth the price this year, and next year the best names are Glaus, Crede, and Ensberg, and Johjima and whatever is left in Pudge's body. i.e., stuff you don't want. We're going to have to trade away a few parts, my guess Gregg, Uggla, Olsen, Mitre, Amezaga, and maybe one of Hammer/Jacobs and some additional pitchers, to fix longterm C and 3B problems. It ain't coming from spending money. Spending money only becomes an issue three years down the road when Hanley and Hermida are both .900+ OPS animals and will need to get paid.

Am I wrong? Maybe.

7 years, 105 million :goodpost

That would be a horrible horrible contract. Looking at top recent SS comparables (Reyes, Rollins, M. Young, B. Crosby, and Peralta), we would be looking at something like this - 500k, $3, $4.5, $7, $10, $12.5, $14.5 (7/$52). This would blow all of their contracts out of the water by a solid 30% (and that's really just Reyes, it would be blowing the others into outer space), which is very respectful to how much better Hanley is. For at least the first 5 years of that deal, Hanley would be the highest paid shortstop for his level of experience in the history of MLB. However. He may be so good he might just get straight up compared to Cabrera and especially Wright. The Mets, including option, gave him a $7/70 million contract. Same basic service time as Hanley. I think it would be safe to split the difference and assume Hanley would be in the neighborhood of 7/low $60s, and spread out the additional costs however you would like over the seven year scale I propose above.

And that, would be awesome.

Do you think that had they reached this agreement a month ago, Cabs and D Train would still be here?

No

I agree that a stadium deal would not have affected the decision to deal Cabrera (or Dontrelle). If it had been that important, they would have undoubtedly held off on dealing Cabs until this latest legislative push for a stadium played itself out (after all, they knew this was looming at the time they were shopping him and they must have had an inkling of the political support they were going to get). A new stadium, and the revenue it allows the team to control, will enable the Marlins to raise payroll, hopefully significantly, but almost no team outside of NY, LA and the Northside of Chicago could afford to pay two superstars of Miggy and Hanley's caliber (both top 10 or 15 players in their prime) and still field a decent team around them. Recognizing that this was a team unlikely to contend for a championship in the next two years they controlled Miggy, the decision was made to build around Hanley, in part because he bought the team more time until a stadium was built and a new revenue structure was in place. That was certainly a big reason, but the fact that Miggy's value in the NL was likely to decline somewhat in the coming years due to his eroding defensive skills and the fact that Hanley may well be the more complete player when you consider his average-power-speed package (and while he is also not the greatest defensive player, I believe there is more hope for him to improve in this area as well). As special a hitter as Cabrera is, the decision to deal him now actually showed a great deal of foresight on the part of the FO, IMO.

Things will surely change, but expect progress to come slowly if at all. You're talking about implementing a whole new philosophy regarding player acquisition. That's harder to instill than it is in video games or without firesales. Part of what made the present system successful was that young stars like Cabrera and Willis knew they were to be held to the same standards as the stopgap journeymen and youngsters of lesser talent they spent 2/3rds of their year with. As we saw following the 2003 World Series, everyone wanted a piece of the pie and some found themselves dismissed or their requests ignored.

I believe Samson has already said that they aren't going to raise payroll much until after the stadium starts bringing in revenue...

Would make sense, especially with their recent shift in financial commitments. And considering the contract status of our best players around time of the proposed opening. But I have faith that if it calls for it and has a direct impact on the team's chances of winning (and we can't forget this unfortunate fact, the owners' motivation: profit generation), there will be an investment in payroll.

rferry yet again comes up with a way to say absolutely nothing. I am curious to see his position on everything once the stadium deal (hopefully) is finalized.

Better to say nothing than the lies you spurt out.

My point was to caution against expecting too much by offering a point for consideration. Spike, you and a billion others do the same thing by suggesting a lack of commitment on part of ownership and congratulate yourselves. Yet someone does so using a slightly less normative statement, and you're up in arms? Who's the one without substance again? Exactly. Piss off.