A Tradition Like No Other - SoFlaFish's 2nd Annual Spring Roadtrip

SoFlaFish

It's getting closer folks! Pitchers and catchers report to Jupiter on my birthday this year (Feb. 17). And because I am sick and tired of the same endless and useless posts about Norman Braman, the stadium negotiations, who is going to start at 3B, why are we the laughing stock, etc., etc., etc., it's time to get some optimism back into this here hizzouse!! Something to get the spring back in your step, something to get your toes tingling. That's right, the four best words in all of sports:

PITCHERS AND CATCHERS REPORT

With the release of the Spring Training schedules (thank goodness I picked up a USA Today yesterday while waiting for my flight at Tampa International Airport), the Second Annual SoFlaFish & EvenLittlerSoFlaFish Spring Training Tour is finalized. As is my desire for 2008, I plan on hitting sites that I missed last season. Here is the confirmed schedule:

SAT, March 1, 2008: Marlins vs. Cardinals, Roger Dean Stadium, Jupiter, FL

SUN, March 2, 2008: Mets vs. Dodgers, Holman Stadium, Vero Beach, FL

MON, March 3, 2008: Braves vs. Mets, Tradition Field, Port St. Lucie, FL

TUE, March 4, 2008: Yankees vs. Blue Jays, Knology Park, Dunedin, FL

WED, March 5, 2008: Braves vs. Indians, Chain of Lakes Park, Winter Haven, FL

THU, March 6, 2008: Rays vs. Phillies, Bright House Networks Stadium, Clearwater, FL

FRI, March 7, 2008: Tigers vs. Braves, Champion Stadium, Walt Disney World, FL

SAT, March 8, 2008: Nationals vs. Astros, Osceola County Stadium, Kissimmee, FL

And of course, the annual tradition of Spring Training pictures begins on February 17 when pitchers and catchers report. Perhaps, Mods, it's time to create a "Spring Training" subforum, or a "sticky topic."

Stay tuned for pictures . . . .

No trek to Fort Lawdy Dawdy? :(

Have fun in the prettier ballparks in the inferior parts of the state though.

Go search the boards to find last season's First Annual SoFlaFish and EvenLittlerSoFlaFish Spring Training Tour, when I hit Fort Lauderdale for a Marlins-O's game. This year I tried to hit the parks I didn't do last season, so that's why the "tour" is laid out the way it is. For a quick re-cap, the First Annual SoFlaFish and EvenLittlerSoFlaFish Spring Training Tour consisted of eight (8) games in eight (8) days to these parks, in this order: (1) Roger Dean Stadium - Jupiter; (2) Ft. Lauderdale Stadium - Ft. Lauderdale; (3) Space Coast Stadium - Viera; (4) Holman Stadium - Vero Beach; (5) Hammond Stadium - Ft. Myers; (6) Ed Smith Stadium - Sarasota; (7) Al Lang Stadium [i will not call it Progress Energy Park!] - St. Petersburg; and (8) City of Palms Park - Ft. Myers.

that being said...here is my 2008 ST schedule

March 7: Fly in*

March 8: Orioles vs Mets 1:05 @ Ft Lauderdale

Thrashers @ Panthers 7:00 @ Sunrise *

March 9: OFF DAY*

March 10: Orioles vs Dodgers 1:05 @ Ft. Lauderdale

March 11: Twins vs Rays 1:05 @ Ft Myers

March 12:Dodgers vs Nationals 1:05 @ Dodgertown

Quinniac vs FIU softball 5:00/7:00 @ FIU OR Panthers vs Islanders 7:30 @ Sunrise

March 13: O's vs Twins 1:05 @ FTL

March 14: Mets @ Marlins 1:05 @ Jupiter&

Rangers @ Panthers 7:30 @ Sunrise*

March 15: QU Softball @ FAU*

March 16: fly back or Baltimore vs Washington 1:05 @ Ft. Lauderdale and Thrashers @ Panthers 5:00 @ Sunrise*

*=barring Quinnipiac University hockey obligations

&=barring my Marlins strike is over

The Baltimore games I will almost definently go to as well as at least 2 of the hockey games. The rest is really up in the air, whether I have a car, whether I will be in town...should be interesting

My dad and I have been to a lot of Spring Training runs like this one. There really is nothing better than being with your old man checking out the various spring training facilities at the dawn of a new baseball season. Truly special.

We've been to every Spring Training park in Florida at least once, but a lot of them we have been to several times.

Some day we want to check out the action in Arizona, but with me going to college next year budget will be tight

Anyway, have fun with your child on your trip. It'll be a memorable experience :thumbup

it's getting that time of year out here as well - definitely want to see the dodgers play this year during their stretch and will probably catch them in surprise against the royals or maryvale against the brewers

am going to try and make it to an angels game this year as well

love this time of year

It's getting closer folks! Pitchers and catchers report to Jupiter on my birthday this year (Feb. 17). And because I am sick and tired of the same endless and useless posts about Norman Braman, the stadium negotiations, who is going to start at 3B, why are we the laughing stock, etc., etc., etc., it's time to get some optimism back into this here hizzouse!! Something to get the spring back in your step, something to get your toes tingling. That's right, the four best words in all of sports:

PITCHERS AND CATCHERS REPORT

With the release of the Spring Training schedules (thank goodness I picked up a USA Today yesterday while waiting for my flight at Tampa International Airport), the Second Annual SoFlaFish & EvenLittlerSoFlaFish Spring Training Tour is being currently planned and finalized. As is my desire for 2008, I plan on hitting sites that I missed last season. For the time being, here is the tentative schedule:

SAT, March 1, 2008: Marlins vs. Cardinals, Roger Dean Stadium, Jupiter, FL

SUN, March 2, 2008: Mets vs. Dodgers, Holman Stadium, Vero Beach, FL (last season of Dodgertown - I must go, even though I was there last season!)

MON, March 3, 2008: Braves vs. Mets, Tradition Field, Port St. Lucie, FL

TUE, March 4, 2008: Yankees vs. Blue Jays, Knology Park, Dunedin, FL (CONFIRMED - Tickets Purchased)

WED, March 5, 2008: Tigers vs. Pirates, McKechnie Field, Bradenton, FL (OR) Twins vs. Yankees, Legends Field, Tampa, FL

THU, March 6, 2008: Rays vs. Phillies, Bright House Networks Stadium, Clearwater, FL

FRI, March 7, 2008: Tigers vs. Braves, Cracker Jack Field, Walt Disney World, FL (CONFIRMED - Tickets Purchased)

SAT, March 8, 2008: Nationals vs. Astros, Osceola County Stadium, Kissimmee, FL

SUN, March 9, 2008: See LittleSoFlaFish compete at Universal Cheerleader Association National Tournament, Orlando, FL

And of course, the annual tradition of Spring Training pictures begins on February 17 when pitchers and catchers report. Perhaps, Mods, it's time to create a "Spring Training" subforum, or a "sticky topic."

Stay tuned for dates and schedule changes . . . .

I love the astros complex

And yet another year our schedules are just a day or two off. But Cracker Jack Field? I call it Mouse Ear Stadium. I believe the real name is Champion Stadium. Never been there but am looking forward to the experience.

We're hitting the Marlins game at Dodgertown. Wouldn't miss it. From what I have read the Dodgers are only playing 10 games there this year, which fulfills their contract with the county. I feel bad for the folks there but understand the org's decision. One place ya read the O's are moving there for sure, another says it is still up in the air, and another says it is all hush-hush. I would think a rush gets put on the new facilities in Arizona and this is the last year and the O's make the move.

We only have 3 or 4 of our games finalized. But we are pumped.

Question:

If the O's move to Dodgertown will it still be called Dodgertown or will it be called Orioletown?

btw, I'm half joking and half serious

I'll have to go to my videos on this question. But I believe the stadium is called Holman(sp) Stadium. The complex is called Dodgertown. Kinda like Space Coast Stadium for the Nats. It's at Carl Barger Complex(or something like that).

It is an interesting question tho. I can only assume it will change. Maybe named for someone or some org that meant alot to keeping minor league/ST baseball there. But take it further. What about some of the street names? Are the residents ticked off to the point they are going to make major changes? I'll ask on our trip there. Maybe 2003 will as well to see what kinds of responses we get.

• 3 weeks later...

We just secured all of our ST tix for all our road trips with the exception of the BoSox. We'll hit the scalpers there. Those games at DodgerTown are selling quickly, if anyone is interested.

As of yesterday, I bought all my game tickets. I got my Dodgertown tickets early and am looking forward to sitting in the LF berm for that game (EvenLittler SoFlaFish loves berm seating!). I had to make one change because the Twins-Yankees game in Tampa was sold out, and I didn't want to drive down to Bradenton from my hotel in Clearwater (especially since I spent so much time at McKechnie Field while I was in college). So instead I secured tickets for the Braves-Indians game in Winter Haven. I've never been to Chain of Lakes Park, and I'm glad I will get to go as that is the other facility that is closing down this year with the Indians leaving to Arizona with the Dodgers.

A shocker was how expensive the Astros tickets were. There are only two prices for Astros games $17.00 and $20.00. A pleasant surprise was how cheap Mets tickets were. I secured bleacher seats for $6.00 right at the box office (good thing I was in Stuart last week on business, so I just shot up to PSL and bought the tickets at the stadium).

By the way, my road trip was featured on ESPN.com last week as part of their myESPN blogs! I thought that was pretty cool! Feel free and come visit my profile at myESPN. Geez, while you're there, sign up. Think of it as MySpace for sports fans. Plus, we can use all the Marlins fans we got over there!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.