February 28, 200818 yr Cameron Maybin, who can't hit anything off-speed, knows what to do with a fastball as he proved today. And when he connects, as we've read his former coaches and scouts say the ball DOES SOUND DIFFERENT COMING OFF HIS BAT. Everyone noticed it's a !! crack !! that speaks to his future as an outstanding major leaguer. Jose Cantu's play at third base today included in his first three plays an error, letting a throw he was supposed to cut off go through his legs and a throwing error. Even the first play he made (to first) he bobbled the ball before making the throw. Let's hope McPherson heals quickly or they try Robert Andino (who made a couple of stellar plays) at third, otherwise Castillo wins by default. My god Andrew Miller is thin ! And good. I happen to be seated such that looking to my left I could watch every pitch while Miller warmed up for two innings, throwing strike after strike after strike from the bullpen mound. All in all three balls were put in play, a single and two ground balls. Sink, sink, sink. Cody Ross is not about go quietly into the still night, not with the homerun he hit today. Who the hell is this kid Tagg Bozied or whatever? Did he come down from a spaceship in the middle of the night to steal fame away from Gaby Sanchez? Only one game, what a great swing and more than held his own at first. Who knows, he may never have another game like this one today but it was nice to watch. Justin Miller is still slinging and Matt Lindstrom can still throw 100 mph and the bullpen looks like they're ready to start the season. Lindstrom's changeup is improving and setting it up with his fastball should be illegal. Now if he can just get control of a breaking ball I might join the "trade Kevin Gregg" chorus but we aren't there yet. We saw some of the worst baseball ever, by both teams, in the first inning, but once things settled down it was a pretty good game if you were a Marlins fan (and I'd say more than 50% of the people there were).
February 28, 200818 yr Author De Aza hits a slam... 16 runs.. I likey... :thumbup By the time he *hit* it was minor league and I mean really minor league baseball. But nonetheless it certainly made his day.
February 28, 200818 yr Cameron Maybin, who can't hit anything off-speed, knows what to do with a fastball as he proved today. And when he connects, as we've read his former coaches and scouts say the ball DOES SOUND DIFFERENT COMING OFF HIS BAT. Everyone noticed it's a !! crack !! that speaks to his future as an outstanding major leaguer. Jose Cantu's play at third base today included in his first three plays an error, letting a throw he was supposed to cut off go through his legs and a throwing error. Even the first play he made (to first) he bobbled the ball before making the throw. Let's hope McPherson heals quickly or they try Robert Andino (who made a couple of stellar plays) at third, otherwise Castillo wins by default. My god Andrew Miller is thin ! And good. I happen to be seated such that looking to my left I could watch every pitch while Miller warmed up for two innings, throwing strike after strike after strike from the bullpen mound. All in all three balls were put in play, a single and two ground balls. Sink, sink, sink. Cody Ross is not about go quietly into the still night, not with the homerun he hit today. Who the hell is this kid Tagg Bozied or whatever? Did he come down from a spaceship in the middle of the night to steal fame away from Gaby Sanchez? Only one game, what a great swing and more than held his own at first. Who knows, he may never have another game like this one today but it was nice to watch. Justin Miller is still slinging and Matt Lindstrom can still throw 100 mph and the bullpen looks like they're ready to start the season. Lindstrom's changeup is improving and setting it up with his fastball should be illegal. Now if he can just get control of a breaking ball I might join the "trade Kevin Gregg" chorus but we aren't there yet. We saw some of the worst baseball ever, by both teams, in the first inning, but once things settled down it was a pretty good game if you were a Marlins fan (and I'd say more than 50% of the people there were). I'll give Cantu some more time to get comfy. Tagg was a top power prospect in the Padre organization. I looked him up a little today, because I was curious about someone named Tagg playing baseball. Real name: Robert Tanios Taggert Bozied . Padres let him go in April 06: "The Padres released Triple-A first baseman Tagg Bozied, who was one of their top power-hitting prospects before he ruptured a knee tendon while celebrating a walk-off grand slam for Portland on July 19, 2004."(By Tom Krasovic UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER). The same article reported this interesting tidbit: "The Padres signed Bozied for about $700,000 after drafting him in 2001; the Padres since haven't drafted an amateur whose legal adviser was agent Scott Boras. Padres chairman John Moores has said that amateurs advised by Boras aren't a great bet for success. "
February 28, 200818 yr Who ever said Maybin can't hit off-speed pitching? He's had like 8 at-bats this spring, and I haven't read anything about him that says he has trouble hitting anything at all.
February 29, 200818 yr Author Who ever said Maybin can't hit off-speed pitching? He's had like 8 at-bats this spring, and I haven't read anything about him that says he has trouble hitting anything at all. Obviously you need to read more.
February 29, 200818 yr Who ever said Maybin can't hit off-speed pitching? He's had like 8 at-bats this spring, and I haven't read anything about him that says he has trouble hitting anything at all. Obviously you need to read more. 2003 awwwww that wasnt fair!
February 29, 200818 yr Thanks for the insight on todays game, must have been alot of fun. The 1st inning was deffinately a little shakey but they kept addings runs after that and that was good. It was good to see Maybin get a couple hits.
February 29, 200818 yr Author 2003, just for the record, it's Jorge Cantu, not Jose. brain freeze :banghead thanks :thumbup
February 29, 200818 yr this is an article from last year on scout.com this kid is basically another Dallas Mcpherson Tagg Bozied has seen the heights. The former University of San Francisco All-American was drafted three times, following high school, in the second round (42nd overall) by the Minnesota Twins after his junior year in 2000 and again in the third round (90th overall) by the San Diego Padres in 2001. After a contentious round of contract negotiations that led to Bozied playing briefly in independent ball, ala J.D. Drew, he joined the Padres system. The big first baseman with the catchy handle was an instant success. The 6-foot-3, 220 pound right hander led the entire Padres? system in home runs (24) and RBI (92) during his debut season of 2002 and that fall he set the Arizona Fall League home run record. The sky was the limit. Bozied was assigned to Triple-A in his second professional season and was ranked the Padres? number four prospect, ahead of some very fine players, including Josh Barfield and Jason Bay. But, Bozied was temporarily blocked at the major league level by established first basemen Ryan Klesko and Phil Nevin. After a so-so 2003, Bozied already had eclipsed that previous season?s home run count, slamming 14 long balls in just his first 46 games of 2004. Then it all came crashing down on the high-contact slugger. While playing for Portland of the Pacific Coast League in July, 2004, Bozied suffered the freakest of freak injuries when he ruptured his patellar tendon in his left knee jumping on home plate to celebrate a game-winning grand slam. At the time, San Diego scouting director Bill Gayton?s comment to our Padres Scout.com affiliate The Mad Friars summed up the situation perfectly. ?He was looking really good and got hurt. It was sad because he would have been in the big leagues." Gayton spoke from deep personal experience, having been the scout who originally signed Bozied. In 2005, Bozied was still the 12th-ranked Padres prospect. But after playing just 26 games that season due to back problems related to his continued knee soreness, his star was shining considerably less brightly. Early in 2006, the Padres unceremoniously cut Bozied loose. Bill Bryk, Padres' minor league field coordinator, expectedly expressed remorse to The Mad Friars. "Bozied, before he got hurt, was the best bat prospect we had at the Triple-A level. Power bat prospect. He hasn't come back fully from that injury. I saw him in the Instructional Leagues and he went to winter ball and unfortunately I don?t think he is back at full strength?,? Bryk observed. From there, Bozied was off to the New York Mets organization, after signing a minor league deal with them in mid-May. The now 27-year-old appeared in just 60 games at the Triple-A level in 2006 as an outfielder before becoming a minor league free agent this past fall. After having been with the Padres for four seasons, Bozied joined his third organization in less than a year when he signed a minor league deal with the St. Louis Cardinals in November. It is clear that Bozied is still pursuing his dreams and does not yet consider himself a minor league journeyman. While he received an invitation to the Cardinals? major league training camp in 2007, he has been that close before. Bozied has yet to take the final step - his big league debut. In the following 11-minute audio interview exclusively for our subscribers, Bozied discusses his outlook, changes in his workout regimen, his health, why he signed with the Cardinals and much more. What he does not do is feel sorry for himself or waste time wondering ?what might have
February 29, 200818 yr Author It's both sad and so all too common to hear this kind of story repeated again and again and again. The guy I saw yesterday looked to have a bagful of tools but at the same time it isn't lost on me he has a long road ahead of him to supplant Jacobs, Sanchez and (to a lesser degree) Gonzalez, even in this organization. I look around baseball and I ask myself even if he sets the world on fire this spring what other major league clubs are legitimately looking for a 28 year old rookie first baseman? But I think he's worth keeping an eye on if for no other reason than "the story", just to see how it ends. I don't know how much playing time he gets before he packs his bag for the minor league camp but he appears to be making the best of what he's given. I'm a sucker for these stories as everyone knows but to me they are what makes spring training special.
February 29, 200818 yr sad story hope hey give the guy a chance, I am sure he could be better then jacobs but imo jacobs is one of the worst 1st baseman in baseball
February 29, 200818 yr sad story hope hey give the guy a chance, I am sure he could be better then jacobs but imo jacobs is one of the worst 1st baseman in baseball Not when he's healthy...
March 1, 200818 yr Who ever said Maybin can't hit off-speed pitching? He's had like 8 at-bats this spring, and I haven't read anything about him that says he has trouble hitting anything at all. Obviously you need to read more. I hadn't read it either. But I did see him Wed night and he was swinging through the off speed stuff. I admit it is waaayyyy too early to pass judgement on his ABs, but he just didn't look like he had that kind of stuff figured out yet. So for the time being I am agreeing with you on this one. And it makes sense. Usually, kids coming up can hit the fast balls, but anything off speed tends to throw them. Add in his stats from last year, although a small sampling, would tend to show proof of this as well. 21 Ks in 49 ABs with just 3 BBs. Presley has some work to do.
March 1, 200818 yr 2003, just for the record, it's Jorge Cantu, not Jose. brain freeze :banghead thanks :thumbup I'm not agreeing with you on this one. Wed night he made a couple nice plays. I have to wonder if the weather/temp had anything to do with it. If the first inning for both teams looked sloppy, maybe it did. Or maybe I'm just making excuses for him because right now he's the one I'm pulling for. Of course I haven't seen Dallas play yet. I'm hoping that happens Monday vs the BoSox. And I have absolutely nothing against Castillo either.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.