Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

WOW...we've allowed 40 runs in 6 games.

Featured Replies

I was just looking at the league stats this morning and we have allowed the most runs by any team in all MLB. With Detroit a close 2nd with 39 and they're 0-6. Obviously we have been blown out a couple of games and that is why stats never tell the whole story. But I am pretty happy that we are 3-3 with the starting pitching we have gotten so far.

 

One thing that has been an issue with this team for the last 4 years or so and seems to be worse this year is that we are prone to Striking out a lot. I do not see us winning many games against Strikeout pitchers (like Santana). We do not have the plate discipline.

 

I started thinking about our lineup back and 03 and we had so many disciplined batters in that lineup. Castillo, Lowell, Pierre, Rodriguez, Cabrera (although he was a strikeout machine but I consider him disciplined because of his ability to hit for AVG), Lee..... ohh those were the days... :)

Yep I saw that myself this morning

 

Runs Scored : 21

Runs Allowed : 40

 

I think once we start to balance out the lineup, then maybe the strikeouts will go down.

The only reason we're 3-3 is because we have played the Pirates for 50% of our games. Just wait until we play more teams that overmatch us...

 

This is going to be a LONG season.

The only reason we're 3-3 is because we have played the Pirates for 50% of our games. Just wait until we play more teams that overmatch us...

 

This is going to be a LONG season.

 

I agree, we'll be longing for our "Salad Days" of 3-3 when in July we are 25-50. Ahhhhh the magic of being a Marlins fan :thumbup

Olsen, Miller, and Nolasco are already on the staff. Anibal, Volstad, G. Hernandez, Mitre in July. Johnson in 2009. And Tucker, Thompson, Sinkbiel, and Trahern directly after them, and West, Correra, Winters, and G. Taylor after them.

 

It is going to be ok. Two or three months, and the SP onslaught begins.

The one thing that needs to be noted is our offense , which I think most will agree will at least be average has under performed. I dont expect the marlins to compete for the playoffs but it is not out of the question for the team to win 72-75 games .

Yep I saw that myself this morning

 

Runs Scored : 21

Runs Allowed : 40

 

I think once we start to balance out the lineup, then maybe the strikeouts will go down.

 

 

Strikeouts are irrelevant. The huge run disparity is due to being creamed in three of the games due to pitching problems. This is no kind of representative sample at all. We lost by 25 runs total in our 3 losses and only won by 6 in our 3 wins. If it were the other way around there would be complaints about how we can't win the 1 run games.

None of these stats are indicative of anything, they aren't informative at all, not yet. I think the team deserves the benefit of a doubt before we start becoming alarmed (or excited) about how they perform.

Yep I saw that myself this morning

 

Runs Scored : 21

Runs Allowed : 40

 

I think once we start to balance out the lineup, then maybe the strikeouts will go down.

 

 

Strikeouts are irrelevant. The huge run disparity is due to being creamed in three of the games due to pitching problems. This is no kind of representative sample at all. We lost by 25 runs total in our 3 losses and only won by 6 in our 3 wins. If it were the other way around there would be complaints about how we can't win the 1 run games.

 

It doesn't matter how many of the runs were scored/given up in our 3 wins, or how many of the runs were scored/given up in our 3 losses. Forget all that, the fact of the matter is we've given up nearly twice as many runs as we've scored, which is never a good thing--and it is something to be rather concerned about, albeit it is the first week of the season. If we continue at that pace, we won't be in very good shape. That is all this thread is about.

The only reason we're 3-3 is because we have played the Pirates for 50% of our games. Just wait until we play more teams that overmatch us...

 

This is going to be a LONG season.

 

 

The same Pirates who beat the Braves 2 out of 3, in the series they played (almost sweeping them)? The same Pirates who are currently tied at 8, after coming back from a 7-0 deficit against the Cubs?

 

Why don't we just play the games, and see what happens? The future is difficult to predict. I'd rather just live in the present...the facts.

Yep I saw that myself this morning

 

Runs Scored : 21

Runs Allowed : 40

 

I think once we start to balance out the lineup, then maybe the strikeouts will go down.

 

 

Strikeouts are irrelevant. The huge run disparity is due to being creamed in three of the games due to pitching problems. This is no kind of representative sample at all. We lost by 25 runs total in our 3 losses and only won by 6 in our 3 wins. If it were the other way around there would be complaints about how we can't win the 1 run games.

 

It doesn't matter how many of the runs were scored/given up in our 3 wins, or how many of the runs were scored/given up in our 3 losses. Forget all that, the fact of the matter is we've given up nearly twice as many runs as we've scored, which is never a good thing--and it is something to be rather concerned about, albeit it is the first week of the season. If we continue at that pace, we won't be in very good shape. That is all this thread is about.

 

 

Tell that to last year's Arizona Diamondbacks. :whistle

The same Pirates who beat the Braves 2 out of 3, in the series they played (almost sweeping them)? The same Pirates who are currently tied at 8, after coming back from a 7-0 deficit against the Cubs?

 

Why don't we just play the games, and see what happens? The future is difficult to predict. I'd rather just live in the present...the facts.

 

:lol

 

Ok let me get this straight. The Pirates are suddenly NOT one of the worst teams in baseball because they beat the Braves 2 out of 3 and because they came back from a 7-0 deficit? I'm sure at one point the expansion Mets team came down from a deficit of 7 runs in a game. Still doesn't change the fact that they were the worst team in baseball history. Your logic doesn't make a whole lot of sense, whatsoever.

 

 

 

Tell that to last year's Arizona Diamondbacks. :whistle

 

The Arizona Diamondbacks scored 712 runs last year. They gave up 732 runs.

 

Is 712 half of 732?

 

The Diamondbacks were outscored last year, that has nothing to do with giving up nearly DOUBLE the amount of runs you score, like the Marlins are doing so far this year.

 

Nice try, though.

The same Pirates who beat the Braves 2 out of 3, in the series they played (almost sweeping them)? The same Pirates who are currently tied at 8, after coming back from a 7-0 deficit against the Cubs?

 

Why don't we just play the games, and see what happens? The future is difficult to predict. I'd rather just live in the present...the facts.

 

:lol

 

Ok let me get this straight. The Pirates are suddenly NOT one of the worst teams in baseball because they beat the Braves 2 out of 3 and because they came back from a 7-0 deficit? I'm sure at one point the expansion Mets team came down from a deficit of 7 runs in a game. Still doesn't change the fact that they were the worst team in baseball history. Your logic doesn't make a whole lot of sense, whatsoever.

 

 

 

Tell that to last year's Arizona Diamondbacks. :whistle

 

The Arizona Diamondbacks scored 712 runs last year. They gave up 732 runs.

 

Is 712 half of 732?

 

The Diamondbacks were outscored last year, that has nothing to do with giving up nearly DOUBLE the amount of runs you score, like the Marlins are doing so far this year.

 

Nice try, though.

 

If we continued at this pace, we'd be historically bad IMO, given how many runs our offense should be able to score... I just think this is a perfect example of SMALL SAMPLE SIZE

None of these stats are indicative of anything, they aren't informative at all, not yet. I think the team deserves the benefit of a doubt before we start becoming alarmed (or excited) about how they perform.

 

Precisely!

If we continued at this pace, we'd be historically bad IMO, given how many runs our offense should be able to score... I just think this is a perfect example of SMALL SAMPLE SIZE

 

Yes, I know it is a very small sample size. All I'm saying is that the pitching better stop sucking or else we're gonna lose a lot of ballgames. We all know the offense will take care of itself.

The same Pirates who beat the Braves 2 out of 3, in the series they played (almost sweeping them)? The same Pirates who are currently tied at 8, after coming back from a 7-0 deficit against the Cubs?

 

Why don't we just play the games, and see what happens? The future is difficult to predict. I'd rather just live in the present...the facts.

 

:lol

 

Ok let me get this straight. The Pirates are suddenly NOT one of the worst teams in baseball because they beat the Braves 2 out of 3 and because they came back from a 7-0 deficit? I'm sure at one point the expansion Mets team came down from a deficit of 7 runs in a game. Still doesn't change the fact that they were the worst team in baseball history. Your logic doesn't make a whole lot of sense, whatsoever.

 

 

 

Tell that to last year's Arizona Diamondbacks. :whistle

 

The Arizona Diamondbacks scored 712 runs last year. They gave up 732 runs.

 

Is 712 half of 732?

 

The Diamondbacks were outscored last year, that has nothing to do with giving up nearly DOUBLE the amount of runs you score, like the Marlins are doing so far this year.

 

Nice try, though.

 

 

Wow...did I ever say the Pirates weren't bad? No. However, I'm not going to AUTOMATICALLY say they are. There's a surprise team in baseball every year. They're 3-3. As I said, I live by the facts.

 

As for "nearly double" that's nice. Fact is, they still had a negative run differential. Did you seriously compare a 6 game sample size to 162? That's not smart. Expect things to even out a bit more. You'd have to be worse than horrendus to get outscored by double, at the end of 162 games.

I'm not a stat-head, but this particular stat is very misleading due to small sample size. I'd like to forget it, but we did get whooped 13-0 by the mutts.

The same Pirates who beat the Braves 2 out of 3, in the series they played (almost sweeping them)? The same Pirates who are currently tied at 8, after coming back from a 7-0 deficit against the Cubs?

 

Why don't we just play the games, and see what happens? The future is difficult to predict. I'd rather just live in the present...the facts.

 

:lol

 

Ok let me get this straight. The Pirates are suddenly NOT one of the worst teams in baseball because they beat the Braves 2 out of 3 and because they came back from a 7-0 deficit? I'm sure at one point the expansion Mets team came down from a deficit of 7 runs in a game. Still doesn't change the fact that they were the worst team in baseball history. Your logic doesn't make a whole lot of sense, whatsoever.

 

 

 

Tell that to last year's Arizona Diamondbacks. :whistle

 

The Arizona Diamondbacks scored 712 runs last year. They gave up 732 runs.

 

Is 712 half of 732?

 

The Diamondbacks were outscored last year, that has nothing to do with giving up nearly DOUBLE the amount of runs you score, like the Marlins are doing so far this year.

 

Nice try, though.

 

 

Wow...did I ever say the Pirates weren't bad? No. However, I'm not going to AUTOMATICALLY say they are. There's a surprise team in baseball every year. They're 3-3. As I said, I live by the facts.

 

As for "nearly double" that's nice. Fact is, they still had a negative run differential. Did you seriously compare a 6 game sample size to 162? That's not smart. Expect things to even out a bit more. You'd have to be worse than horrendus to get outscored by double, at the end of 162 games.

 

Gah.

 

You people...

 

I'm not COMPARING anything. You simply stated "tell that to the Diamondbacks", so I proved you wrong.

 

I know it is a small sample size. Perhaps you missed the part where I said "albeit it is the first week of the season"?

 

Anyway, All I'm trying to say pitching has been horrendous this week and it needs to shape up or it'll be a long season. That's it. Nothing more than that. :thumbup K? Good.

The same Pirates who beat the Braves 2 out of 3, in the series they played (almost sweeping them)? The same Pirates who are currently tied at 8, after coming back from a 7-0 deficit against the Cubs?

 

Why don't we just play the games, and see what happens? The future is difficult to predict. I'd rather just live in the present...the facts.

 

:lol

 

Ok let me get this straight. The Pirates are suddenly NOT one of the worst teams in baseball because they beat the Braves 2 out of 3 and because they came back from a 7-0 deficit? I'm sure at one point the expansion Mets team came down from a deficit of 7 runs in a game. Still doesn't change the fact that they were the worst team in baseball history. Your logic doesn't make a whole lot of sense, whatsoever.

 

 

 

Tell that to last year's Arizona Diamondbacks. :whistle

 

The Arizona Diamondbacks scored 712 runs last year. They gave up 732 runs.

 

Is 712 half of 732?

 

The Diamondbacks were outscored last year, that has nothing to do with giving up nearly DOUBLE the amount of runs you score, like the Marlins are doing so far this year.

 

Nice try, though.

 

 

Wow...did I ever say the Pirates weren't bad? No. However, I'm not going to AUTOMATICALLY say they are. There's a surprise team in baseball every year. They're 3-3. As I said, I live by the facts.

 

As for "nearly double" that's nice. Fact is, they still had a negative run differential. Did you seriously compare a 6 game sample size to 162? That's not smart. Expect things to even out a bit more. You'd have to be worse than horrendus to get outscored by double, at the end of 162 games.

 

Gah.

 

You people...

 

I'm not COMPARING anything. You simply stated "tell that to the Diamondbacks", so I proved you wrong.

 

I know it is a small sample size. Perhaps you missed the part where I said "albeit it is the first week of the season"?

 

Anyway, All I'm trying to say pitching has been horrendous this week and it needs to shape up or it'll be a long season. That's it. Nothing more than that. :thumbup K? Good.

 

 

Gotcha, buddy. :thumbup

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.