June 11, 200818 yr Like i said in my previous post im all for people to have some fun out there when they mammoth shots like that. But if it starts costing the Marlins a single instead of a double ala Manny then ima start getting upset.
June 11, 200818 yr Hanley doesn't really showboat much, and I agree that losing bases because of showboating would be bad. That being said, I would never be upset having Manny Ramirez on my team. Too much is made of his eccentric behavior and not enough about his bat. If Hanley could hit like Manny in his prime, he can act however he likes. If he loses a base once every ten bases, its a base that another SS wouldn't have even had a chance at. We should appreciate him for whomever he becomes because talent is much rarer than sportsmanlike conduct.
June 11, 200818 yr Hanley doesn't really showboat much, and I agree that losing bases because of showboating would be bad. That being said, I would never be upset having Manny Ramirez on my team. Too much is made of his eccentric behavior and not enough about his bat. If Hanley could hit like Manny in his prime, he can act however he likes. If he loses a base once every ten bases, its a base that another SS wouldn't have even had a chance at. We should appreciate him for whomever he becomes because talent is much rarer than sportsmanlike conduct. Yeah, just ask Dontrelle Willis where sportsmanlike conduct has gotten him...
June 11, 200818 yr Disclaimer: A lot if not most MLB players who are very good and hit homeruns showboat. With that out of the way, Hanley is far an away the Marlin's biggest showboater. I love Hanley and he is the best SS in the majors, but his time with Boston is coming out the way hes starting to look like Manny more and more. There's nothing wrong with a little TO and Chad Johnson and I actually like it as long as it doesn't cost the Marlins bases or games. But for you guys to say he doesn't showboat is hilarious. Here is a clip of one of his latest homerun. Watch the FSN replay. http://florida.marlins.mlb.com/team/player...layer_id=434670 Under Multimedia its the 4th link from the top labeled "Ramirez's two-run homer Watch" Now the best part about the clip isnt Hanley's showboating is Tommy Hutton's excitement and then saying Hanley just "took a look". Thats hilarious considering a month or two ago he bashed Yunel Escobar for basically doing the same thing. Gotta love Tommy. I wouldn't call that showboating, yeah he looked at it for a moment but he wasn't showing anyone off by it. actually that was far from showboating
June 11, 200818 yr Hanley doesn't really showboat much, and I agree that losing bases because of showboating would be bad. That being said, I would never be upset having Manny Ramirez on my team. Too much is made of his eccentric behavior and not enough about his bat. If Hanley could hit like Manny in his prime, he can act however he likes. If he loses a base once every ten bases, its a base that another SS wouldn't have even had a chance at. We should appreciate him for whomever he becomes because talent is much rarer than sportsmanlike conduct. If he loses a base every ten bases i'll kill him. :lol
June 11, 200818 yr I don't think its okay for Hanley to do it just because other players do it. And the point is, these guys never really did it much before this year, which is why it seems odd to me. And don't think the Phillies don't notice when Hanley does that stuff. LOL on their message board people were calling for the Phillies to bean Hanley because of it, which is slightly hilarious, but I think we all get annoyed when other players do it against us. More of a practice what you preach sort of thing. I know Hanley didn't appreciate it when the Mets were dancing around the club house last year.
June 11, 200818 yr Oh God...if Johnny Gomes is allowed to flip his bat everytime he hits a HR, Hanley should be able to take a little looksie, when he hits it really far. If you (the pitcher) have a problem with it...get him out. I don't see people complaining when certain pitchers pump their fist after strikeouts. Works both ways. It's not a funeral, it's a baseball game. Players should be allowed to show some emotion. And comparing Hanley to what Escobar did is insane, because Hanley has never done that. I've never even seen Hanley flip his bat.
June 11, 200818 yr I don't think its okay for Hanley to do it just because other players do it. And the point is, these guys never really did it much before this year, which is why it seems odd to me. And don't think the Phillies don't notice when Hanley does that stuff. LOL on their message board people were calling for the Phillies to bean Hanley because of it, which is slightly hilarious, but I think we all get annoyed when other players do it against us. More of a practice what you preach sort of thing. I know Hanley didn't appreciate it when the Mets were dancing around the club house last year. Hanley never did much before this year? He wasn't the best hitting SS in baseball last year? He didn't lead the league in VORP? He wasn't the Rookie of the Year in 2006? Man, I could have sworn Dan Uggla was 2nd amongst HRs last year for 2B. Me might have won the Sporting News and Players Choice Rookie of the Year awards in 2006 though...
June 11, 200818 yr I don't think its okay for Hanley to do it just because other players do it. And the point is, these guys never really did it much before this year, which is why it seems odd to me. And don't think the Phillies don't notice when Hanley does that stuff. LOL on their message board people were calling for the Phillies to bean Hanley because of it, which is slightly hilarious, but I think we all get annoyed when other players do it against us. More of a practice what you preach sort of thing. I know Hanley didn't appreciate it when the Mets were dancing around the club house last year. Hanley never did much before this year? He wasn't the best hitting SS in baseball last year? He didn't lead the league in VORP? He wasn't the Rookie of the Year in 2006? Man, I could have sworn Dan Uggla was 2nd amongst HRs last year for 2B. Me might have won the Sporting News and Players Choice Rookie of the Year awards in 2006 though... He was referring to the "showboating."
June 11, 200818 yr I don't think its okay for Hanley to do it just because other players do it. And the point is, these guys never really did it much before this year, which is why it seems odd to me. And don't think the Phillies don't notice when Hanley does that stuff. LOL on their message board people were calling for the Phillies to bean Hanley because of it, which is slightly hilarious, but I think we all get annoyed when other players do it against us. More of a practice what you preach sort of thing. I know Hanley didn't appreciate it when the Mets were dancing around the club house last year. Hanley never did much before this year? He wasn't the best hitting SS in baseball last year? He didn't lead the league in VORP? He wasn't the Rookie of the Year in 2006? Man, I could have sworn Dan Uggla was 2nd amongst HRs last year for 2B. Me might have won the Sporting News and Players Choice Rookie of the Year awards in 2006 though... He was referring to the "showboating." Oh, sorry. Misunderstanding. As far as that, I also think it's weird they started doing that point thing all of the sudden. They didn't even really start doing it until about May. I get the feeling there is something else behind it, seeing as they all started doing it at the same time.
June 12, 200818 yr is there a stat for getting the ball out of your glove to complete a double-play? I thought it was a pretty tough play. Sure, it's one that he should make, but it's a pressure situation there, and Uggla flipped it slowly. If Hanley gets that out of his glove, I'm not even sure if he gets Utley, who has above average speed. Gregg needs to stop walking batters.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.