August 7, 200818 yr He's cheap but I voted for Loria. I can't believe Wayne got three votes. Ugh. You voted for Wayne three times. Admit it.
August 7, 200818 yr The next one? We can hope... Doubt it. As soon as we have a mediocre season people will be saying he is the worst owner in MLB.
August 7, 200818 yr He's cheap but I voted for Loria. I can't believe Wayne got three votes. Ugh. I voted for Wayne. He's the one who actually brought a franchise here and he did win a world series. John Henry was ..... and Loria is just the laughing stock of the league.
August 7, 200818 yr I'm amazed John Henry received even one vote since it was his ego-driven negotiations that brought the franchise the worst lease in American professional sports. Every time 90% of every parking dollar goes someplace other than the Marlins you Have John Henry to thank. Ditto concessions, club seats, skyboxes, all revenue diverted away from the Marlins because of Henry's handiwork. Thanks to John Henry when for example the Marlins were in the playoffs in 2003 every added seating section cost incrementally more as John henry's lease only covered 40,000 (the number is less I just didn't want to understate it) seats, all the extras must be purchased section by section. The same with concessions. Opening additional concessions where most of the money is filtered away from the Fish in the first place, is a luxury the Marlins have to pay for upfront. It's sort of like buying the rope for your own hanging. And John Henry's claims he'd build a stadium on his own soured the community and the state on eventually participating in financing a permanent home for the team. No one did more damage to this franchise than John Henry, it's undeniable.
August 7, 200818 yr I'm amazed John Henry received even one vote since it was his ego-driven negotiations that brought the franchise the worst lease in American professional sports. Every time 90% of every parking dollar goes someplace other than the Marlins you Have John Henry to thank. Ditto concessions, club seats, skyboxes, all revenue diverted away from the Marlins because of Henry's handiwork. Thanks to John Henry when for example the Marlins were in the playoffs in 2003 every added seating section cost incrementally more as John henry's lease only covered 40,000 (the number is less I just didn't want to understate it) seats, all the extras must be purchased section by section. The same with concessions. Opening additional concessions where most of the money is filtered away from the Fish in the first place, is a luxury the Marlins have to pay for upfront. It's sort of like buying the rope for your own hanging. And John Henry's claims he'd build a stadium on his own soured the community and the state on eventually participating in financing a permanent home for the team. No one did more damage to this franchise than John Henry, it's undeniable. QFT, he brought nothing to this team but false promises. Like was said, Huizenga at least brought baseball to South Florida and was willing to spend at first, and Loria has somehow managed to keep this team in Florida for the past few years even when it looked all but certain they were doomed. Henry used us for nothing more than a stepping stone so he could get the Red Sox. **** John Henry.
August 7, 200818 yr Financially, John Henry definitely did the most damage to this team. PR-wise with the fire-sales and fielding low-salary teams (although all the owners have done the same), I definitely think Wayne takes the cake. Wayne definitely gave us a black eye and started the terrible PR reputation we are now virtually infamous for.
August 7, 200818 yr He's cheap but I voted for Loria. I can't believe Wayne got three votes. Ugh. You voted for Wayne three times. Admit it. he did get the team though, no? isn't that enough to not be completely sh*t on.
August 7, 200818 yr Wayne Huizenga... Brought Baseball here, got a World Series... Loria and Henry... C'mon Henry dont really have anything to say except hardly knew ya... How's those Red Sox... Loria... Cheap bastard... wants our dollars so he can get richer... If Loria died of Gonoria i'd be happy...
August 7, 200818 yr Loria is cheap, but he wants to win, and he wants to stay in South Florida. There is no doubt he cares about this ballclub, even if he refuses to spend. At least he's honest that he's cheap. So I give him a tiny bit of credit. Huizenga was willing to spend, but didn't really ever care about the team that much and was careless, leaving us for dead. He did the most good by bringing baseball here and buying a World Series, but he also did the most damage by not fully committing to the team. So tough call there. Henry gave nothing to this ballclub. He was cheap, lost us money in the process, and never really cared about baseball in South Florida. Selig all but basically promised him that if he would just babysit our franchise for a couple of years, he'd give him the Red Sox. They might as well just let MLB own the team like they did with the Expos, until Loria or another buyer would purchase us. MLB probably would've done less damage than Henry did.
August 7, 200818 yr Should be: Which owner was the biggest liar? 1. Wayne-I am losing too much money! (when he was making money on top of money, just distributing it to all the companies he owned-Concessions, Tv, Stadium holding etc) 2. John-I will build it myself 3. Jeff-(where do you start)
August 7, 200818 yr He's cheap but I voted for Loria. I can't believe Wayne got three votes. Ugh. I voted for Wayne. He's the one who actually brought a franchise here and he did win a world series. John Henry was ..... and Loria is just the laughing stock of the league. Sorry, Wayne is the enemy you have to hate him. Now, when he's gone the way of the dodo I'll give him his props then... maybe. :thumbup
August 7, 200818 yr This is like voting between taking it in the butt, your mouth or the butt again. That said to this point I have to go with Loria, he's the only one who hasn't basically left the franchise for dead (yet). :lol :blink: :o :confused
August 7, 200818 yr I'm amazed John Henry received even one vote since it was his ego-driven negotiations that brought the franchise the worst lease in American professional sports. I think much of the sales and lease terms came from the failed sale between Huizenga and Smiley. Huizenga wanted to shield revenues of the team and take control of cable sports in Florida while keeping some investment in the Marlins' coffers.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.