Some One actually Respects Fredi

08/13/2008 12:49 AM ETCards' La Russa is a Gonzalez fanFlorida (63-57) vs. St. Louis (66-56), Wednesday, 7:10 p.m. ETBy Alden Gonzalez / MLB.comMIAMI -- Ever since he took the job as Marlins manager in 2007, Fredi Gonzalez has received admiration from one of the top skippers in baseball history.

This week, Gonzalez is coaching against him.

Tony La Russa and his Cardinals share Roger Dean Stadium, their Spring Training complex in Jupiter, Fla., with the Marlins. And for the last couple of springs, La Russa -- a two-time World Series champion -- has had a first-hand glimpse of Gonzalez.

Let's just say the 32nd-year manager has been impressed. So much that La Russa invited Gonzalez to be one of his coaches at the All-Star Game in 2007 when former Mets manager Willie Randolph had to undergo shoulder surgery.

This year, La Russa has even more reason to take notice, as Gonzalez has guided the team with the lowest payroll in baseball to a potential playoff berth.

"He paid a lot of dues playing the game, and during the spring, I was able to watch how he conducted Spring Training and stuff like that, and I watch him during games -- I watch a lot of games on TV," La Russa said. "I was telling somebody the other day, that with guys like Fredi and [Nationals manager Manny] Acta, there's some really good young managers in this league."

Not many people picked the Marlins to be where they're at 120 games into the season, but La Russa said that had more to do with analysts not knowing much about the young talent on the Marlins' roster.

"When you have young players, you don't really have track records on them to base any opinion on," La Russa said. "But they have very good talent, and it's no surprise [they have success] because they compete."

Basically, the only statistics that have looked good for the Marlins all year have been their overall record and home-run total. But La Russa, like many others in his profession, isn't swayed solely by numbers. "They have a good rotation, they have good arms in the bullpen, they have good offensive players and a lot of guys on the young side," he said. "Ability-wise, it's a very competitive team. We saw them in Spring Training, and I told Fredi and his staff, 'You do things right, good things will happen.'"

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...sp&c_id=fla

Something i found intresting

It seems alot of people respect him except alot of people on this forum

People are going to complain about just about anyone who is the manager. Fredi is fine. I don't agree with everything he does, but I didn't agree with everything Jim Leyland, Giradri, or even Lachmann did either. People complained about moves that McKeon made and in the end, because they won, none of it mattered. Most managers are interchangeable. If the players are good enough, they win, if not, they don't.

People are going to complain about just about anyone who is the manager. Fredi is fine. I don't agree with everything he does, but I didn't agree with everything Jim Leyland, Giradri, or even Lachmann did either. People complained about moves that McKeon made and in the end, because they won, none of it mattered. Most managers are interchangeable. If the players are good enough, they win, if not, they don't.

This, pretty much x1000

This, pretty much x1000

TImes infinity!

Very nice, and as it has been said most managers are interchangable. I think that Clint Hurdle was definitely a big part of the Rockies season last year, and they wouldnt of had the same success without him.

I gotta give some credit to Girardi for the sucess this team is having as well.

I think the talent on this team has much more to do with the record, than Fredi Gonzalez. Just like last year had much more to do with injuries, than it did with Fredi Gonzalez.

Managers are more important, at times, off the field than they are on it.

I hate to sound like a d-bag, but as far as the moves Fredi makes on the field, I think I could make the same moves, and I think a bunch of people on here could make the same moves, as well. Especially when you have a scouting report, for every opposing hitter.

Fact is, when the Marlins have their starting 5, they can beat anyone on any given night, and that applies to every other team, as well.

Fredi gets too much blame at times, for things that are not his fault.

For example, Fredi got blamed for the fact that the team couldn't bring in a runner from 3rd with 0 outs the other night. That's not Fredi's fault...it's the hitters job to bring that run in. Regardless of where they are spotted in the order, that's fundamental baseball; a hitter in the major leagues should get it done in that situation. It just did not happen...and it's not the first time a team fails doing it, either.

On the other hand, it's funny when Fredi gets the credit, at times. Like for example, Fredi looked brilliant the other night when Amezaga got a key hit in the 7th inning off a lefty in Philadelphia. But was that really brilliant or just fortunate? I'll go fortunate, considering it was a bloop hit, and Amezaga has been TERRIBLE against left-handed pitching in his entire career.

It's just the nature of being a ML manager. You get too much credit when the team wins; you get too much blame when the team loses.

Reality is, the players win / lose games on the field. Very rarely does a manager win / lose a game on the field, due to poor decisions. B/c at the end of the day, it's about a player executing what he is told to do.

I think he has done a good job. I often disagree with his style but I think Fredi deserves consideration for Manager of the Year based on where we are and where we were projected to be. However as we all know EVERYONE has their detractors and their worshippers.

Case in point:

For what? Ensuring that Josh Johnson's arm is fresh by getting him a year off?

Wild Card Hunt! From a team projected to lose 110 games!

And Fredi isn't doing the same thing this year?

Last I checked, Girardi had a healthy starting 5 in '06.

How's Girardi doing now with the Yankee payroll with Wang & Joba hurt? Last I checked...the team's record is below expectations.

Once again...it goes back to the players, and how fortunate you get with injuries throughout the year.

For what? Ensuring that Josh Johnson's arm is fresh by getting him a year off?

Wild Card Hunt! From a team projected to lose 110 games!

Who cares if we were in the "hunt". We finished in 4th place and 6 games below .500. Giradi wasn't that great...

Very nice, and as it has been said most managers are interchangable. I think that Clint Hurdle was definitely a big part of the Rockies season last year, and they wouldnt of had the same success without him.

Funny... I think the Rockies having one of the most ridiculous hot streaks in MLB history had a big part of it... and well, Hurdle didn't play those games, he penciled in the same lineups he did all season...

Sometimes managing is common sense paint-by-numbers...you do "this" in "this" situation and thats that...

But I think the measure of a good manager is in the intangibles, things that we as fans alone will never get to see... you wanna know how good of a manager Fredi really is? Ask the 2007-2008 Florida Marlins...they're the experts...

Clint Hurdle? Someone said he did the same thing all season with the '07 Rockies and they just got hot at the end...anything he did to become a "good" manager was stuff done behind closed doors with however he motivated that bunch...and again, you wanna know if Hurdle's managing really made the '07 Rockies good? Ask the '07 Rockies!

Managing = common sense, step by step procedures

Good Managing = Intangibles

I sometimes disagree with Fredi?s moves and lineups but I?m not at all surprised that La Russa would say this. I think Fredi is respected and well-liked throughout MLB. There are guys that are not so popular who get public criticism or unnamed sources throughout MLB who clearly dislike them but you don?t hear or read any of that with regard to Fredi. Whatever else anyone may think of him as a manager, it?s apparent that he?s quite a decent, ethical guy who treats everyone with respect and gets it in return.

You may disagree about Girardi, did I say give him all the credit? NO!

Did we finish 4th in the N.L. East? Yes.

Did he get fired at the end of the year? Yes.

Did he win NL Manager of the year? Yes he did.

Do I think he handled the pitching staff a bit wrong? Yes, I do.

The way I see it, Hanley, Uggla, Amezaga, Jacobs, and Willingham all had never played over 100 games in a season prior to the 2006 season, and each one of those guys did in the 06 season. Hermida played in 99, which was also the most he had played in. These guys were young, and for most of them it was their first big league manager. I can't say for sure, but I bet if you went into that locker room and asked the guys how they felt about Girardi, Im not sure you would get many negative remarks.

I think he has done a good job. I often disagree with his style but I think Fredi deserves consideration for Manager of the Year based on where we are and where we were projected to be. However as we all know EVERYONE has their detractors and their worshippers.

Case in point:

Now to that, how in the world is giving credit to him "worshipping" him? I didn't say Freddi was a bad manager and had nothing to do with this teams success, I just said I do give some credit to Girardi, even if he was only here a year, he was here for many guys rookie/real first year.