August 27, 200818 yr This guy must be a stud! Always good to put the 40 year old in there, with no arm to play RF, everyday! How exciting! Oh...and today...he's batting 3rd. Yipee... Where is the "future" Jeremy Hermida? I think even Gonzo would tell you he was signed to be a bench player. Is there something I'm missing? I mean...you would think that if we're putting the "veteran presence" over the young guy there everyday...that he'd be hot? Too bad Luis Gonzalez is batting a solid .211, with a .681 .OPS in the 2nd half. Oh yipee, Fredi. Can you at least put him in LF? If you truly want to give the "veteran presence" AB's at least put him at the position where a runner from 1st can't go to 3rd on a single, as if it's stealing candy from a baby.
August 27, 200818 yr Maybe Freddie doesn't know Jeremy is a 2nd half player? Well we know he doesn't know what a split stat is so yeah, this is a good guess.
August 27, 200818 yr yeah lets go with Hermida, because we all know he's been SOOOO Good lately lets put Lo Duca in right, i've heard he's played the outfield before While were at it lets get Conine out of retirement he is better, also lets call up Maybin, who cares about a little spider bite he should suck it up and play through the swelling, he should be able to see 25% of the ball, that is so much better than Gonzo
August 27, 200818 yr Maybe they are telling Hermida that the honeymoon is over and he better show up, or he's going to sit down. I'm all about lighting a fire under Hermida's ass. He should be mountains better than this.
August 27, 200818 yr Maybe Freddie doesn't know Jeremy is a 2nd half player? Maybe Jeremy doesn't know Jeremy is a second half player.
August 28, 200818 yr Maybe Freddie doesn't know Jeremy is a 2nd half player? Maybe Jeremy is trying out for the Dolphins or something.....
August 28, 200818 yr Maybe Freddie doesn't know Jeremy is a 2nd half player? Maybe Jeremy doesn't know Jeremy is a second half player. Maybe Jeremy should start reading the board and then he would know he's a 2nd half player.
August 28, 200818 yr Maybe Freddie doesn't know Jeremy is a 2nd half player? Maybe Jeremy doesn't know Jeremy is a second half player. Maybe Jeremy should start reading the board and then he would know he's a 2nd half player. Maybe Jeremy is overrated and will never be as good as his was suppose to be.
August 28, 200818 yr Maybe Freddie doesn't know Jeremy is a 2nd half player? Maybe Jeremy doesn't know Jeremy is a second half player. Maybe Jeremy should start reading the board and then he would know he's a 2nd half player. Maybe Jeremy is overrated and will never be as good as his was suppose to be. ^Agree^
August 28, 200818 yr Author Maybe Freddie doesn't know Jeremy is a 2nd half player? Maybe Jeremy doesn't know Jeremy is a second half player. Maybe Jeremy should start reading the board and then he would know he's a 2nd half player. Maybe Jeremy is overrated and will never be as good as his was suppose to be. Maybe Jeremy is 24, and develops like Carlos Quentin.
August 28, 200818 yr Author Is there something I'm missing? More than you'll ever know :brigginbounce Really? Here's a Game... Give me a compelling argument right now as to why Luis Gonzalez should be the starting RF'er, without using the words "veteran" or "presence."
August 28, 200818 yr I like games! Who wins in a throwing contest? a) Juan Pierre CF b) Luis Gonzalez RF c) a carrot That almost in and of itself would make me play Hermida.
August 28, 200818 yr Maybe Freddie doesn't know Jeremy is a 2nd half player? Maybe Jeremy doesn't know Jeremy is a second half player. Maybe Jeremy should start reading the board and then he would know he's a 2nd half player. Maybe Jeremy is overrated and will never be as good as his was suppose to be. Maybe Jeremy is 24, and develops like Carlos Quentin. By the time Jeremy reaches that age it wouldn't matter, because the Marlins won't keep him that long if he doesn't produce. They simply cannot afford it.
August 28, 200818 yr Is there something I'm missing? More than you'll ever know :brigginbounce Really? Here's a Game... Give me a compelling argument right now as to why Luis Gonzalez should be the starting RF'er, without using the words "veteran" or "presence." We won.
August 28, 200818 yr Is there something I'm missing? More than you'll ever know :brigginbounce Really? Here's a Game... Give me a compelling argument right now as to why Luis Gonzalez should be the starting RF'er, without using the words "veteran" or "presence." We won. I knew you'd use the hindsight argument 2003, you can do better than that... that's kinda the lazy way out However, I will say that I agree with Lou here in that Jeremy might need a little "break" to light his fire... which is probably counter productive because it seems the coaching staff has been trying to work him out of his game in order to be more aggressive... whereas, maybe just telling him to sit on fastballs instead of breaking balls would help.
August 28, 200818 yr Is there something I'm missing? More than you'll ever know :brigginbounce Really? Here's a Game... Give me a compelling argument right now as to why Luis Gonzalez should be the starting RF'er, without using the words "veteran" or "presence." I'd say a .333 Slug and a .235 in the last 30 days might help explain that. Gonzo's done better then that and that's including his struggles in the last 7 days. The only real thing Hermie has done better for the last 30 days is getting walked more. he has 3 doubles and 1 homerun, while with half as many at bats Gonzo has 4 doubles and a hr, as well as having 10 hits to hermies 19 (remember, hermie has twice as many at bats). It's enough reason to sit Herm down just temperarily. He'll be back out there.
August 28, 200818 yr So you don't like my answer. Big deal. I'm so happy those mind-reading courses are working out for you. Fredi is punishing Jeremy for his lack of commitment to his teammates and to winning. He's saying in effect, we can win with or without you. We can trot this forty year old guy out there who is going to give 110% and you'll be a benchplayer until you're ready to do the same. What so many here seem to ignore, or maybe you haven't learned it yet is that this is a team game, not a nine man team game, a twenty-five man game and Fredi is using all of them the way he and Tosca believe will have the best chance to win the game. Keep second-guessing Fredi from your armchair all you want. It doesn't matter in the slightest.
August 28, 200818 yr So you don't like my answer. Big deal. I'm so happy those mind-reading courses are working out for you. Fredi is punishing Jeremy for his lack of commitment to his teammates and to winning. He's saying in effect, we can win with or without you. We can trot this forty year old guy out there who is going to give 110% and you'll be a benchplayer until you're ready to do the same. What so many here seem to ignore, or maybe you haven't learned it yet is that this is a team game, not a nine man team game, a twenty-five man game and Fredi is using all of them the way he and Tosca believe will have the best chance to win the game. Keep second-guessing Fredi from your armchair all you want. It doesn't matter in the slightest. great post. I have been so annoyed all year of seeing the lack of hustle from Hermida. Yesterday I remember the ball that bounced off the wall, he went lazilelly after the ball, he could've held the runner (forgot who) at second, but instead he made it all the way to third. He ended up being one of the winning runs in that ninth.
August 28, 200818 yr So you don't like my answer. Big deal. I'm so happy those mind-reading courses are working out for you. Fredi is punishing Jeremy for his lack of commitment to his teammates and to winning. He's saying in effect, we can win with or without you. We can trot this forty year old guy out there who is going to give 110% and you'll be a benchplayer until you're ready to do the same. What so many here seem to ignore, or maybe you haven't learned it yet is that this is a team game, not a nine man team game, a twenty-five man game and Fredi is using all of them the way he and Tosca believe will have the best chance to win the game. Keep second-guessing Fredi from your armchair all you want. It doesn't matter in the slightest. I didn't like the answer because you didn't answer the question. Explain why Gonzo should be out there and not Hermida. "We Won" - It has zero influence on a decision made BEFORE the win... That's an outcome, not a process... what's the process behind it, if you'd noticed is that I also agreed that Hermida needs a benching or something to get going again. I answered the question...
August 28, 200818 yr Like I said, you didn't like my answer. I was asked to provide one. I did. And I see you still haven't grasped the concept of "team". Get back to me when you have. In the meantime, get over yourself.
August 28, 200818 yr 2003 is simply saying that Hermida is getting benched because he's not playing as hard as he can. That's something Fredi would know, though hard for us who only watch the game to really conjecture. Its certainly a POSSIBILITY.
August 28, 200818 yr he did answer, ur extremely consumed in ur own ego to read what other people have to say. He answered it by saying that Gonzo will actually hustle, and Hermida needs to watch from the bench to relize if he put in half the effort Gonzo did he would be starting
August 28, 200818 yr Like I said, you didn't like my answer. I was asked to provide one. I did. And I see you still haven't grasped the concept of "team". Get back to me when you have. In the meantime, get over yourself. It's got nothing to do with "getting over myself"... My answer has nothing to do with not grasping a team concept... Why was Hermida benched? Because Hermida has been playing poorly. Benching Hermida gets his poor performance out of the lineup for a period of time. Luis Gonzalez is our extra OFer, he therefore replaces Hermida. Gonzalez isn't a long-term solution... I'm not armchair GMing, I'm stating the obvious... But I say again, you didn't answer the question, you told us what the result of the change, after day one of it, was... that's not answering the question... so I didn't like your answer because... again, you didn't answer it...
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.