Greg Cote has his finger on the pulse of the team.

MillerTime

Greg Cote of the Miami Herald speculates on the new-look 2009 Marlins. If defense is a goal, they could look to acquire Adrian Beltre and try Jorge Cantu at first base. Randy Winn could improve the defense in right.

I don't know where you see Beltre and Winn, but those are horrible ideas.

But Cantu is very good defensively at 1B, and he should play there a lot next year. The should play vs LHP Cantu (3B), G. Sanchez (1B), and vs RHP McPherson (3B) and split time with Cantu and G. Sanchez at first. Team defense would skyrocket, and they wouldn't lose any offense at the corners.

Odds and Ends: LaCava, Colletti, Andruw

By Tim Dierkes [October 1 at 12:00pm CST]Links for Wednesday...

Id like your idea alot better if it was Cantu full time at first base.

The idea of:

RHP - McPherson (3B), Cantu/G.Sanchez (1B)

LHP - Cantu (3B), G. Sanchez (LHP)

is directly connected to their presumed performances. Here is what we know:

Cantu hits LHP very hard (.900+ OPS) in ML

G. Sanchez hits LHP very hard (1.100+ OPS), in AA.

McPherson should not be allowed to play vs LHP despite an ok stats (very slug heavy) in AAA. Will get obliterated at ML level

Cantu hits RHP adequate (high .700 OPS) in ML

G. Sanchez hits RHP adequate (low .800 OPS) in AA, which may or may not work out at ML level

McPherson hits RHP very hard (1.000+ OPS), in AAA.

Cantu is a plus defender at 1B, a poor defender at 3B

G. Sanchez is an above average 1B defender

McPherson has shown neutral/above average ability at 3B.

Putting all of this together:

McPherson is probably the best hitter vs RHP, and the best defender at 3B. McPherson gets 3B vs RHP.

McPherson can't play vs LHP, so Cantu wins by default, but thankfully he destroys them offensively. Cantu gets 3B vs LHP

Following this, G. Sanchez must play vs LHP since McPherson can't, Cantu has 3B, and thankfully again, Gaby has the track record to hit LHP. Gaby gets 1B vs LHP

Which leaves RHP at 1B the last spot. Both can play defense, Cantu has the ML experience, Gaby is one of our better hitting prospects. The Marlins should give Cantu well over half of the plaything time here as he is probably the safer play, but at the same time not abuse Gaby and routinely have him sit on a bench. He needs to play.

This is a lot better situation than "always leaving Cantu at 1B." We need to develop Gaby and McPherson, and this is an opportune way to do it playing them mostly to their strengths. This kind of "platoon" will give Cantu around 550 PA, McPherson 475 PA, and G. Sanchez 375 PA. That is about perfect. I am confident this arrangement will produce more for the ballclub than the 2008 corners.

I'm not a big fan of acquiring talent that we once had; I can't get over the fact that a player's "best years" were not in teal, an that we'd have to pay more for him now t obring him back than he made when he was with us originally. While Winn's put together some solid seasons, if he was good enough to start in right for us, we would have protected him in the expansion draft in 97. While Hermida regressed in a lot of areas this year, defense in my opinion actually improved over last season. Considering he represents a #1 draft pick and lots of (to this point, unrealized) potential, I'm not quite ready to give up on him yet...and I don't believe the Marlins are yet, either. Considering the down year he had, and overall lackluster ML #'s, he should still be affordable through arbitration.

Defense in left, at 1st and second, well those are the areas we need to foucs on.

This article I hope is a joke, because we have ZERO need for Beltre. Why would we need another sh*tty fielder who strikes out a lot?

Randy Winn is a laughable thought. He is old, puts up a crappy average and at this point is as good as having Luis Gonzalez on the team, but would cost more money.

LOL, If this guy is serious, he should never write about baseball again, because obviously he knows zero about the sport and its day to day transactions

This article I hope is a joke, because we have ZERO need for Beltre. Why would we need another sh*tty fielder who strikes out a lot?

Randy Winn is a laughable thought. He is old, puts up a crappy average and at this point is as good as having Luis Gonzalez on the team, but would cost more money.

LOL, If this guy is serious, he should never write about baseball again, because obviously he knows zero about the sport and its day to day transactions

Do you ever have anything nice to say?

never, U can always make a better point for the negative case than u can for the affirmative

never, U can always make a better point for the negative case than u can for the affirmative

Then how can you like a team? Or a sport at that?

U can always love the team, I can always criticize their lack of effort (HERMIDA!!!!!!!!) Or just hate on the owner for not giving a sh*t about the team he owns. I always love to bring up that even though Loria is so hesitant to spend money on this team, before this year started he gave $20 million to get his name on a building at an old art school he attended

U can always love the team, I can always criticize their lack of effort (HERMIDA!!!!!!!!) Or just hate on the owner for not giving a sh*t about the team he owns. I always love to bring up that even though Loria is so hesitant to spend money on this team, before this year started he gave $20 million to get his name on a building at an old art school he attended

I wish I could see you as a Nationals fan on their board. :bangdesk

Hey I love this team. Don't question my fan hood. As a fan, I have a right to criticize any move that is made by the front office, I have also praised them many times for many things they have done. I am one of the few fans that have stayed through all the sh*t this and the past FO has put us through. So I take it as an insult that u do not believe that i am a true fan

As for the Nationals fan comment, if u knew me in the Dark Ages of marlin baseball 2000-2002, u would understand I was one of them. Going to empty stadiums, knowing that the FO didn't give a damn about the team.

Hey I love this team. Don't question my fan hood. As a fan, I have a right to criticize any move that is made by the front office, I have also praised them many times for many things they have done. I am one of the few fans that have stayed through all the sh*t this and the past FO has put us through. So I take it as an insult that u do not believe that i am a true fan

Do I have to go to my room now? :boo-woo

Yes, ur punishment, I am going to make u watch a Mets game, that's right a mets game, and u will have to listen to those crappy Mets announcers, that will teach u to never question my fanhood

I am going to make u watch a Mets game, that's right a mets game,

Heard you the first time.

Wanna start in a pissing contest?