Berardino: Marlins payroll could go up 82%

Lane1974

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/basebal...144,print.story

Marlins' larger payroll doesn't rule out roster changes

By Mike Berardino

South Florida Sun-Sentinel

October 28, 2008

PHILADELPHIA

The Marlins haven't seen their payroll hit $40 million since 2005, the days of Carlos Delgado and Al Leiter.

That could change in 2009.

According to an industry source, the Marlins are telling teams they should have no problem keeping just about all of their 16 remaining arbitration-eligible players. Owner Jeffrey Loria, the source said, has authorized a payroll of up to $40 million, depending on the recommendations of his baseball people.

Such a hefty increase over the $22 million the team spent this year would represent an 82 percent hike. Increased revenue sharing, along with the expectation of a new ballpark as soon as 2011 and the World Series run of the low-budget Rays, have emboldened the Marlins to open their wallet again.

That doesn't mean there won't be significant alterations to the roster that won 84 games and finished third in the NL East this season. But it does mean the Marlins probably won't be in the position of dumping salary for that purpose alone.

Deposed closer Kevin Gregg is readily available, as is power-hitting first baseman Mike Jacobs. Lefty Scott Olsen could be dealt as well due to a surplus in the starting rotation.

While the Marlins and Royals have had serious talks regarding Jacobs, a source that had been briefed on their progress described them as "not close" to fruition. The Mariners and Blue Jays are believed to have expressed interest as well, and the Indians are another possible landing spot for a player coming off a career-best 32 home runs.

In the Royals' case, Triple-A Omaha right-hander Carlos Rosa has been discussed, his 96-mph fastball viewed as a potential setup weapon for young closer Matt Lindstrom. But Rosa was shut down in August with a tender arm, and the Marlins aren't enamored with the rest of the Royals' system.

Former UM standout Gaby Sanchez is the front-runner to replace Jacobs at first. Veterans Jorge Cantu and Wes Helms can play there as well in case Sanchez, the Southern League MVP, falters.

It appears second baseman Dan Uggla will be retained despite a hefty raise in arbitration, and Cody Ross and Alfredo Amezaga also look like solid bets to return even as young Cameron Maybin claims center field.

However, the Marlins are struggling with what to do on the outfield corners.

Right fielder Jeremy Hermida has created a split in the front office, sources say, with some believing it's time to cut bait while others insist the former first-rounder will blossom yet.

In left, Josh Willingham would be a definite keeper if not for his troublesome back.

Late-blooming John Baker is the starting catcher unless a better option comes along.

That could depend on the Rangers' expected pursuit of Olsen, for whom they might be willing to dig into their deep surplus of catchers (Gerald Laird, Jarrod Saltalamacchia).

In the Royals' case, Triple-A Omaha right-hander Carlos Rosa has been discussed, his 96-mph fastball viewed as a potential setup weapon for young closer Matt Lindstrom. But Rosa was shut down in August with a tender arm, and the Marlins aren't enamored with the rest of the Royals' system.

I was exactly right once again

http://www.marlinsbaseball.com/forums/inde...=86172&st=0

I would hang onto Hermida unless they get a great offer for him. We don't have an immediate replacement, short of moving Ross to RF.

Completely agreed. I'd love to keep him hanging around. I wouldn't be actively shopping him, but I'd make sure to let people know he's available for the the right price.

This was reported days before your post so this was just confirming Rosa's name, but if you thought of it independently way to go.

This was reported days before your post so this was just confirming Rosa's name, but if you thought of it independently way to go.

Carlos Rosa's name was not reported days before my post.The article just said a "pitcher".I just figured out who it was.

Carlos Rosa's name was not reported days before my post.The article just said a "pitcher".I just figured out who it was.

Whatever you say man. We wanted Cortes, but got talked down to Rosa and he failed his physical. We knew this days ago. And like I said, if you thought of this independently way to go because that's plucking randomness out of the air and it was a good call.

Isn't it better to have different pitchers between innings to outbalance opposing hitters?

if we were to get a catcher from the rangers i'd rather have teagarden because i see salty as a 1st baseman down the road because of his bad defense behind the plate.

Good. That means we can move Morrison to left field and have Skipworth behind the plate in the future.

That's actually the exact reason I'd rather have Salty.

For the marlins, to get Salty would be like winning the lottery

It would be like a $3 lottery ticket where it's even MORE money. It's like winning the powerball, IN EUROS.

I have been pro-Salty since he entered the draft. Was initially heartbroken when the Braves traded him to Texas. But then realized it gave us a better opportunity to get him in a trade because of their depth at that position.

Come on trade time.

For the marlins, to get Salty would be like winning the lottery

It would be like a $3 lottery ticket where it's even MORE money. It's like winning the powerball, IN EUROS.

I have been pro-Salty since he entered the draft. Was initially heartbroken when the Braves traded him to Texas. But then realized it gave us a better opportunity to get him in a trade because of their depth at that position.

Come on trade time.

Been a fan since he played against my brother one summer.

I wasn't the biggest fan of Volstad when he beat my brother for Sun-Sentinel Player of the Year in 2005, but he still made All-State and 1st Team, so it was all good haha.

Sweet. Now we will probably re-sign Uggla, Cantu, Nolasco, JJ, Amazing Amezaga, Cody, and other great players worth keeping, as well as possibly add some new little pieces here and there and we will be a great team next year. Think of it this way, ESPN even says that we will be a tough team next year, and when they actually LOOK AT US you know we gonna be nasty next year. I can't wait to watch my Marlins dominate in 09 with most of the same faces.