Bonifacio's role?

After hearing about this trade, I really am left wondering what the FO obtained him for. There are only so many options I can think of.

The obvious one is that the team will be shopping Uggla and doesn't think Coghlan is ready yet. I don't like this idea (as I imagine most on here don't), and it would definately seem extremely counter-productive, so I'll assume this isn't the case, and entertain other options.

Perhaps Bonifacio is meant to be a bench IF? While he might present a minor upgrade over Robert Andino (and I stress minor, seeing as Bonifacio's career minor league OPS is like 703), we already expect to have Amezaga backing up the middle IF and Helms backing up the corner spots. Unless Amezaga is expected to be more used primarily as a 4th or 5th OF, it seems unlikely.

Bonifacio did start his few MLB games before going to DC (in Arizona) playing corner OF, and he played OF a little bit last year in the minors as well. Perhaps the FO would like to try him out as an option in LF, conceivably to emphasize defense (I guess).

Probably least likely is that maybe there is some possibly larger shift in mind, perhaps in the IF. Bonifacio does have some experience playing SS, and if the team isn't happy with the current options at 3B, maybe they would move Hanley over sooner and slide in Bonifacio or someone along those lines to fill in at SS alongside Uggla at 2B.

One last option is that the team has no intention of holding onto Bonifacio and that he will be flipped quickly in another trade. This one kinda makes sense, but as today is any indication, no one in the world has any clue what the Marlins FO will do next.

Anyone have any other thoughts?

Cantu would no longer be with the team in that scenario.

It might interesting to watch where Cantu plays this off-season in the Mexican League. I've wondered before if he wouldn't make a good left fielder? He's got good range, is really a "smart" ballplayer, could probably pick it up quickly if they went in that direction - it all depends I suppose on McPherson and Sanchez and what kinds of spring they have.

just idle speculation.

It might interesting to watch where Cantu plays this off-season in the Mexican League. I've wondered before if he wouldn't make a good left fielder? He's got good range, is really a "smart" ballplayer, could probably pick it up quickly if they went in that direction - it all depends I suppose on McPherson and Sanchez and what kinds of spring they have.

just idle speculation.

Interesting. Cantu's versatility protects him to some extent. I'd like to see him back next year.

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_baseb...-hammer-go.html

What about Dan Uggla and his $5 million projection? Juan Rodriguez was assured again Monday night -- as I have been recently -- that the Marlins have made it clear Uggla stays into next season.

Whether he makes it past next July is another matter.

For now, look for Bonifacio to be sent down to Triple-A for a little more seasoning as the speedy switch-hitter in the Luis Castillo mode tries to get his bat going. His career big-league OBP in 192 at-bats over 60 games is just .300.

just idle speculation.

He certainly has the arm for left field-but I am glad that I sit behind the screen given his propensity to air mail.

I think Sampson is blowing smoke up our asses. I honestly believe this is setting up a trade of Uggla.

That's really not a problem though, assuming you get a legitimate package back (i.e., Bumgarner). Dan is really good and we could never replace the slugging, but it's likely Coghlan emerges as a good 2B and Bonifacio as another super utility guy like Amezaga to cover the position. If an ace pitching prospect, or whatever, is what Dan turns into, it's not a bad direction. Uggla isn't a cornerstone like Hanley, Maybin, or Volstad.

C John Baker (Rabelo)

1B Gaby Sanchez (McPherson, Helms)

2B Chris Coghlan / Emilio Bonifacio (Amezaga)

3B Jorge Cantu (McPherson, Helms)

SS Hanley Ramirez (Amezaga, Bonifacio)

RF Jeremy Hermida (Ross, Maybin)

CF Cameron Maybin (Ross, Amezaga)

LF Cody Ross ( McPherson/Cantu, Bonifacio)

B Dallas McPherson

B Wes Helms

B Alfredo Amezaga

B Emilio Bonifacio

B Mike Rabelo

More than adequate offensive team here. The only problem is the lack of a 4th power option in the outfield, but if McDallas or Cantu is able to sit in LF and slug a bit for minor stretches of time (I don't find this ideal, but I also don't find it incredibly unlikely situationally for short periods of time), and then we use Amezaga/Bonifacio as the 5th outfielder, we don't really have problems. Also, you'd hope to upgrade Rabelo somewhere throughout this process, but that's a minor issue that can be addressed. With the expected rotation and pen, this team is $31.5 million

However, I find CANTU being traded much more likely. With all the talk of Bonifacio going to 3B, and Uggla being (in general) a better player than Cantu, this seems more likely to me:

C John Baker (Rabelo)

1B Gaby Sanchez ("1B/OF", Helms)

2B Dan Uggla (Bonifacio, Amezaga)

3B Dallas McPherson / Emilio Bonifacio (Helms)

LF Cody Ross ("1B/OF", Bonifacio)

B Wes Helms

B Alfredo Amezaga

B Emilio Bonifacio

B ?1B/OF?

B Mike Rabelo

I like this team a lot better. 3B is iffy, but those three could probably hold it down. McPherson can play against most RHP, Helms gets all the LHP, and Bonifacio can play during McPherson slumps and defense late in the game. A big difference of this team is having a more legitimate 4th outfielder, which is very important to this club. We don't have any internal candidates for this in AAA, so we'd have to trade for one or hit FA. Same issue with Rabelo as well. I also like Coghlan in AAA for another year. He could probably make the jump, but it wouldn't hurt. This team costs around $31 million without the "1B/OF," so depending on FA versus trade for youth on that, would dictate the salary.

Not that you are freaking out, but I see the board FREAKING out with the loss of these 'name' players for complimentary pieces, but the team can sustain 1 more loss and be fine for 25 man roster purposes. Would keeping Cantu and Uggla make this team better? Absolutely, but if the payroll is $30-35, and not "$35," we simply can't afford both of those two around.

I'm interested in seeing what we get for Gregg, Cantu/Uggla, and seeing if we are able to pawn off Andino and 2 of Cruz, Kensing, Delgado, and Meyer, so we don't have multiple DFAs.

I think Sampson is blowing smoke up our asses. I honestly believe this is setting up a trade of Uggla.

That's really not a problem though, assuming you get a legitimate package back (i.e., Bumgarner). Dan is really good and we could never replace the slugging, but it's likely Coghlan emerges as a good 2B and Bonifacio as another super utility guy like Amezaga to cover the position. If an ace pitching prospect, or whatever, is what Dan turns into, it's not a bad direction. Uggla isn't a cornerstone like Hanley, Maybin, or Volstad.

C John Baker (Rabelo)

1B Gaby Sanchez (McPherson, Helms)

2B Chris Coghlan / Emilio Bonifacio (Amezaga)

3B Jorge Cantu (McPherson, Helms)

LF Cody Ross ( McPherson/Cantu, Bonifacio)

B Dallas McPherson

B Wes Helms

B Alfredo Amezaga

B Emilio Bonifacio

B Mike Rabelo

More than adequate offensive team here. The only problem is the lack of a 4th power option in the outfield, but if McDallas or Cantu is able to sit in LF and slug a bit for minor stretches of time (I don't find this ideal, but I also don't find it incredibly unlikely situationally for short periods of time), and then we use Amezaga/Bonifacio as the 5th outfielder, we don't really have problems. Also, you'd hope to upgrade Rabelo somewhere throughout this process, but that's a minor issue that can be addressed. With the expected rotation and pen, this team is $31.5 million

However, I find CANTU being traded much more likely. With all the talk of Bonifacio going to 3B, and Uggla being (in general) a better player than Cantu, this seems more likely to me:

C John Baker (Rabelo)

1B Gaby Sanchez ("1B/OF", Helms)

2B Dan Uggla (Bonifacio, Amezaga)

3B Dallas McPherson / Emilio Bonifacio (Helms)

LF Cody Ross ("1B/OF", Bonifacio)

B Wes Helms

B Alfredo Amezaga

B Emilio Bonifacio

B “1B/OF�

B Mike Rabelo

I like this team a lot better. 3B is iffy, but those three could probably hold it down. McPherson can play against most RHP, Helms gets all the LHP, and Bonifacio can play during McPherson slumps and defense late in the game. A big difference of this team is having a more legitimate 4th outfielder, which is very important to this club. We don't have any internal candidates for this in AAA, so we'd have to trade for one or hit FA. Same issue with Rabelo as well. I also like Coghlan in AAA for another year. He could probably make the jump, but it wouldn't hurt. This team costs around $31 million without the "1B/OF," so depending on FA versus trade for youth on that, would dictate the salary.

Not that you are freaking out, but I see the board FREAKING out with the loss of these 'name' players for complimentary pieces, but the team can sustain 1 more loss and be fine for 25 man roster purposes. Would keeping Cantu and Uggla make this team better? Absolutely, but if the payroll is $30-35, and not "$35," we simply can't afford both of those two around.

I'm interested in seeing what we get for Gregg, Cantu/Uggla, and seeing if we are able to pawn off Andino and 2 of Cruz, Kensing, Delgado, and Meyer, so we don't have multiple DFAs.

Oh trust me, I don't think trading Uggla is the end of the world, as long as we get back some MLB ready players. I agree with the FO in regards to reverting back to the '03 days. I just don't see Bonifaco as a legitimate option at 3B. And if we got him to merely be a role player, well then this trade stinks. I was actually thinking maybe the Rockies would be involved with a Uggla trade. We take Tavarez and Ianetta or Torrealba and a prospect for Uggla. Tavarez moves to LF giving us crazy speed in the OF with Maybin. Now if we move Tavarez to the 8 hole, he looks like a decent hitter. As a lead-off guy, he doesn't cut it. But with Boni, Maybin, and Tavarez in the order, this team could steal over 200 bases

Oh trust me, I don't think trading Uggla is the end of the world, as long as we get back some MLB ready players. I agree with the FO in regards to reverting back to the '03 days. I just don't see Bonifaco as a legitimate option at 3B. And if we got him to merely be a role player, well then this trade stinks. I was actually thinking maybe the Rockies would be involved with a Uggla trade. We take Tavarez and Ianetta or Torrealba and a prospect for Uggla. Tavarez moves to LF giving us crazy speed in the OF with Maybin. Now if we move Tavarez to the 8 hole, he looks like a decent hitter. As a lead-off guy, he doesn't cut it. But with Boni, Maybin, and Tavarez in the order, this team could steal over 200 bases

Oh boy.

Tavarez is an even worse Bonifacio, because he's in 2nd year arbitration and going to make a lot more money than he deserves. We also have 3 internal options for the OF all way better than him, making him purely a backup with no chance to ever start. Torreabla is also terrible, and has a multi year contract. Ianetta is cool though. Regardless, this would be a worse case scenario and far worse than the Olsen/Hammer deal. I can legitimately see those two having marginal value in some scenarios, but Uggla is not a player that is dumped even if you can't afford him. Teams will be lining up. We'd be the laughing stock of baseball if we traded Uggla for a Taveras package.

If we trade Uggla, the first player I better hear is "Bumgarner or Aldersen" from SF, "Huff" from Clev, of "Rasmus" from St. Louis. We don't need MLB talent. We have a pretty legit 25 man roster as is. We need a legitimate "A" prospect with above average/star potential.

Speaking of putting Bonifacio at 3rd:

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/basebal...0,3688889.story

Bonifacio wary of third

By Juan C. Rodriguez |South Florida Sun-Sentinel

Emilio Bonifacio received a call from Dominican countryman Hanley Ramirez on Tuesday welcoming him to the Marlins.

They may be in the same organization, but whether they're part of the same infield remains to be seen.

During his six-year pro career in the United States, Bonifacio hasn't played so much as an inning at third base. That will change if he makes the 25-man roster.

The Marlins have asked Bonifacio to start taking groundballs at third. Playing for Licey in the Dominican winter league, Bonifacio is unsure whether the club will facilitate him testing the waters. While the Marlins have every confidence in a successful transition, Bonifacio has no illusions about what the move entails.

The throws are different. The reaction time is different. At second, Bonifacio didn't have to worry as much about charging bunts and dribblers. The biggest adjustment may be the angle. Unlike middle infielders, third basemen don't have the benefit of seeing the catcher's signs.

"In reality, I can't say comfortable because I've never played there," Bonifacio said. "I don't think it'll be easy. Time will tell if I adapt well to it, but I think so. [second base] is my natural position."

Any move may only be temporary. If Dan Uggla puts together another 30-homer season, Bonifacio could be the everyday second baseman in 2010. The Marlins appear ready to absorb the 12- to 15-fold pay increase Uggla will command through arbitration this year. The mark-up beyond 2009 might prove too high.

Meanwhile, Bonifacio won't be arbitration-eligible until after 2011.

"I was happy [about the trade]," Bonifacio said. "I'll be closer to home and it's a team where I'll have more opportunity."

Bonifacio wasn't guaranteed a starting job with the Nationals either. Anderson Hernandez and Alberto Gonzalez both would have pushed him for playing time.

For the switch-hitting Bonifacio, 23, cementing his standing as a major-leaguer will require improving his average from the right side, getting on base more, and making the most of his speed. Last season, he went 7 for 43 (.163) as a right-handed hitter, prompting the Nationals to debate whether he should bag that side altogether.

The Marlins are considering no such scenario.

"We're going to work with the bunting and putting the ball in play," said President of Baseball Operations Admin Beinfest, who likened Bonifacio to Luis Castillo. "All reports on the switch hitting are fine. … Everything we've seen in the minor leagues and briefly in the major leagues lead us to believe he'll be a successful top-of-the-order type of energizer."

Bonifacio's numbers for Licey this winter have been impressive. Through 21 games, he was batting .337 (28 for 83) with a .455 on-base percentage, due in part to 17 walks and 10 strikeouts.

"I'm still young and have a lot of work to do," Bonifacio said. "I have to keep working from the right side. Last year I didn't have good results, but I have confidence in myself and think things will change next season."

Beinfest has said (paraphrasing):

A) EB fits the kind of player they want to move towards to a "T"

B) EB is ML ready.

C) EB should be an everyday player.

Just don't see why we'd move him to 3rd. If anything, move Uggla there, because EB's D is better than Uggla's at 2nd and Uggla has at least played some 3rd. But I really think Uggla is out.