Rule 5 draft

Were they minor league Rule V picks or were they actual Rule V picks that stuck with the team the whole year? I'm not quite sure how that works.. do you have to stay with the team the entire season? I always forget.

You have to be on the 25 man roster the whole year. You can be DL'd, but must be reinstated on the MLB roster when you get healthy.

Rule 5 is the last day of the Winter Meetings, and while every team has players exposed on it, not all teams draft, either because of no one they are interested in or anticipated roster issues, or for other reasons.

Rule 5 has both a major league component and a minor league one as well. It's alway an interesting event and this year, because of a change in the CBA a few years back there's supposed to be a good number of talented players available.

Rule 5 is the last day of the Winter Meetings, and while every team has players exposed on it, not all teams draft, either because of no one they are interested in or anticipated roster issues, or for other reasons.

Rule 5 has both a major league component and a minor league one as well. It's alway an interesting event and this year, because of a change in the CBA a few years back there's supposed to be a good number of talented players available.

I think the changes in CBA helped clubs retain their talent longer by giving teams 5 years, instead of 4, to protect high school (17 and 18 year olds) drafted. It remains 4 for 19+ or college players. Are you referring to another provision? I'm not aware of any changes in the minor league phase that would make more players eligible to be drafted?

It also costs money in order to draft a player, so if you have no faith in any of the players available (or you know that they won't break camp), it's counterproductive to atleast "try" because you'll still end up losing money. Just want to clarify if somebody reads your post and thinks "well they should atleast try, worse case scenerio is they're back where they started from." You do make half of it back though if the team you drafted from takes the pick back (IIRC it's 100k and 50k), and if the team doesn't want the player back you get to keep him.

I think the changes in CBA helped clubs retain their talent longer by giving teams 5 years, instead of 4, to protect high school (17 and 18 year olds) drafted. It remains 4 for 19+ or college players. Are you referring to another provision? I'm not aware of any changes in the minor league phase that would make more players eligible to be drafted?

Lou, I believe this is the year that rule change catches up with itself and you have figuratively two classes graduating (or being exposed to the draft) simultaneously.

• 5 weeks later...

Does anyone know when the rule V draft starts? This seems like a place where the FO can get some kind of impact player...

It starts at 12:00pm u can track it on MLB.com

Nice article about the draft and some players of interest on MLB.com as well

We all are well aware of 2 years ago the Reds snatched Hamilton just before the Marlins turn by way of trade. How many remember Joakim Soria was also selected that day?

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...8&fext=.jsp

We Took Zachary Kroneke LHP from New York Yankees from AAA

He was 7-0, 2.85 ERA in 41 relief appearances with 28 BB, 54 K's last season between AA and AAA.

Those are some nice numbers. Batters hit just .190 off of him.

Zach Kroenke, LHP, Yankees: The 2005 fifth-rounder out of the University of Nebraska made it up to Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre in 2008, combining for a 2.85 ERA and a .190 batting average against across two levels.