Could the Marlins be setting up for something... Bigger?

Wild Card

Thinking about the Washington trade, I got to wondering how this could all potentially work itself out. My wondering mind got me to this idea...

With the notion of Logan Morrison moving to left field (and possibly being major-league ready quite soon), Bonifacio now comes into the picture at second base.

I think certain things need to come into play here (with the time frame of these moves coming between mid-'09 and next off-season), but I think this may be a legitimate theory for the direction of this franchise:

*Dan Uggla is moved. Bonifacio takes the helm at second base.

*Jorge Cantu is moved. Gaby Sanchez takes the full-time helm at first base.

*Cody Ross is moved. Logan Morrison takes the helm in left field.

These are all quite reasonable ideas. This is where it gets tricky.

*Jeremy Hermida is moved.

Who is the replacement here? You've got to think Stanton is too far away for this. My guess is, with Bonifacio's acquisition and Coghlan's infield woes, this could certainly be the way to go. This, unless the Marlins move him back to third base. Which is why it starts to get tricky... Do you move a well below average infielder to the outfield until Stanton is ready (which could be two years), or do you put him at third base?

Not quite sure where I'm headed with all of this... so pick and choose discussion.

Coghlan is not a "well below average" infielder. Common misperception(sp?).

Are you kidding me?

There's hope he can one day be average. But right now, he can't even be considered a major league talent with his defense where it's at.

You're basing this on..........?

(please tell me it's because you saw him play, please tell me that)

Unless my memory is really bad, I believe Coghlan had about double the number of errors Dan Uggla had last season, and that even with the shorter minor league season. I would certainly say that it is at least cause for concern, especially since even considering that in comparing him to Dan Uggla it's not like we're putting him up next to a Gold Glover or anything amazing like that.

Oh yeah, and I think all of this is a terrible idea. The only thing bigger that this kind of a shift would represent is a bigger mistake. Pull crap like this and this team might actually turn out as bad as we were expected to be last season.

What you are implying is called a firesale.

You could call it that.

Or you could call it player development reaching its peak.

I prefer the latter.

We're shoving out players left and right and sure, some of them have replacements, but what are we gonna do when one of our starting pitchers gets hurt or tanks?

Some of the prospects we are moving guys for are just average. Do you think other teams would trade players just to open up a spot for Gaby Sanchez?

What you are implying is called a firesale.

You could call it that.

Or you could call it player development reaching its peak.

I prefer the latter.

We're shoving out players left and right and sure, some of them have replacements, but what are we gonna do when one of our starting pitchers gets hurt or tanks?

Some of the prospects we are moving guys for are just average. Do you think other teams would trade players just to open up a spot for Gaby Sanchez?

First of all, not some of our guys have replacements. ALL of them do. Second, when we trade those guys we're moving, we can RECEIVE pitching in return.

And some of the prospects that we're replacing these guys we're moving are just average? Did you ever stop to realize that most of the guys we're MOVING are ALSO very average?

Are you kidding me?

There's hope he can one day be average. But right now, he can't even be considered a major league talent with his defense where it's at.

John Sickels:

He converted to second base in '07, and made a reasonably smooth adjustment defensively. The glove won't be a problem at higher levels and in the bigs.

BA Handbook:

After playing mostly third base in college, Coghlan adapted well to second. He has improved his pivot and footwork around the bag, and his aptitude and work habits are excellent. He has an average arm for a third baseman, but above for a second bagger.

Chris Coghlan had 18 errors in 117 games at second base this season. And five errors in ten games at third base isn't promising for another infield position change... His minor league fielding percentage is .890 at third base.

Emilio Bonifacio, who by all accounts is a GOD defensively managed 10 errors in 85 games. So that's about 14 in 117 games.

OMG.

UGGLA is not going to be moved!! look at beinfests comments and neither is cantu.....we can afford all those guys....damn just stop talking and wait and see what happens

If you actually read the post, it says that these moves could be potentially between the middle of the upcoming season or entering the 2010 season.

Maybe its just me, but id rather ship out Hermida's soft ass than Cody's. Cody needs to start at a corner spot next year.

As for all that critical acclaim of Coghlan's glove work - I guess if they say it, it must be true and the numbers are lying.

:thumbup

The truth is, he hasn't been good at any infield position in his professional baseball career. If moving him to the outfield puts him on the fast track to the major leagues, what's the harm? I don't think this organization sees him as a second baseman in the future, and the addition of Bonifacio proves that.

Maybe its just me, but id rather ship out Hermida's soft ass than Cody's. Cody needs to start at a corner spot next year.

As for all that critical acclaim of Coghlan's glove work - I guess if they say it, it must be true and the numbers are lying.

The truth is, he hasn't been good at any infield position in his professional baseball career. If moving him to the outfield puts him on the fast track to the major leagues, what's the harm? I don't think this organization sees him as a second baseman in the future, and the addition of Bonifacio proves that.

I'm fine with that. I just think that trading Uggla at this point is crazy.

First of all, not some of our guys have replacements. ALL of them do. Second, when we trade those guys we're moving, we can RECEIVE pitching in return.

And some of the prospects that we're replacing these guys we're moving are just average? Did you ever stop to realize that most of the guys we're MOVING are ALSO very average?

Why is "receive" capitalized? lol.

Olsen ( expendable, not very effective and a nut case)and Willingham ( serious doubts about his back problems, slow runner and below average fielder) were moved because they did not fit the future of the team and the Marlins didn't want to pay their growing salary. Period.

The Marlins were shopping these guys around for a while. Bonifacio was probably the best the team could get. I don't think they necessarily have been targeting him.

Lets see what Beinfest can get for Gregg. He blew 9 saves last year and had recent knee surgery so we probably won't get much in return, unless we can blame the bad knee for his problems.

After that, it is all a guessing game.

Will Hermida or Treanor be traded and what kind of return could we expect for these guys?

Should Hermida get another year to finally break though?

How about Uggla? Is his power worth putting up with the strikeouts and lack of timely hitting and significantly rising salary?Would a power starved team give us a significant defensive player whose salary is more acceptable to the Marlins' pocketbook?

The spring training performance by our many rookies will no doubt determine some of the future moves as well.

So lets sit tight and let Beinfest try to work his magic again.

Unless my memory is really bad, I believe Coghlan had about double the number of errors Dan Uggla had last season, and that even with the shorter minor league season. I would certainly say that it is at least cause for concern, especially since even considering that in comparing him to Dan Uggla it's not like we're putting him up next to a Gold Glover or anything amazing like that.

Oh yeah, and I think all of this is a terrible idea. The only thing bigger that this kind of a shift would represent is a bigger mistake. Pull crap like this and this team might actually turn out as bad as we were expected to be last season.

What is your sig suppose to mean?

If we're lucky, Bonifacio will become something close to Amezaga. He is not starting material. The only thing his aquisition indicates is that its unlikely that Alfredo will be back after 2009. Considering Alfredo will be thirty-two and in line to make around 1.5 mil in 2010, the Marlins probably see a younger, faster, cheaper replacement in Bonifacio. I highly doubt his addition to the team will have much of an impact on the organization's future plans for Coghlan, whatever those may be.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.