Hermida

Marlins Phenom

Pick the Cubs Beinfest. :thumbup :mischief

this, we have great luck at ripping off the cubs, the rays will actually try and get the best trade possible :mischief

Yeah...we got Nolasco, Pinto and Mitre for Pierre.

We ended up getting some really good years from Dontrelle for nothing.

Oh...and then there was that time we traded Derrek Lee for Hee Seop Choi...that one worked out well, too. Oh wait :|

It works both ways.

Regardless of the organization...you win some, you lose some. And I think we've learned that this offseason. Regardless of who you are, it doesn't take a genius to know the players who played for us last year, and to read up scouting reports / milb stats from players we got in return. It's not difficult to see that the Jacobs for Nunez trade was solid, the Gregg for Ceda trade might just be a steal for us, and that the trade to the Nats wasn't good.

I just hope we get a lot more for Hermida than we did from Washington.

IMO, Hermida should have more value than Gregg, Olsen...and definitely Hammer and Jacobs.

1. No

2. The only way I'll accept such a move is if we get a solid prospect in the deal...and then sign Barry Bonds, as his (Hermida's) replacement in 2009.

1. It's not up to you, it's up to the Marlins front office.

2. Why would you even consider Barry Bonds? Out of baseball for a year, lousy defense, and his bat is not even for certain anymore, pitchers are going to have a field day striking him out, Barry - steroids= done.

this, we have great luck at ripping off the cubs, the rays will actually try and get the best trade possible :mischief

Oh...and then there was that time we traded Derrek Lee for Hee Seop Choi...that one worked out well, too. Oh wait :|

It works both ways.

Regardless of the organization...you win some, you lose some. And I think we've learned that this offseason. Regardless of who you are, it doesn't take a genius to know the players who played for us last year, and to read up scouting reports / milb stats from players we got in return. It's not difficult to see that the Jacobs for Nunez trade was solid, the Gregg for Ceda trade might just be a steal for us, and that the trade to the Nats wasn't good.

IMO, Hermida should have more value than Gregg, Olsen...and definitely Hammer and Jacobs.

Nolasco and Pinto are still with the team, Ricky has done great for us, while Mitre was the best pitcher we had in 2007, what has Pierre done lately but suck the life out of the Dodgers payroll? Hee Seop Choi was a TOP POWER HITTING prospect in the Cubs organization, not our fault he became a bust, are you posting for the sake of just posting, or are you seriously putting out this gibberish?

1. No

2. The only way I'll accept such a move is if we get a solid prospect in the deal...and then sign Barry Bonds, as his (Hermida's) replacement in 2009.

1. It's not up to you, it's up to the Marlins front office.

2. Why would you even consider Barry Bonds? Out of baseball for a year, lousy defense, and his bat is not even for certain anymore, pitchers are going to have a field day striking him out, Barry - steroids= done.

1. The Marlins front office would be stupid to do so.

2. Why not Barry Bonds? Lets see...an .OPS over 1.000 the year before last (I'm sure he's forgotten how to hit, though :rolleyes: ) + we can get him for league minimum. "Barry - steroids=done?" Newsflash...it takes a lot more than steroids to be a major league hitter. There's a reason why the other bums who took 'roids aren't half as good as Bonds. He's a hitter, period. I'm not about to answer "defense" considering this board has a lovefest for guys like Manny and Griffey...the hypocrisy is amazing. Mike Jacobs is gone, we have an actual CF'er, and we have a guy who did solid in CF last year, moving to a corner OF spot. Our defense is already much improved. Barry Bonds is better than any hitter the Marlins have not named Hanley Ramirez...and with the protection of Bonds, one could infer that Hanley Ramirez would instantly become one of the favorites to win the MVP award.

It works both ways.

Nolasco and Pinto are still with the team, Ricky has done great for us, while Mitre was the best pitcher we had in 2007, what has Pierre done lately but suck the life out of the Dodgers payroll? Hee Seop Choi was a TOP POWER HITTING prospect in the Cubs organization, not our fault he became a bust, are you posting for the sake of just posting, or are you seriously putting out this gibberish?

He was showing that it goes both ways. Did you notice that the first two trades that he posted are in the same paragraph and both worked out well for us? And then the 3rd trade is in it's separate paragraph and ended up a sh*t sandwich? You completely missed the point.

It works both ways.

Is reading & comprehension a flaw for you?

I said that the Nolasco/Pinto/Mitre for Pierre trade and the Dontrelle Willis trade worked out in our favor.

I was making a point to the people who think we rob the Cubs in every deal we make with them. That's why I used the Derrek Lee example.

I liked Hee Soup Choi :|

I like soup too. :|

so do I, I also like Hee Seop Choi.

Fact remains, Derrek Lee is a lot better. And considering the Marlins weren't exactly dumping players at the time...it was not a good trade, by any means.

Yes they were. There were several teams who just sat back and was waiting for us to DFA Lee since we weren't going to be able to afford him.

I liked Hee Soup Choi :|

I like soup too. :|

so do I, I also like Hee Seop Choi.

Fact remains, Derrek Lee is a lot better. And considering the Marlins weren't exactly dumping players at the time...it was not a good trade, by any means.

Yes they were. There were several teams who just sat back and was waiting for us to DFA Lee since we weren't going to be able to afford him.

Lee was the only player they let go, at the time, though.

They could've waited a little longer to make the deal.

Just to clarify, because this bothers me... Hee Seop Choi wasn't a horrible/bad/not good/average player for us... quite the contrary:

.270/.388/.495 - in 95 games

Are you kidding me?

Plus 15 HRs...

Hee Seop Choi may be the best kept secret in Marlins history... it's once he went West and landed us Paul LoL Duca that this: .161/.289/.242 happened.

Just to clarify, because this bothers me... Hee Seop Choi wasn't a horrible/bad/not good/average player for us... quite the contrary:

Are you kidding me?

Plus 15 HRs...

Hee Seop Choi may be the best kept secret in Marlins history... it's once he went West and landed us Paul LoL Duca that this: .161/.289/.242 happened.

That wasn't my point, though.

The original comment was "lets trade with the Cubs b/c we always seem to get the better end of the deal with them." This was a case where that did not happen. And considering the Marlins have only done it twice to the Cubs (possibly 3 times now b/c I really like the Gregg trade for us...but it hasn't been proven...yet), the comment is a little premature.

That wasn't my point, though.

The original comment was "lets trade with the Cubs b/c we always seem to get the better end of the deal with them." This was a case where that did not happen. And considering the Marlins have only done it twice to the Cubs (possibly 3 times now b/c I really like the Gregg trade for us...but it hasn't been proven...yet), the comment is a little premature.

If you look at it through the view Nny took though, we really did OK on that trade... considering we couldn't afford Lee anyways and that the alternative was DFA... we got a 1B that essentially matched his 2003 production, wasn't horrible with the glove (though Nny can correct me if I'm wrong) and was significantly cheaper... It's not as if we got "burned" on the trade. We made a "money-first" trade and did really well considering we had ZERO leverage... because the conversation with the Cubs probably went like this...

Cubs: We want Lee... you're either gonna trade him to us for Choi... or you're gonna wind up DFAing him and losing him for nothing

Marlins: Sounds good...

I assume similar conversations were had with the Orioles. Dodgers etc... and their "Chois" weren't as good/cheap

And yes, I get your point that we don't "hands down win" every trade with the Cubs... but this trade always seems to be tagged with some negative connotation, when in fact it was pretty good

Are you kidding me?

Plus 15 HRs...

:thumbup

Question? When was D.Lee due for his pay-day?

B/c we let him go after '03...yet, he signed his 5 year deal with the Cubs in April of '06. That's a 2+ year difference. What was Lee's exact contract situation after '03, and where can I find it? Thanks in advance.

He entered arbitration in 02-04. 02 he had $2.7, 03 $4.25. He was bought out in 04 as part of a 3/$22 deal, and then given a 5/$65 deal in 2006.

B/c we let him go after '03...yet, he signed his 5 year deal with the Cubs in April of '06. That's a 2+ year difference. What was Lee's exact contract situation after '03, and where can I find it? Thanks in advance.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/l/leede02.shtml

This has his salaries on the bottom of the page...

Looking at that... he made 4M+ in 2003 with us... and then 6M+ the next year...

He entered arbitration in 02-04. 02 he had $2.7, 03 $4.25. He was bought out in 04 as part of a 3/$22 deal, and then given a 5/$65 deal in 2006.

Frick Lou... :confused

Give someone else a chance :lol

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.