June 9, 200917 yr Just because someone went to college doesn't make him any more of a sure thing. The history of the draft says you're incorrect. Players taken out of college are about 20% more likely to make the Major Leagues than high school players. Source? Does that only including 1st round or all rounds? Does that only include major colleges or does that include junior colleges? "Baseball between the numbers: why everything you know about the game is wrong", by the experts at Baseball Prospectus, James Click ... [et al.]., edited by Jonah Keri. Basic Books, New York, Copyright 2006. High School 1984-1991 ---> 41 % College 1984-1991 --------> 60 % High School 1992-1999 ---> 39 % College 1992-1999 --------> 57 % It includes all rounds and all colleges
June 9, 200917 yr There's also a pretty good article on this debate over at Beyond the Box Score http://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2009/5/26/884500/feeling-a-draft
June 9, 200917 yr I would love for us to draft a college player in the draft this year. I know it's unlikely because we almost always draft high school kids early but I would love to get Mike Leake or A.J. Pollock at 18. Pollock could be Uggla's replacement at 2B if we do decide to trade him in a year or two and looks like a typical #1/2 hitter. Good contact and plate discipline with little power and above average speed.
June 9, 200917 yr I wouldy Ugglas eventualy replacement is already in the organization, either Coghlan or Smolinski.
June 9, 200917 yr Kyle Heckathorn(LHP) could end up being our pick if Bobby Borchering(3B/1B) does not drop for us. Here is a little scouting for Heckathorn: He already was an imposing figure when he arrived on campus at 6-foot-6 and 220 pounds. But he bulked up during his freshman season, adding another 20 pounds to his frame after getting a full year of Kennesaw State's strength and conditioning program under his belt. His fastball bumped up from 91-92 mph as a freshman to the upper 90s as a sophomore. He attacks hitters with fastballs that were coming in at up to 96 mph last spring and touched 98-99 mph during the summer. His primary weapon is a sinking two-seamer that he'll throw in any situation, while he'll mix in a four-seamer when he needs a strike. But his coach says those fastballs aren't even his best pitches. I would prefer Borchering but I wouldn't mind if we picked Heckathorn(he has some nasty stuff).
June 9, 200917 yr Pirates just threw me off. Jorge (Tony) Sanchez drafted at #4, didn't expect him to go until mid 1st round. I'll LOL if the Nats use their compensation pick they got for failing to sign Aaron Crow last year to draft Aaron Crow
June 9, 200917 yr Aaron Crow goes #12 to KC. Absolute steal by KC if they can sign him for the big money he wants.
June 9, 200917 yr At least Minor is gone so they Marlins dont have the temptation. Although for the life of me I cant fathom how he was a 1st round pick let alone a top 10.
June 9, 200917 yr At least Minor is gone so they Marlins dont have the temptation. Although for the life of me I cant fathom how he was a 1st round pick let alone a top 10. I've already said he has great command and a great changeup.
June 9, 200917 yr And hes a lefty. If he was a right hander he wouldnt of went before round 10 most likely. His stuff is pretty average and he has had a pedestrian at best career at Vanderbilt. In 2007 with team USA he went 5-2 with a 1.64 ERA and a 37-4 K-BB ratio and I'll give you some irony here, Mike Minor's nickname is "Spike" and some scouts even said that they would take Minor over Strasburg because Minor has much better command and has a great tendency to work out of jams.
June 9, 200917 yr I hope Arizona doesn't select Bobby Borchering but I have read they are interested.
June 9, 200917 yr And hes a lefty. If he was a right hander he wouldnt of went before round 10 most likely. His stuff is pretty average and he has had a pedestrian at best career at Vanderbilt. In 2007 with team USA he went 5-2 with a 1.64 ERA and a 37-4 K-BB ratio and I'll give you some irony here, Mike Minor's nickname is "Spike" and some scouts even said that they would take Minor over Strasburg because Minor has much better command and has a great tendency to work out of jams. Doesnt make up for the fact that his stuff is pretty meh and his average career at Vanderbilt. I think the Braves are going to be very disappointed with that pick.
June 9, 200917 yr By drafting Borchering, are we already giving up on Dominguez or Gaby Sanchez since he is a 1B/3B? I understand he is in state but we need to draft a pitcher in the first round more than we need to draft a 3B/1B
June 9, 200917 yr And hes a lefty. If he was a right hander he wouldnt of went before round 10 most likely. His stuff is pretty average and he has had a pedestrian at best career at Vanderbilt. In 2007 with team USA he went 5-2 with a 1.64 ERA and a 37-4 K-BB ratio and I'll give you some irony here, Mike Minor's nickname is "Spike" and some scouts even said that they would take Minor over Strasburg because Minor has much better command and has a great tendency to work out of jams. Doesnt make up for the fact that his stuff is pretty meh and his average career at Vanderbilt. I think the Braves are going to be very disappointed with that pick. He is a lot more ready for the majors right now than any other pitcher in this draft. I'll take command over "stuff" anyday as I stated before. Hitting the corners with ease is a hard thing to find in this draft, I would've loved to draft Minor.
June 9, 200917 yr My biggest complaint with drafting Borchering is that he is a man without a position and we need an upper tier young pitcher in the system. And hes a lefty. If he was a right hander he wouldnt of went before round 10 most likely. His stuff is pretty average and he has had a pedestrian at best career at Vanderbilt. In 2007 with team USA he went 5-2 with a 1.64 ERA and a 37-4 K-BB ratio and I'll give you some irony here, Mike Minor's nickname is "Spike" and some scouts even said that they would take Minor over Strasburg because Minor has much better command and has a great tendency to work out of jams. Doesnt make up for the fact that his stuff is pretty meh and his average career at Vanderbilt. I think the Braves are going to be very disappointed with that pick. He is a lot more ready for the majors right now than any other pitcher in this draft. I'll take command over "stuff" anyday as I stated before. Hitting the corners with ease is a hard thing to find in this draft, I would've loved to draft Minor. What good is command when your repertoire is incredibly hittable to professional hitters?
June 9, 200917 yr ok based on what's left, this is what I guess the Marlins board looks like 1. Shelby Miller 2. Chad James 3. Rex Brothers. I think the Marlins are looking for Shelby Miller best case scenario I'm still put off by Miller's command issues.
June 9, 200917 yr none taken Spike. Marlins select Chad James. Marlins select a lefty LOL them calling him Jonathan Johnson
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.