Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

MLB Draft 2009

Featured Replies

This has been one of the poorest Marlins drafts I can remember. 15 college players to 7 high schoolers so far, with few if any of the college players having any upside. Passed on the best high school pitcher in the draft that magically fell to the Fish to make a safe pick of a guy who projects to be anywhere from a bottom of the rotation starter to a loogy.

 

Just sad.

I'm looking forward to seeing how Chad Cregar does in the minors. He put up monster all-around numbers at Western Kentucky this season.

  • Author

What's with all the negativity? I like our draft so far. The guys at MLB.com, who actually know what they're talking about, praised our draft so far.

They must be watching a different Marlins draft. We passed on the best high school pitcher in the draft to make a safety pick and we have drafted 23 college players...most of them 23(or getting ready to turn 23) or 24 years old with little to no upside.

 

These are all cheap signability picks who by and large will add nothing to the system. Hopefully something else is in the works.

Stop with your lovefest of Shelby Miller Spike. Miller is nothing but Andrew Miller version 2.0, the kid has absolutely no control. I doubt he will ever get it completely fixed. Chad James may not have the best of control, but at least can hit the strike zone.

 

Don't give me the "OMG Miller has a 98 MPH fastball and his secondary pitches have so much movement!!!!" Great, now if he can get it over the strike zone it might actually mean something.

 

ya'll know I wanted Minor, but he went #7. Braves got a soon to be major league ready player there.

Stop with your lovefest of Shelby Miller Spike. Miller is nothing but Andrew Miller version 2.0, the kid has absolutely no control. I doubt he will ever get it completely fixed. Chad James may not have the best of control, but at least can hit the strike zone.

 

Don't give me the "OMG Miller has a 98 MPH fastball and his secondary pitches have so much movement!!!!" Great, now if he can get it over the strike zone it might actually mean something.

 

ya'll know I wanted Minor, but he went #7. Braves got a soon to be major league ready player there.

 

 

 

I'll take Andrew Miller in the draft anyday.

Yes, he has no control. But he's from HIGH SCHOOL. He is very young and can develop control throughout his minor league career. We could have developed him to be something special. If his stuff is as good as you guys say, then we should all be dissapointed.

ya'll know I wanted Minor, but he went #7. Braves got a soon to be major league ready player there.

 

Yes Minor has control but his stuff is average at best...kind of sounds like Graham Taylor(maybe a little better, but overall not much difference...impeccable control but stuff that will struggle to get MLB hitters out). You are looking at a bottom of the rotation starter or middle reliever. That was a safe pick by the Braves even moreso than James was for us.

 

Shelby Miller has electric stuff, is 18 years old, and was considered the best high school arm in the draft.

 

And no, you are the only person I have seen anywhere say that Minors stuff is better than average. I have seen the words "good" to "quality" to describe his changeup, not "phenominal". If the guy was a RHP, he would of been a mid 2nd day pick.

http://mlb.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?topic_id=4961152&content_id=4737431

 

if you see in this video, his mechanics are constantly causing the ball to drift out of his hand and causes his fastball to stay on the right side of the plate way too much, as well as causing his slider to fall into the dirt a lot.

 

Many scouts say he doesn't use his back leg enough, another thing you can see in the video. All these things can be corrected, but they are not easy fixes.

 

James is going to add speed as his body fills out, and add that to some above average secondary pitches with better command than Miller, and you have the reason James was selected earlier.

Just thought you'd be interested to know that my cousin, Daniel Lima out of Barry, was drafted at #694 by the Texas Rangers. He's a really great kid and I'm extremely happy for him. I think he set the Barry school record this year for base hits. I'm thrilled he's able to at least play some minor league ball.

ya'll know I wanted Minor, but he went #7. Braves got a soon to be major league ready player there.

 

Yes Minor has control but his stuff is average at best...kind of sounds like Graham Taylor(maybe a little better, but overall not much difference...impeccable control but stuff that will struggle to get MLB hitters out). You are looking at a bottom of the rotation starter or middle reliever. That was a safe pick by the Braves even moreso than James was for us.

 

Shelby Miller has electric stuff, is 18 years old, and was considered the best high school arm in the draft.

 

 

I already told you that the scouts said that the only real average pitch Minor had was his fastball which stayed in the low 90s and had minimal movement. His changeup is "phenomenal" as many scouts said. I've said multiple times it can be compared to the changeup of Cole Hamels, the bottom falls off of it at the last second, and it is a work of beauty. His slider is also said to be above average, and has so good movement on it in the mid 80s.

 

So the argument that Minor has completely average stuff is false, and I've stated multiple times I'll take above average pitches with great control over great stuff with extremely below average control anyday.

You cant honestly say that with any certainty.

 

 

 

I can say based on the videos I have seen, and every single scout saying the exact same thing about Miller. He like many others is a project, only difference is that for a guy like James it will be seeing how his pitches develop as he grows, with Miller its spending his time in the minors correct his mechanics over and over again until you can find consistancy in him throwing strikes, something we have seen in many prospects over the years of the draft, and only a few succeed when having very bad control out of HS.

Comparing Shelby Miller to Beckett is like comparing John Raynor to Josh Hamilton. It isn't close. Shelby Miller is Ryan Tucker. Literally hundreds of guys have come out of high school in the past decade fitting the profile of 96 MPH fastball combined with no control whatsoever and not being able to throw secondary pitches. The only difference that gets guys like Spike all hot and bothered is the fact that he is from Texas and three times in his life Shelby Miller reached back and threw 98 in front of scouts. If he was Beckett 2 the Rangers and more than a dozen other teams do not pass on him.

 

It's not worth the millions of dollars it would cost to sign him for the less than 5% chance he has to become a front line starter.

 

I liked Miller long before his velocity jumped. Go back and look, I have been begging for us to draft Miller for months.

 

That's not the point, the point is that Shelby Miller is no where near Josh Beckett in terms of a prospect, it's laughable to even compare the two. He is Ryan Tucker/Homer Bailey without the curveball.

 

Stop with your lovefest of Shelby Miller Spike.

 

 

You know nothing of Spike. Once he gets on a point he will ramble on and on and on and on for literally years to come now about how we should have taken Shelby Miller.

only an ass would criticize a draft where 50 players are taken per team, where he never has seen anything more than 30 seconds of grainy footage of any of these people, and, lest we forget, NO NUMBER ONE OVERALL PITCHER HAS EVER WON A CY YOUNG AWARD OR BEEN A PERENNIAL ALL STAR. So if no front office in baseball history has ever identified a #1 overall stud pitcher, it means you have no clue either.

Current draft grade D/D-. If they fail to sign the high upside high school players they finally started taking on day 3(which I assume is why they drafted so many mediocre college players on day 2, to save money or a splash on day 3...it is the only way to explain it)...they fail to sign the day 3 prep guys, this draft is an easy F.

Just thought you'd be interested to know that my cousin, Daniel Lima out of Barry, was drafted at #694 by the Texas Rangers. He's a really great kid and I'm extremely happy for him. I think he set the Barry school record this year for base hits. I'm thrilled he's able to at least play some minor league ball.

 

 

Congrads!!! I heard barry head a hell of a year. I know one of the kids at barry but hes only a sophomore this year. He should probably get drafted next year.

I don't know anything about these players, nor will I grade an MLB draft (which is a total crapshoot to me).

Regardless, why would you take the pitcher with control over the pitcher with stuff? (Dim?)

Control can be fixed making an adjustment in mechanics (especially for an 18 year old). You don't teach velocity.

He is also the only person I have ever heard talk about Miller's poor control. The only thing I have ever heard that could be called a "control" problem with Miller is that he pitches up in the zone, but that is preference more than poor location.

 

Fact is, the kid has velocity and an amazing curve ball. Scouts have compared him to Josh Beckett coming out of high school, that is good enough to me. That tells me with a little coachability he could move as fast through a system as Big Tex did.

 

Dont get me wrong, James would of been a great pick had Miller already been selected, but that wasnt the case.

Dim compared Shelby Miller to Andrew Miller. This explains it all.

 

 

 

wtf is your point? I'm saying that Miller according to every video I have watched and every scouting report I have read, has major control issues. A guy like Minor is a lot closer to a final product. Shelby Miller has mechanics issues as well, at least by drafting James we got a guy who has his mechanics for the most part down, better control (although still not great), and a changeup that has some good movement on it (definitely not as good of movement as that of Minor).

 

And Erick, I don't get the point of you commenting in this thread if you have no idea about any of these players. I've seen Miller, and he has big control issues. I'll take a guy who hits the corners with ease in Minor rather than spend 4 to 5 years trying to constantly change Miller's mechanics and help him in getting his pitches over the plate over and over again.

 

Chad James will grow into his body, and his pitches will gain speed and will become more refined over time, that is a guaruntee (sp?). Miller we have no idea whether he will ever get his control fixed.

I want a specific instance of someone questioning Miller's control. You are the first person I have ever seen allude to Shelby Miller having control problems.

 

And whats the point of bringing up Minor, who might have control but his stuff will place him firmly as a loogy if he happens to make an MLB roster.

You must not get around to reading a lot of scouting reports. Not one scouting report failed to mention that Miller's curveball barely reached the plate, his fastball is all over the place, and his control is bad to put it nicely.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.