Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

2009 Marlins vs the 2003 Marlins

Featured Replies

I'm not sure if I'm completely correct, but do you remember the 1st game of the world series against the Yankees. Top of the 1st, Juan Pierre hits a bunt single down the 3rd base line. McKeon then calls the hit and run and Luis Castillo delivers a single to right, advancing Juan Pierre to 3rd. Pudge comes up and hits a sacrafice fly to center, Marlins lead 1-0 just like that. That set the tone for that game, and for that series, and that's why we were world champions !

 

The 2009 Marlins are far from that. We don't know how to manufacture runs. The fact is we're one of the worst teams in the NL with RISP. We have no situational hitting whatsoever. I don't know how many times I've seen a man on 3rd with less than 2 outs and we couldn't deliver. We hardly ever hit and run. When we need to lay down a bunt to advance a runner, we fail miserably. We can't do the little things right, and I don't want to blame Fredi completely, but he does get some of the blame.

 

I remember when we were playing the Padres and Tommy Hutton absolutely exploded. He was so mad at the fact that Fredi was not putting any pressure on the Padres such as calling hit and runs and stealing bases. Fredi has been a very conservative manager all year, and I really think he has to get out of his shell and take some chances. It seems like the front office has him by the nuts, and the reason why Girardi got fired is b/c he said f*** THIS, this is my team and I'm going to call the shots. Fredi needs to start taking charge, and if we don't change something soon, we'll be sitting at home come October.

I'm not sure if I'm completely correct, but do you remember the 1st game of the world series against the Yankees. Top of the 1st, Juan Pierre hits a bunt single down the 3rd base line. McKeon then calls the hit and run and Luis Castillo delivers a single to right, advancing Juan Pierre to 3rd. Pudge comes up and hits a sacrafice fly to center, Marlins lead 1-0 just like that. That set the tone for that game, and for that series, and that's why we were world champions !

 

The 2009 Marlins are far from that. We don't know how to manufacture runs. The fact is we're one of the worst teams in the NL with RISP. We have no situational hitting whatsoever. I don't know how many times I've seen a man on 3rd with less than 2 outs and we couldn't deliver. We hardly ever hit and run. When we need to lay down a bunt to advance a runner, we fail miserably. We can't do the little things right, and I don't want to blame Fredi completely, but he does get some of the blame.

 

I remember when we were playing the Padres and Tommy Hutton absolutely exploded. He was so mad at the fact that Fredi was not putting any pressure on the Padres such as calling hit and runs and stealing bases. Fredi has been a very conservative manager all year, and I really think he has to get out of his shell and take some chances. It seems like the front office has him by the nuts, and the reason why Girardi got fired is b/c he said f*** THIS, this is my team and I'm going to call the shots. Fredi needs to start taking charge, and if we don't change something soon, we'll be sitting at home come October.

 

Good point but how do you want to hit and run when half the marlins team is swing and miss guys!

I remember when we were playing the Padres and Tommy Hutton absolutely exploded. He was so mad at the fact that Fredi was not putting any pressure on the Padres such as calling hit and runs and stealing bases. Fredi has been a very conservative manager all year, and I really think he has to get out of his shell and take some chances. It seems like the front office has him by the nuts, and the reason why Girardi got fired is b/c he said f*** THIS, this is my team and I'm going to call the shots. Fredi needs to start taking charge, and if we don't change something soon, we'll be sitting at home come October.

 

 

I'm not a Fredi hater but sometimes he seems like he is babysitting these guys instead of really trying to turn them into a dangerous ballclub. I'm tired of hearing the stories of our payroll constraints and how amazing it is that we are competetive when it seems like everyone in the organization is content with merely being competetive and doesn't really believe that we could be something better.

 

Much as the Cubs play every year with the knowledge that they haven't won a series in a century, the Marlins seem to reflect the knowledge that they have the lowest payroll in the league. This team isn't the 2003 yet there are some nice elements, but I haven't seen anything for years that shows me anyone in this organization believes we could be a better than decent team, which is what we ended up as in 2006 and 2008. Sure, we make some trades for guys like Nick Johnson, but that move is more symbolic than anything else and the organization didn't give up anything of consequence. When the usual talent giveaway occurs at the end of the year, I'm sure we can count on some of our young players to step in and keep the team competetive but I don't think they will be more than that until something happens to change the mentality of the team and cause them to genuinely believe in themselves (like the Rays, Rockies, and us in 2003).

 

With Fredi's conservative, tow-the-line nature, its hard to imagine that kind of spark being lit.

They had better baseball players. They had a rotation that absolutely ate batters, a bullpen that had the leftovers, a 1-2 punch that made their homes on base, a 3-4-5 lump that enjoyed killing pitches in their offtime, and 6-7-8 hitters that did what they did admirably. It had nothing to do "smallball" or "manufacturing runs", it had to do with being a very good baseball team. I know the who thing is supposed to be remembered as the little Marlins that shocked the world, but it was just a really good team who won 91 games.

 

You try the hit and run with our guys? You'd end up with a strike-em-out throw-em-out double play half the time.

look at both lineup this team donot have power to be very good team i know we have jj and hanley but rest is ok our roatation looking for 5 starter good team are not doing that our bullpen been good and bad playoff team got soild bullpen so still missing parts to be in playoff team

The only thing that wasn't irritating about that game was the good performance by the BP.

 

Speaking of irritating, since there's little else to say about the game, there's this:

 

tow-the-line

 

It's TOE the line. No hyphens. As in to conform rigorously to a rule or standard. Also expressed as "toe the mark," as in to step up to it. Too bad that the saying didn't evolve more around "the mark" because way too many people seem to think that "the line" is a rope or cable or something other than a standard to be met.

 

That's almost as annoying as "dominate" being used when "dominant" is meant. It's a sad state of affairs when a sizable fraction of MLB players are more literate than a board full of supposedly intelligent kibitzers.

 

Thus ends today's usage lesson, which is mere filler in the face of a generally worthless and pitiful game. Hopefully, they salvage what's left of their self-respect tomorrow.

The only thing that wasn't irritating about that game was the good performance by the BP.

 

Speaking of irritating, since there's little else to say about the game, there's this:

 

tow-the-line

 

It's TOE the line. No hyphens. As in to conform rigorously to a rule or standard. Also expressed as "toe the mark," as in to step up to it. Too bad that the saying didn't evolve more around "the mark" because way too many people seem to think that "the line" is a rope or cable or something other than a standard to be met.

 

That's almost as annoying as "dominate" being used when "dominant" is meant. It's a sad state of affairs when a sizable fraction of MLB players are more literate than a board full of supposedly intelligent kibitzers.

 

Thus ends today's usage lesson, which is mere filler in the face of a generally worthless and pitiful game. Hopefully, they salvage what's left of their self-respect tomorrow.

 

I'm actually a college graduate who was recognized as the outstanding student in my major at a highly ranked academic institution. Forgive me the grammatical error, but don't imply that I lack the intelligence to properly express myself when I have actually been paid to write professionally.

 

Just like my error was a result of being careless, I'll attribute your rant to the frustration of seeing our team fall behind in the playoff race while playing then worst team in the league and we'll move on.

Forgive me the grammatical error

 

I would, but it wasn't a grammatical error, it was a usage error, or, alternatively, a typo. My literacy comment wasn't directed at you, but rather at the board in general, or rather those who don't seem to be exemplary products of the tender ministrations of the NEA. Perhaps I should have made myself more clear.

 

Maybe those who didn't know the difference learned something. Next, I'll get those damned pudding people. Those who think the proof is IN the pudding as opposed to in the eating of the pudding.

 

:lol

 

My "rant" was meant to be humorous as everyone hates the spelling, grammar and usage police, but there was nothing much left to say after that lost opportunity of a ballgame piled on top of the first blown ballgame.

 

In any case, I rather appreciate most of your comments, literate as they usually are, in sharp contrast to some of the stuff which finds its way onto this board under the guise of commentary.

 

:thumbup

Forgive me the grammatical error

 

I would, but it wasn't a grammatical error, it was a usage error, or, alternatively, a typo. My literacy comment wasn't directed at you, but rather at the board in general, or rather those who don't seem to be exemplary products of the tender ministrations of the NEA. Perhaps I should have made myself more clear.

 

Maybe those who didn't know the difference learned something. Next, I'll get those damned pudding people. Those who think the proof is IN the pudding as opposed to in the eating of the pudding.

 

:lol

 

My "rant" was meant to be humorous as everyone hates the spelling, grammar and usage police, but there was nothing much left to say after that lost opportunity of a ballgame piled on top of the first blown ballgame.

 

In any case, I rather appreciate most of your comments, literate as they usually are, in sharp contrast to some of the stuff which finds its way onto this board under the guise of commentary.

 

:thumbup

 

That saying never did make much sense to me. But it is the only way I have ever heard it. "The proof is in the eating of the pudding" just dosen't do it for me either. Stay away from it, please. It will be lost on people that don't know the difference between "their," "they're," and "there."

While we're on the subject I'd like to nominate my favorite botched exp​ression:

 

"that's just cutting off your nose despite your face!"

 

 

LOL

 

that is awesome

people [who] don't know the difference between "their," "they're," and "there."

 

 

:lol

 

To put the metaphorical pudding in terms even they will get, someone can make all kinds of claims about the great talent of a minor league prospect (the pudding) but proof of the claims (about the pudding) is only established by actual play at the MLB level (the metaphorical eating of the metaphorical pudding.)

 

The saying "The proof of the pudding is in the eating" has been traced back to about 1300 and was popularised by Cervantes in Don Quixote in 1605.

They had better baseball players. They had a rotation that absolutely ate batters, a bullpen that had the leftovers, a 1-2 punch that made their homes on base, a 3-4-5 lump that enjoyed killing pitches in their offtime, and 6-7-8 hitters that did what they did admirably. It had nothing to do "smallball" or "manufacturing runs", it had to do with being a very good baseball team. I know the who thing is supposed to be remembered as the little Marlins that shocked the world, but it was just a really good team who won 91 games.

 

You try the hit and run with our guys? You'd end up with a strike-em-out throw-em-out double play half the time.

 

 

 

I agree, this team isn;t small ball, we can't hit and run this team sucks at that, I say next season we trade uggla hermida and whomever else needs to go for some major league ready or some nice propsect. if they really want to focus on pitching and defense then next season we gotta remodel, i don't have confidence that this team will ever make the playoffs, i hope they prove me wrong though

I'm not sure if I'm completely correct, but do you remember the 1st game of the world series against the Yankees. Top of the 1st, Juan Pierre hits a bunt single down the 3rd base line. McKeon then calls the hit and run and Luis Castillo delivers a single to right, advancing Juan Pierre to 3rd. Pudge comes up and hits a sacrafice fly to center, Marlins lead 1-0 just like that. That set the tone for that game, and for that series, and that's why we were world champions !

 

The 2009 Marlins are far from that. We don't know how to manufacture runs. The fact is we're one of the worst teams in the NL with RISP. We have no situational hitting whatsoever. I don't know how many times I've seen a man on 3rd with less than 2 outs and we couldn't deliver. We hardly ever hit and run. When we need to lay down a bunt to advance a runner, we fail miserably. We can't do the little things right, and I don't want to blame Fredi completely, but he does get some of the blame.

 

I remember when we were playing the Padres and Tommy Hutton absolutely exploded. He was so mad at the fact that Fredi was not putting any pressure on the Padres such as calling hit and runs and stealing bases. Fredi has been a very conservative manager all year, and I really think he has to get out of his shell and take some chances. It seems like the front office has him by the nuts, and the reason why Girardi got fired is b/c he said f*** THIS, this is my team and I'm going to call the shots. Fredi needs to start taking charge, and if we don't change something soon, we'll be sitting at home come October.

 

 

That is because if we get Coghlan on first, and try to do a hit and run with Emilio, he will miss and strike out.

I don't think it's that surprising what just happened in DC. While I know this is a thread comparing 2003 and 2009 Marlins the last week or so as I watched the Nationals seemingly get better overnight, it reminded me so much of the 2006 Florida Marlins when all of a sudden someone flipped the light switch on. Hopefully they are just as good against the rest of the NL East the rest of the way.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.