August 24, 200917 yr I've gotta say... I was opening the link bracing myself for a bad list... but it's pretty good. I'd definitely get JP higher ranked... and Dan Uggla muuuch lower ranked. And not just influenced by his play right now...
August 24, 200917 yr What is this based on? B/c if it's about how good the players are...Hanley Ramirez is, easily, #1, all things considered.
August 24, 200917 yr Wow, Niner isn't in the top 5? I can understand having him behind Louis, Miggie, and Hanley (though I wouldn't) but behind Mike Lowell and D-Train? I'm a bit eh on that. Also, Beckett ahead of Brown is stupid. Alex Gonzalez is too high as well, CJ might be too low. Another issue is that they are obviously leaning way too much to the present. Mike Jacobs? Scott Olsen? Amezaga?? But hey, no list is perfect and this one was pretty damn decent.
August 24, 200917 yr Author I was turned off immediately when I saw Conine wasn't in the top 5. They don't call him "Mr. Marlin" because he likes to fish.....
August 25, 200917 yr Off the top of my head, wheres Benito Santiago? I wouldn't consider him top 50. He spent two seasons with us and neither was great enough to give him a spot for a short time with the team.
August 25, 200917 yr Off the top of my head, wheres Benito Santiago? I wouldn't consider him top 50. He spent two seasons with us and neither was great enough to give him a spot for a short time with the team. May I remind you that Mike Jacobs is on this list?
August 25, 200917 yr Off the top of my head, wheres Benito Santiago? I wouldn't consider him top 50. He spent two seasons with us and neither was great enough to give him a spot for a short time with the team. May I remind you that Mike Jacobs is on this list? I haven't looked at the list completely yet. I was just giving a possible reason for Benito's exclusion.
August 25, 200917 yr My guess is he didn't think of it. There is definitely some filler on this list that Benito could have gone ahead.
August 25, 200917 yr -Bonilla too low -Jacobs shouldn't be on it at all -Olsen shouldn't be on at all -Amezaga shouldn't be on at all -Delgado too low -Harvey too low -Alou too low -Millar too high -Dempster too high -Looper too high (higher than Harvey or Benitez? :lol) -Preston Wilson too high -Alfonseca too high -Burnett too high -Willis too high
August 25, 200917 yr Off the top of my head, wheres Benito Santiago? I wouldn't consider him top 50. He spent two seasons with us and neither was great enough to give him a spot for a short time with the team. May I remind you that Mike Jacobs is on this list? I haven't looked at the list completely yet. I was just giving a possible reason for Benito's exclusion. but they have Mike Redmond on the list
August 25, 200917 yr but they have Mike Redmond on the list I think Redmond deserves to be on there more than Benito Santiago does.
August 25, 200917 yr but they have Mike Redmond on the list I think Redmond deserves to be on there more than Benito Santiago does. I'm not arguing (although Santiago contributed more in 94 than Redmond did in his career as a backup for the Marlins imo), I just think the inclusion of such guys as Amezaga, Olsen, Redmond, Jacobs, and Looper are pretty funny in their own right. But what can you say, the Marlins don't have much history, especially since in our short history we have traded every player other than Hanley before giving them a long term contract (well Delgado also classifies kinda). Give the team a good 20 years and that list will look a hell of a lot better, and get rid of some sh*t names as Mike Redmond from the top 50.
August 25, 200917 yr I've gotta say... I was opening the link bracing myself for a bad list... but it's pretty good. I'd definitely get JP higher ranked... and Dan Uggla muuuch lower ranked. And not just influenced by his play right now... Why? Two all-star teams, really solid production over 4 seasons. How many other Marlins made two all-star teams? Also, Preston Wilson was way too high IMO. And I'd like JP to be higher. I think it's ridiculous that JP and Uggla are behind Alex Gonzalez. And I think Dontrelle Willis is much too high. I think Conine and Sheffield should be easily higher than him, and Hanley should be in front of Lowell, too (as much as Lowell is easily one of my favorite Marlins of all-time).
August 25, 200917 yr I've gotta say... I was opening the link bracing myself for a bad list... but it's pretty good. I'd definitely get JP higher ranked... and Dan Uggla muuuch lower ranked. And not just influenced by his play right now... Why? Two all-star teams, really solid production over 4 seasons. How many other Marlins made two all-star teams? Also, Preston Wilson was way too high IMO. And I'd like JP to be higher. I think it's ridiculous that JP and Uggla are behind Alex Gonzalez. And I think Dontrelle Willis is much too high. I think Conine and Sheffield should be easily higher than him, and Hanley should be in front of Lowell, too (as much as Lowell is easily one of my favorite Marlins of all-time). Because of the fact that he is hugely inconsistent and doesn't show up in the 2nd half of the season. There other guys that were under Uggla that were for sure better Marlins than Uggla. Post #1000 BTW when I wrote that... I was just expecting it to be much worse. I wouldn't say the list is too far off, though it could have been catastrophic if you ask me.
August 25, 200917 yr I've gotta say... I was opening the link bracing myself for a bad list... but it's pretty good. I'd definitely get JP higher ranked... and Dan Uggla muuuch lower ranked. And not just influenced by his play right now... Why? Two all-star teams, really solid production over 4 seasons. How many other Marlins made two all-star teams? Also, Preston Wilson was way too high IMO. And I'd like JP to be higher. I think it's ridiculous that JP and Uggla are behind Alex Gonzalez. And I think Dontrelle Willis is much too high. I think Conine and Sheffield should be easily higher than him, and Hanley should be in front of Lowell, too (as much as Lowell is easily one of my favorite Marlins of all-time). Because of the fact that he is hugely inconsistent and doesn't show up in the 2nd half of the season. There other guys that were under Uggla that were for sure better Marlins than Uggla. Post #1000 BTW when I wrote that... I was just expecting it to be much worse. I wouldn't say the list is too far off, though it could have been catastrophic if you ask me. You are vastly underrating Dan Uggla. If anything he should be ranked higher. He has been one of the most valuable commodities this franchise has ever seen. A power hitting, 800+ OPS 2b with average to slight below average defense and a plus runner on the base paths are extremely rare. The second base position itself has been getting better over the years which "devalues" him in todays sense, but nobody behind him should be ahead of him.
August 25, 200917 yr here is the top 20's WAR. considering the fact that the fielding statused is far from perfect, the list looks more or less fine outside ofhaving relievers in the top 20, both of them should be gone. Also doesn't include 2009, so Hanley would be #1 now 20. Preston Wilson 4.7 19. Edgar Renteria 4.1 18. Antonio Alfonseca 3.1 17. Dan Uggla 8.9 16. Juan Pierre 4.2 15. Alex Gonzalez 0.3 (His 2003: very very good. The rest: not. Good fielder but nowhere near enough for his bat) 14. Charles Johnson 11.1 13. Cliff Floyd 16.8 12. Robb Nen 5.2 11. A.J. Burnett 11.1 10. Derrek Lee 9.2 9. Kevin Brown 13.3 8. Gary Sheffield 13.2 7. Josh Beckett 9.2 6. Jeff Conine 14.9 5. Mike Lowell 16.4 4. Hanley Ramirez 18.4 3. Dontrelle Willis 18.4 (Pitchers include hitting and base running. Dontrelle has added 3.5 wins with those two) 2. Miguel Cabrera 18.7 1. Luis Castillo 20.1
August 25, 200917 yr Well, this list definitely skewed towards "newer era" players, but not to the degree I would necessarily expect. Juan has some real surprises (not that they're on the list, but that he decided to put them on there, such as Redmond, Kotsay and Millar) on there, but also some face palms. I don't care how many HR's he hit in his season w/ us, Delgado does not belong on this list; sam can be said of Amezaga, JAcobs and Olsen. No way does Miggy sit ahead of Hanley. How does Josh Beckett make the list twice!?! While I wouldn't have named Luis the best all-time Marlin, in the end The problem with these lists are that they are inherently biased; some people might value pitching over hitting, or might value the older players over newer. Also, how do you guage "Greatest Marlin?" Players w/ the greatest stats as a Marlin? Players w/ great career stats that have been a Marlin? Players with the most popularity? Awards? I think there could be a way to come out with a weighted formula that could be a little closer to "the truth." In aggregate, I'd expect if they had Marlins fans complete this list to be roughly consistent. Could be an interesting experiment. However, I instantly discredit this list because Andre is nowhere to be seen.
August 25, 200917 yr However, I instantly discredit this list because Andre is nowhere to be seen. Yes, who could forget Dawson's 10 home runs with the team?
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.