Nick Johnson placed on the DL, retro to Aug. 16

dim

How about how stupid the FO looks for letting him waste a spot on the 25-man for well over a week now? That's really frustrating, and we've had a few questionable pinch-hitter situation IIRC.

Do we have many better PHers down in AAA?

We have to have somebody useful somewhere. Maybe not necessarily as a better PHer. But at least as another PHer so we don't have to worry about burning one, or a defensive replacement, like Carroll, or additional bullpen arm or something. It seems like poor roster management, but I'm sure they didn't think (or weren't led to think) that it would linger for this long....

Our use of the DL is absolutely sickening. How many injured players have we let linger on the active roster for nearly 15 days while we wait for them to be useful again? We're so afraid of not having a player for two games that we hurt ourselves struggling to play a man down the other 11-12 during that stretch.

29 other teams use the DL regularly so that they can field a major league team. Why are we so afraid to?

Our use of the DL is absolutely sickening. How many injured players have we let linger on the active roster for nearly 15 days while we wait for them to be useful again? We're so afraid of not having a player for two games that we hurt ourselves struggling to play a man down the other 11-12 during that stretch.

29 other teams use the DL regularly so that they can field a major league team. Why are we so afraid to?

Actually it's 10 days or you can't go retroactive.

Hammys are a touchy thing. He says the improvement has been there, just slowly. It was fine Tuesday until he pushed it a little more and felt pain. That's really all you can do with a hammy. Keep pushing it until you don't feel the pain any more. But I thought after his comments during the Atl series he would have gone on it then. The team gambled and lost. I think we wasted a roster spot for 4 games, but I don't have the priveledge of actually watching him during practice.

BC for promotion hopefully

Maybe. But with Baker being day to day, I would like to see what Hayes can bring to the table. What little I saw of him in ST was nice. Good glove. Just needed work on his bat. Apparently he still does, but I'm not so sure the FO and coaches are willing to gamble on going with one catcher day to day.

I guess this means Gaby is getting some major playing time??

Count on it!

Don't know why you guys would think that. The coaches and FO haven't shown any confidence in the kid at all. Too much of a free swinger and not much of a glove. Granted it's a very small sample size, but it's all we have to go on. No sense in taking that gamble while in a race. They will most likely use him the same as they have been. Rarely.

Don't know why you guys would think that. The coaches and FO haven't shown any confidence in the kid at all. Too much of a free swinger and not much of a glove. Granted it's a very small sample size, but it's all we have to go on. No sense in taking that gamble while in a race. They will most likely use him the same as they have been. Rarely.

I don't know if I agree it must be his glove or they don't have confidence in him, etc., but he obviously isn't showing them what they need to see from him - my best guess would be he's not standing out or giving the kind of effort they're looking for in batting practice or drills because this time of the season he could could be eating raw garlic and not bathing for a week and if he was banging the ball all over the park putting on an exhibition in BP or making plays in practice there's only one thing the coaches and manager are focused on (if for no other reason than self preservation if you want to look at their actions selfishly) and that is who can contribute the most to tonight's lineup.

I really thought he'd get more playing time if for no other reason than to preserve options off the bench late in games but I doubt very much this has anything to do with personalities or playing favorites, not when every game counts.

I guess this means Gaby is getting some major playing time??

Count on it!

I think he actually has a very good plate approach. The problem is that when you screw a guy around all year, call him up to sit the bench for a week behind the worst third basemen in baseball, then call him up again only to not really play him then you can't expect somebody to have a good plate approach. Being a bench player is a very difficult role for a rookie and that's why a lot of rookies aren't given that role.

While I don't think it will happen, if Gaby were given a chance to start for the next week or so I think we'd start to see some nice swings from him.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.