Hot Marlins Hitters

EricWiener

Wow, I realized Coghlan was doing good, not that good though.

Yup, Coghlan has been the man this month.

And Hermida only has a .908 OPS? Pfft, what a freaking loser. Send his ass down....

not counting this hot month he has a .730 OPS. don't act like he's been a hell of a hitter all this season. or his whole career. one hot month. bonifacio had one hot month.

(he's not the worst hitter, and he had a great 07, dont get me wrong. but i sure as hell know i wanted him gone earlier this season)

not counting this hot month he has a .730 OPS. don't act like he's been a hell of a hitter all this season. or his whole career. one hot month. bonifacio had one hot month.

(he's not the worst hitter, and he had a great 07, dont get me wrong. but i sure as hell know i wanted him gone earlier this season)

Not counting this month, Coghlan didn't even have a .700 OPS, but everyone loves him. Yes he is a rookie, be he is all of 10 1/2 months younger than Hermida. Hermida was rushed to the majors, misused in the lineup, and his batting approach was f***ed with after he showed success. Nobody has been trying to make Coghlan more aggressive.

One cannot remove the successful PAs from a player and then bitch about him. The greatest players in the game are out more than 55% of the time.

Not counting this month, Coghlan didn't even have a .700 OPS, but everyone loves him. Yes he is a rookie, be he is all of 10 1/2 months younger than Hermida. Hermida was rushed to the majors, misused in the lineup, and his batting approach was f***ed with after he showed success. Nobody has been trying to make Coghlan more aggressive.

One cannot remove the successful PAs from a player and then bitch about him. The greatest players in the game are out more than 55% of the time.

:thumbup Finally someone who makes sense.

Coghlan has been an .802 OPS hitter since moving into the leadoff spot. He's been pretty awesome since his first month.

No, he was awesome for just over 3 weeks. Now in those 3 weeks he was f-ing balls to the wall awesome, but lets not pretend his June or July were at all great. One of the reasons his yearly stats look so good is that he got 20% or so of his PAs in those 3 weeks because he hadn't really played all the time prior, was leading off, and the whole team was cranking which turned over the lineup an extra time or two every game. I fully expect Hermida to finish with a higher OPS if both he and Coghlan are left in their current roles (or even swapped).

BTW Rabb, I didn't forget Bonifacio, I restricted myself to guys with a bunch of PAs (ie starters), I also didn't show Johnson who has missed a couple of weeks.

I think a big story is Uggla. Since June 1 he's had a .818 OPS and it is just getting better. Now that his bad luck has eased up and his BABiP is no longer in the .220 range he's cranking. Heck, if he were running team average (.315) in BABiP he'd probably have a .900 OPS now.

Coghlan has been a beast all season, IMO. And his month of August is what we should expect of him in the future. Not a .973 OPS, but a really good leadoff hitter with good pop.

Btw, Eric Weiner, I don't think Hermida ends up with a better OPS that Coghlan. In order for that to happen, Coghlan will need to cool down alot, and Hermida will need to be balls awesome.

Coghlan has been a beast all season, IMO. And his month of August is what we should expect of him in the future. Not a .973 OPS, but a really good leadoff hitter with good pop.

Btw, Eric Weiner, I don't think Hermida ends up with a better OPS that Coghlan. In order for that to happen, Coghlan will need to cool down alot, and Hermida will need to be balls awesome.

The same thing that fueled Coghlan meteoric rise in season stats will temper them over the remainder of the season. If he plays as much in Sept. as he has in August, he will put in about 20% or so of his PAs. .770 over that span (really what a valuable top of the order low-power guy like that will produce) should bring him in under .800 OPS.

Hermida will need to hit in the .280 range and draw his customary level of walks and have his customary 160+ points in isolated power and that will bring him in just over the .800 OPS line. I happen to think that, if he is kept out of the #2 spot, he will do just that.

Also, you are entitled to your opinion, but 'beast all season' has nothing to back that up.

The same thing that fueled Coghlan meteoric rise in season stats will temper them over the remainder of the season. If he plays as much in Sept. as he has in August, he will put in about 20% or so of his PAs. .770 over that span (really what a valuable top of the order low-power guy like that will produce) should bring him in under .800 OPS.

Hermida will need to hit in the .280 range and draw his customary level of walks and have his customary 160+ points in isolated power and that will bring him in just over the .800 OPS line. I happen to think that, if he is kept out of the #2 spot, he will do just that.

Also, you are entitled to your opinion, but 'beast all season' has nothing to back that up.

The thing is, how do you know Coghlan is going to put up a .770 OPS in the month of September? He could have a .800 OPS in the month of September and keep his season OPS over .800. And the only reason, IMO, Coghlan put up a bad slugging % in the beginning of the season was because he was still adjusting. Now, he is more comfortable. The game is slowing down for him.

I said he is a beast because his OBP is very high for a rookie. And his .809 OPS for a rookie is impressive as well.

I think a big story is Uggla. Since June 1 he's had a .818 OPS and it is just getting better. Now that his bad luck has eased up and his BABiP is no longer in the .220 range he's cranking. Heck, if he were running team average (.315) in BABiP he'd probably have a .900 OPS now.

If you are going to criticize Coghlan for having a higher OPS for a longer time than Uggla because it is mostly weighted by 3 awesome weeks, it should be pointed out Uggla has two good months on the season, and three not that good ones.

Coghlan has a +1.000 OPS since July 21st. This is not a 3 week thing.

He had a .533 OPS from June 19-July 20th, 21 games.

He had a .885 OPS from May 24th-June 19.

He hasn't been all that consistent, but to say he's only been good for three weeks is bullcrap. If anything, he's got a three week back streak since moving into the lead off spot and has been balls out awesome otherwise.

If you are going to criticize Coghlan for having a higher OPS for a longer time than Uggla because it is mostly weighted by 3 awesome weeks, it should be pointed out Uggla has two good months on the season, and three not that good ones.

I think you mistake pointing out how his OPS has climbed so quickly with me criticizing Coghlan. I am mostly trying to prevent an over-expectation on what kind of hitter he is. He is the type of hitter that will need to hit at least .290 to have an .800 OPS, whereas Jeremy is the kind that can do that around .265-.275. Coghlan has also been markedly fortunate in BABiP, running 20 points above the team average (ie Good Luck) and without that it is going to be hard to maintain a .290 average for him until his BB% climbs later in his career. Coghlan is a valuable player at .775 OPS because he will have a very good OBP, and people should not be anything but pleased if he is in that range. He will also improve his BB% over the next couple of years and that will move his OPS upwards. My point has more to do with the dislike of Hermida who has performed better than Coghlan for most of the season and a great run over the past month has been largely dismissed, because he is a 'veteran' and ignoring that he is only a bit older than Coghlan.

Uggla on the other hand was suffering through a cartoonishly low BABiP. There is variation between players for sure, but anything under .290 or so is a clear indicator of a downward abberation. Basically bad luck. Despite this he's performed well after May. "Free swinging" Uggla walks 14% of the time, and that has been a consistant improvement thus far in his career.

I am a little tired of many other things, like praise for Cantu while Uggla has been criticized, when Uggla has performed better. I like Cantu's contact rates in the #4 spot, but I think he has driven in fewer runs than Uggla or Ross would have. Hell, even Hermida has a better OPS+ than Jorge, but there is Hermida hate and Cantu love. And none of this is a gripe against Cantu, merely against the popular positions on who is a good player and why.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.