August/Year Position Player Roundup

MarlinsLou

If the power isn't there next year (and the average, which isn't there right now), pitchers are just going to attack him.

.277 isn't bad for a 21 year old at AA, especially when it translates to a .414 .OBP, imo. Also, the power this year, pretty much compares to his previous minor league #'s.

Not really a benefit. If you are going to stash him until June, leave him in AA so he can continue to face better pitching.

Oh. My. God.

Seriously, do you read when other people discuss things with you? Honestly. You keep saying this and it's absolutelyu ridiculous, come on!

I laughed out loud a little.

The days of New Mexico are gone. For the love of god.

MarlinsLou, do you think the Marlins will put Morrison in Triple A, like the Orioles did with Matt Wieters, even if he has an awesome ST? Personally, I think they should. Sanchez can hold down first base for the first two months while Morrison is in triple A.

If Morrison hits .400 with 5 homers in ST He will be the Marlins starting 1st baseman in April. I don't wanna make excuses for Morrison but I am certain his wrist injury has a lot to do with his low amount of homers, however he gets plenty of doubles

To be honest, I don't see Morrison's power numbers as being too low. While he has some obvious strong points to his game, I think his prospect rating has been a little high because I don't think he has top-of-the-line power, which is pretty much run-of-the-mill at first base. That doesn't mean he isn't going to be good, but he looks to me like Nick Johnson in the making while the high prospect ranks make it seem like Adrian Gonzalez.

To be honest, I don't see Morrison's power numbers as being too low. While he has some obvious strong points to his game, I think his prospect rating has been a little high because I don't think he has top-of-the-line power, which is pretty much run-of-the-mill at first base. That doesn't mean he isn't going to be good, but he looks to me like Nick Johnson in the making while the high prospect ranks make it seem like Adrian Gonzalez.

And when A-gon was 21 in AA like Morrison is, he only had a .106 ISO. Certainly we wanted to see more than a 172 ISO and 16 HRs per 650 PA. But the hope is that those doubles start turning into HRs. With his age, we can still project power like that. A .172 ISO as a 21 year old in AA is very good.

I hear you. I have no problem if you want Gaby a C+ for those reasons, but when it comes down to it, I still like him a little better for the "safe" factor. And if he can be even Cantu bad at 3B, that's a starter. Maybe in the 18-24 range of 3B starters overall, but still a starter. I also don't see how he can't be Loneyish at 1B.

Cousins might not even hit a .720 OPS with those whiffs. Maybe they hold constant, but I'm just saying. At this point, it also doesn't look like he'll hit lefties at all. He could be a GREAT platoon player if he can .750+ versus RHP with the defense/speed, but I just don't see him as an everyday player from his current career progression. I really hope he proves me wrong and puts it together, because damn does he hit a lot of XBH, but when it comes down to it he needs a semi-significant bat improvement to make it to the bigs. But even projecting him as a CF, I still see a C+ right now acknowledging the lower level of offense. That's how much I'm concerned with his bat. He's a B- at absolute best, but I didn't make the rankings that exact.

And ignoring the positional thing, assuming Morrison can flip between 1B/LF, who do you see starting in 2012 in a vacuum. Gaby, Cousins, Petersen? Those are the three likeliest candidates. And really, I'm taking Gaby if I have to pick just one of those even if Cousins has the most upside. Ideally you'd hope for the "eighth starting player platoon" to take advantage of RHP/LHP splits, when we need defense (Petco, Citifield, etc) and when we need offense (Citizens Bank, Great American, etc), but if we have to rely on just one, I like Gaby here.

Meant to respond to this earlier but

The platoon thing really works in his favor though, when it comes to starting. Well, not in his favor that it makes him a better spec lol, but in his favor that you platoon him to his strenghts and his overall minor league line looks worse than it actually is. His K rate is only 18-19% against RHP. That's probably going to be in the low 20's in the majors. That's below average but far from being that bad. I'd say he's probably going to be Cody Ross in BB/K (Cody being 7.2% BB, 23.5% K rate). Yeah, he's not going to match Cody in power, but then again Cody hasn't been that good this year (.195 ISO compared to his .220 career ISO) and his still chugging along. I have all the faith in the world Cousins can at least produce against RHP, which is good enough for me.

I mean, you can't use the platoon arguement for every player because you can only have so many platoons. But C should be our only other platoon so it should be far from a problem. The only real issue is that Pete is a LHB, and you know a manager isn't going to platoon a LHB with a LHB because it'll look foolish infront of people who don't know matter and the important thing is to not look dumb infront of people who are blind. That leaves BC ($$) and John Raynard James Keenan.

I also really don't have any faith at the moment in Morrison being a LFer. And even then, taking defense into account, I'd take cousins over Gaby, even if it's just relying on one. Gaby has his own platoon concerns, which is a lot more worrisome considering he's a RHB.

which reminds me...

MarlinsLou, do you think the Marlins will put Morrison in Triple A, like the Orioles did with Matt Wieters, even if he has an awesome ST? Personally, I think they should. Sanchez can hold down first base for the first two months while Morrison is in triple A.

Absolutely. It's very premature to just promote guys because they project to be great and have good BB/Ks. Great example is Wieters, destroying AAA and has a .679 OPS in the bigs this year. Logan is nowhere near the prospect Wieters is. AAA can and will only help him. We aren't that desperate.