this doesnt make sense

Guest marlins02

Guest marlins02

Posted on Wed, Nov. 12, 2003?

BASEBALL

Selig: Build on Marlins

Commissioner Bud Selig says Florida's success has given baseball 'a buzz,' but the team needs a new park to stay competitive.

BY KEVIN BAXTER

[email protected]

PHOENIX - Major League Baseball commissioner Bud Selig said the Marlins' World Series title proves innovations such as revenue sharing and the payroll luxury tax have baseball thriving again with competitive balance.

The challenge now, he said, is to consolidate those gains -- which, in the Marlins' case, means building a new stadium.

'People have come up to me and said, `There's a buzz back about baseball,' '' Selig said by phone Tuesday from his office in Milwaukee after opening the annual general managers' meetings Monday. 'And the Florida Marlins' success is absolutely part of that. The ratings, the attendance. Baseball captivated the country the last six weeks of the season and during the postseason. The landscape of the game is changing.''

And the Marlins aren't the only ones benefiting. Selig credits the 15-month-old collective bargaining agreement -- which will lead to nearly $300 million in revenue being redistributed next season -- with helping teams such as the Twins, who have won their division the past two years, and the Angels, the 2002 world champions.

''There is no way five years ago the Anaheim Angels or the Florida Marlins could have won the world championship,'' he said. 'In the Angels' case, they themselves said that without revenue sharing they couldn't have been where they were. And so there's no question that the labor agreement, all he things that we've done, are working.

``Are they working as fast as some people would like? No. Is it perfect now? No. But there's no question that at least the new system has done what I thought it would. So there is hope for a team like the Florida Marlins.''

Hope will be fleeting without a new ballpark, Selig said.

Team president David Samson said owner Jeffrey Loria has lost more than $40 million since taking over the team two years ago, losses that revenue sharing alone can't cover. But under the lease agreement the Marlins have with Pro Player Stadium, the team receives a fraction of the money raised through parking, concessions, luxury suites, advertising and naming rights -- revenue streams that produce millions for teams such as the Yankees and Dodgers.

''There is no question that this team, to be competitive, needs a new stadium,'' Selig said. ``It just can't make it in Pro Player Stadium. I know that some people don't like to hear that, but that's an economic fact of life.''

With a new stadium deal occupying most of Loria's time, Marlins general manager Admin Beinfest said he still doesn't know how much he'll be able to spend on payroll next season. Just two Marlins -- outfielder Jeff Conine and center fielder Juan Pierre -- are signed for next season, and Beinfest will need nearly $40 million more than last season's $52.5 million to bring the rest back.

Beinfest said Tuesday he has already made third baseman Mike Lowell and free agent second baseman Luis Castillo offers of multiyear contracts and has begun talks with agent Scott Boras about catcher Ivan Rodriguez, another free agent.

According to an industry source, Boras told the Marlins his client expects a multiyear deal worth more than $10 million annually, a contract the Marlins do not see working.

how the hell did revenue sharing help the angels win the World series when the agreement was signed a month before the playoffs? come to think of it how did it help us when we were still in the bottom in payroll?

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sport...all/7239767.htm

You'd think he'd shut his mouth while the team he still owns a 30% stake in is cutting payroll and trading away its star after duping Milwaukee into building them a stadium.

They are losing money like the Marlins are, but do you think that Bud would ever consider the Brewers for contraction? :mischief2

The Florida Marlins and small market teams are good for this great game.

Teams like the Angels and Marlins winning the World Series is great for the future of the sport.

It proves that we are doing some good things in terms of making the game competitive for all.

And as far as the All Star game a couple years back, what else did you want me to do? Both teams were out of pitchers, so we made efforts to ensure that will not occur again.

as we work to make revenue sharing even better than it has been, expect this to become the norm as teams become competitive and it will be up to the teams to ensure whether they are competitive or not.

In a way, the Marlins (and Angels) winning the World Series is bad because it shows that any team can do it and does not force big market teams to curtail spending.

Or does it? It seems with the recent success of ultra-value rosters like the Marlins, Angels, Royals, Twins, even A's, big market teams feel a little ashamed for spending that much money to compete with teams that dont have the same fiscal ammunition they have. Not only that, but the greed of these owners could set in - they no longer feel the desire to spend copious amounts of money to win when they can do so at a fraction of the cost and gain greater profit (or less loss).

You get the sense that this has almost nothing to do with Bud, but more to do with smartly managed organizations like the Marlins who function like any other business - managing assets within the proper perspective of being competive in relation to their financial ability. Hopefully you will see this trend come about and be here to stay - regardless of profit sharing and luxury tax.

As usual I'm in the minority. I think Bud's done a pretty good job the last few years. He's a convenient target to ridicule, he's unattractive, he's without stature and he's from a small market with a lousy team, but I give him credit for standing up to the Player's Association. We need more Bud Selig's in baseball not less.

He's the one who put together Loria with the Marlins, and we just saw how that turned out.

He's not the enemy. And you don't shoot the messenger.

As usual I'm in the minority. I think Bud's done a pretty good job the last few years. He's a convenient target to ridicule, he's unattractive, he's without stature and he's from a small market with a lousy team, but I give him credit for standing up to the Player's Association. We need more Bud Selig's in baseball not less.

He's the one who put together Loria with the Marlins, and we just saw how that turned out.

I agree, contraction was a wakeup call to the fans and players that without the owners, there is no baseball. They used it as leverage and it worked, it saved the sports spending and has helped it become exciting again.

Let's be honest here. Bud Selig did not "stand up to the Player's Association." They call the shots as usual. Revenue sharing, in its current form, can only HELP the salaries of the players by taking some profit from big market teams, sending it to small market teams, and FORCING the small market teams to devote the added revenue toward expanding payroll (rather than covering losses).

Salaries look to be on the decline largely because of the economy. Owners can no longer tolerate losses for one particular investment when their other sources of income begin to dry up. Combine that with the growing unprofitability of owning a Major League Baseball franchise, and you have your explanation for declining payrolls.

But in all seriousness, Bug Selig is just another lapdog to the players. Not only could he not manage a set value for the luxury tax cutoff, he couldn't even broker a minimum payroll requirement because the players feared it might harm their long-term financial interests by possibly building a groundwork for an eventual salary cap.

"Revenue sharing" was a joke concocted to beef up payrolls in the name of parity while doing little to help cover growing debt.

And MLB's drug testing--if you'd call it that--is an even bigger joke.