Cody's Arbitration Hearing

floridafly

CODY WON!

CODY! CODY! CODY!

After enjoying his best MLB season, Cody Ross was in line for a hefty pay raise.

On Tuesday, the Marlins outfielder found out exactly how much.

At an arbitration hearing in St. Petersburg, Fla., a panel ruled in favor of Ross. Their decision means Ross will make $4.45 million in 2010, instead of the $4.2 million the Marlins offered.

Ross will receive a $2.225 million raise from a year ago, or double what he earned in 2009, when he made $2.225 million.

Ross and the Marlins had their hearing on Monday. It is common for the decision to be made a day later.

-- Joe Frisaro

CODY WON!

CODY! CODY! CODY!

After enjoying his best MLB season, Cody Ross was in line for a hefty pay raise.

On Tuesday, the Marlins outfielder found out exactly how much.

At an arbitration hearing in St. Petersburg, Fla., a panel ruled in favor of Ross. Their decision means Ross will make $4.45 million in 2010, instead of the $4.2 million the Marlins offered.

Ross will receive a $2.225 million raise from a year ago, or double what he earned in 2009, when he made $2.225 million.

Ross and the Marlins had their hearing on Monday. It is common for the decision to be made a day later.

-- Joe Frisaro

Good. He deserved it. Now I hope he continues to improve.

This is why many people don't trust that Loria will open his pockets when the new stadium opens. He continues to act like a cheap jerk, and just doesn't get the perception and ill will he causes when folks reads this. Over $ 250,000 ?? He caused maybe at least that or more damage from the poor PR it generated.

MLB Network was laughing about it. Mike and Mike on ESPN2 joked about it......you just cringe when they start talking about it.

Potential fans hear this, and it just causes all the good that had been done with the signing of Hanley & Uggla to be thrown out. Now all they still talk about on the shows is just how cheap Loria is.....:banghead

FA's will continue to avoid the Marlins, which is what I think is actually happening. Its not the Marlins not trying to lure them here, its the reputation that preceeds Loria that turns some of them off.

Sometimes Loria is his own worst enemy...... :(

Why is Loria any more of a jerk than Cody and his agent? They were all griping over the same 250k.

And since arbitration raises are based quite a bit off of your previous year's salary, 250k more this year might = 400k more next year (just a guess), and that's another major league contract the Marlins can't offer to a player like Kiko Calero (which many on here are whining about).

To me, Cody is already a rich man, and I do like Cody, but since I know payroll is going to match revenue for this team, I am totally rooting for the Marlins to sign everyone to the cheapest contracts possible, and this includes my rooting for Cody to lose his arbitration case.

This is why many people don't trust that Loria will open his pockets when the new stadium opens. He continues to act like a cheap jerk, and just doesn't get the perception and ill will he causes when folks reads this. Over $ 250,000 ?? He caused maybe at least that or more damage from the poor PR it generated.

MLB Network was laughing about it. Mike and Mike on ESPN2 joked about it......you just cringe when they start talking about it.

Potential fans hear this, and it just causes all the good that had been done with the signing of Hanley & Uggla to be thrown out. Now all they still talk about on the shows is just how cheap Loria is.....:banghead

FA's will continue to avoid the Marlins, which is what I think is actually happening.Its not the Marlins not trying to lure them here, its the reputation that preceeds Loria that turns some of them off.

Because taking Cody to arbitration - which for the record, Cody got an extraordinary raise based on his performance and his agent should be commended for whatever his argument was - is more damaging than building a new ballpark, keeping Dan Uggla, and signing Josh Johnson to a 4 year contract. Mike and Mike are idiots. Who cares. Someone else said it in this thread, the Rays took BJ Upton to arbitration over the same figures. The Marlins did the right thing business wise and there is no sense getting frustrated over it.

And how are FA avoiding the Marlins? Because we want to sign a big one right now? We have 7 young starters they want to give innings, they like having a flexible bullpen and they've brought in a ton of arms to mix and match and see what's there, and they like Gaby/Logan to take over 1B sooner rather than later. The only position on the entire roster we can guarantee playing time is, some sort of veteran lefty bat to help out with 1B/DH American League/Primary pinch hitter. That's maybe a, 350 PA job. You think it's the money that's holding back Branyan or Blalock or Delgado from signing here? Hell no. It's because those guys want 600 PA and not to have to be worked in and out with Gaby.

Your criticisms are really unwarranted. I agree Loria has not been perfect and has done some things in the past with payroll to limit the franchise, but hell if it's right now.

Why is Loria any more of a jerk than Cody and his agent? They were all griping over the same 250k.

And since arbitration raises are based quite a bit off of your previous year's salary, 250k more this year might = 400k more next year (just a guess), and that's another major league contract the Marlins can't offer to a player like Kiko Calero (which many on here are whining about).

To me, Cody is already a rich man, and I do like Cody, but since I know payroll is going to match revenue for this team, I am totally rooting for the Marlins to sign everyone to the cheapest contracts possible, and this includes my rooting for Cody to lose his arbitration case.

250k is a much bigger deal to Cody than it is a multi-millionaire like Loria (I'd think that would be obvious) who could easily afford to give an over-achieving player a few hundred k his way. Cody isn't a great player and he's 29, the window for athletes to make a lot of money is pretty small, compare that to the owners who will make millions the rest of their lives.

FA's will continue to avoid the Marlins, which is what I think is actually happening.Its not the Marlins not trying to lure them here, its the reputation that preceeds Loria that turns some of them off.

Because taking Cody to arbitration - which for the record, Cody got an extraordinary raise based on his performance and his agent should be commended for whatever his argument was - is more damaging than building a new ballpark, keeping Dan Uggla, and signing Josh Johnson to a 4 year contract. Mike and Mike are idiots. Who cares. Someone else said it in this thread, the Rays took BJ Upton to arbitration over the same figures. The Marlins did the right thing business wise and there is no sense getting frustrated over it.

And how are FA avoiding the Marlins? Because we want to sign a big one right now? We have 7 young starters they want to give innings, they like having a flexible bullpen and they've brought in a ton of arms to mix and match and see what's there, and they like Gaby/Logan to take over 1B sooner rather than later. The only position on the entire roster we can guarantee playing time is, some sort of veteran lefty bat to help out with 1B/DH American League/Primary pinch hitter. That's maybe a, 350 PA job. You think it's the money that's holding back Branyan or Blalock or Delgado from signing here? Hell no. It's because those guys want 600 PA and not to have to be worked in and out with Gaby.

Your criticisms are really unwarranted. I agree Loria has not been perfect and has done some things in the past with payroll to limit the franchise, but hell if it's right now.

Ross' agent probably kept on about his 90 RBIs. I guess in arbitration that matters more than OPS. Good for Ross he deserves what he can get.

250k is a much bigger deal to Cody than it is a multi-millionaire like Loria (I'd think that would be obvious) who could easily afford to give an over-achieving player a few hundred k his way. Cody isn't a great player and he's 29, the window for athletes to make a lot of money is pretty small, compare that to the owners who will make millions the rest of their lives.

Payroll = revenue.

That's all you need to know. So it doesn't matter how rich Loria is. Revenue, not Loria's net worth, determines how much he will spend on this team. So, we have a limited payroll (limited by the amount of our revenue), and I'd prefer to spend less than more because that opens up the extra money for another player.

I don't feel badly for either guy; they are both wealthy. I do care about the Marlins having more payroll flexibility though.

To be honest, I don't think this had as much to do with arguing over 250k with Ross then trying to prevent a precedent in arbitration that if you have a good year you deserve a 100% raise.

Most of Cody's numbers will come down this year, his numbers are only as good as the guys hitting in front of him. The further down the lineup he ends up the lower the RBI and walks will be.

Finally some one that gets it on this board.

Add to that the perception, which when running a business that people don't have to participate in, that he is cheap. That is all people outside of Florida, including potential FA's, even mediocre ones, will hear. You can do all the signing of JJ's and Uggla's you want to do, but when you already have a reputation and act like the stereotype of that perception, that is what people will remember and talk about.

It does not bode well for the future, and the trust that will need to be there to be able to have the upper hand when it comes to FA's in the future. There is a real percieved notion within baseball itself that the Marlins are cheap. When FA's have left, a number of them have publically stated this, and privately, amongst themselves you know the players have talked too. This is a collective thought and image process that humans do, and when you get a rep, you have to work extra hard to overcome that stereotype, and Loria just seems to put his foot in his mouth more often then not when it comes to this kind of thing. He doesn't do his team any favors when he reinforces this image.

I believe that it does hurt the team, because many FA's (and their agents) just put the Marlins at the bottom of the list of teams to talk to. We are not a priority unless a FA is desperate.

Ross' agent probably kept on about his 90 RBIs. I guess in arbitration that matters more than OPS. Good for Ross he deserves what he can get.

I would say players in the 2010 class, like Hermida and Francouer settling on significant raises versus accepting initial club offers, and Hart winning in arbitration, upped the comp class versus the 2007-2009 rates.

Payroll = revenue.

That's all you need to know. So it doesn't matter how rich Loria is. Revenue, not Loria's net worth, determines how much he will spend on this team. So, we have a limited payroll (limited by the amount of our revenue), and I'd prefer to spend less than more because that opens up the extra money for another player.

I don't feel badly for either guy; they are both wealthy. I do care about the Marlins having more payroll flexibility though.

Are you serious ? :blink: You really don't get it. The damage that arbitration hearing cost the Marlins in PR was way more than $ 250,000. And if the revenue was not there last year or the year before when the payroll was $ 35 million, why, pray-tell was the money there this year ? Or was it there all along and Loria wasn't spending it ? You can't have your cake, and neither can Loria, and eat it too. The $ 10 million increase in payroll is coming from somewhere, and another $ 250,000 is little to spend for the avoidance of the bad PR hit Loria, and sadder the Marlins take because Loria is a cheapskate.

Finally some one that gets it on this board.

Add to that the perception, which when running a business that people don't have to participate in, that he is cheap. That is all people outside of Florida, including potential FA's, even mediocre ones, will hear. You can do all the signing of JJ's and Uggla's you want to do, but when you already have a reputation and act like the stereotype of that perception, that is what people will remember and talk about.

It does not bode well for the future, and the trust that will need to be there to be able to have the upper hand when it comes to FA's in the future. There is a real percieved notion within baseball itself that the Marlins are cheap. When FA's have left, a number of them have publically stated this, and privately, amongst themselves you know the players have talked too. This is a collective thought and image process that humans do, and when you get a rep, you have to work extra hard to overcome that stereotype, and Loria just seems to put his foot in his mouth more often then not when it comes to this kind of thing. He doesn't do his team any favors when he reinforces this image.

I believe that it does hurt the team, because many FA's (and their agents) just put the Marlins at the bottom of the list of teams to talk to. We are not a priority unless a FA is desperate.

I laughed. The Marlins future is doomed because the team choose to arbitrate with Cody Ross - when they were able to sign their other nine arbitration eligible players. This is going to send shockwaves to other clubhouses.

Cody got a huge raised based on his comps. The Marlins have inhouse counsel so it costs them relatively nothing to send someone to Tampa and argue this. This is not a big deal at all. This is not being cheap. This is running a smart business. This is not a big deal at all despite whatever the amazing Mike and Mike want to laugh about. They would still laugh at the Marlins even if they gave Cody $4.5 million no questions asked based on their last few years of, I don't know, trading Miguel Cabrera and having a sub $30 million payroll. Cody Ross is changing this?

You know how you overcome the cheap stereotype? You build a stadium you sign Hanley and Johnson longterm, and then you keep signing more guys and free agents that can be longterm pieces for you.

Are you going to cry when Uggla, Cantu, Ross, Nunez, Pinto, one of Anibal/Miller, Helms, and Paulino are not on this team next year too? Are we going to be cheap then also, or are those baseball decisions considering we can replace them all in house with high potential prospects like Morrison, Stanton, Petersen, Tucker, Ceda, West, Leroux, Vanden Hurk, etc?

This is a bunch of bubkes.

You anti-Loriites are kinda ridiculous.

Isn't it funny that payroll is going up when they said payroll was going to go up as we got closer to the stadium? And did you ever think that with season ticket sales and overall attendance going up that maybe, just maybe, revenue has gone up?

Do I think that some of this is money that Loria already had? Yeah, I never claimed Loria was putting all the money he had into this team, basically because I don't believe he should, as proven by 2004 and 2005 when no matter how much money he put in, even signing the one of the biggest FAs on the market, the revenue didn't go up. I don't believe that people should have to own businesses just to lose money. That's silly.

No Rab and Lou we are looking at reality. Perception is part of reality when you screw all the good you have done, by looking cheap just the one time. Because most people, like Mike & Mike have an agenda, and they started making fun of the Marlins in 2006, when they said on their show that the Marlins were a joke because of the $ 24 million payroll. The Marlins have a PR nightmare, and Loria was prodded into spending more money this year, only with a public reprimand from the MLBPA and the other owners.

You can continue your unabashed Loria worship, but many of us are not buying what he is selling, and judging from the crowds the Marlins usually get, neither is the general public. And they are the ones that make the final judgement (by attending or not) whether or not that is fair or not.

Are you serious ? :blink: You really don't get it. The damage that arbitration hearing cost the Marlins in PR was way more than $ 250,000. And if the revenue was not there last year or the year before when the payroll was $ 35 million, why, pray-tell was the money there this year ? Or was it there all along and Loria wasn't spending it ? You can't have your cake, and neither can Loria, and eat it too. The $ 10 million increase in payroll is coming from somewhere, and another $ 250,000 is little to spend for the avoidance of the bad PR hit Loria, and sadder the Marlins take because Loria is a cheapskate.

Is your argument really that the Marlins are losing $250,000+ in ticket sales and/or their brand because they choose to arbitrate Cody Ross? Because I mean, this is clearly as enormous of an event as trading Josh Beckett, Mike Lowell, Dontrelle Willis, Miguel Cabrera, getting a new stadium, and signing Hanley Ramirez, Josh Johnson, and signing their other 9 arbitration eligible players, including Dan Uggla which no one thought would be a Marlin in 2010.

You know what changes perception, when they have their own ballpark and a winning team. Payroll isn't even going to matter then because they won't be the cellar dwellers anymore.

Does anyone make fun of the Rays anymore? That's what's going to happen with the Marlins. It's going to be overnight.

No Rab and Lou we are looking at reality. Perception is part of reality when you screw all the good you have done, by looking cheap just the one time. Because most people, like Mike & Mike have an agenda, and they started making fun of the Marlins in 2006, when they said on their show that the Marlins were a joke because of the $ 24 million payroll. The Marlins have a PR nightmare, and Loria was prodded into spending more money this year, only with a public reprimand from the MLBPA and the other owners.

You can continue your unabashed Loria worship, but many of us are not buying what he is selling, and judging from the crowds the Marlins usually get, neither is the general public. And they are the ones that make the final judgement (by attending or not) whether or not that is fair or not.

Because the attendance problem started in 2006, right?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.