Defense!

Erick

Every offseason it's the same crap about how "we're trying to improve, defensively." It's crap. This defense is still the laughing stock of MLB in terms of defenses...get it fixed, already. /rant

What do you think is going to happen when you have inexperience young players?

Every offseason it's the same crap about how "we're trying to improve, defensively." It's crap. This defense is still the laughing stock of MLB in terms of defenses...get it fixed, already. /rant

For the most part, this team is no longer inexperienced. It's just a bad defensive team.

The good news is Uggla and Cantu will be gone soon. The bad news is that Ross will be, too.

The good news is that LoMo should eventually be an above-average 1B. The bad news is that Gaby isn't and he probably keeps the job for the time being (not saying this is bad overall, just relative to the defense).

The good news is that Coghlan should be better at 2B than he is at LF and he should also be better than Uggla. The bad news is that we don't have a 3rd baseman.

That good news is that Hanley seems to be improving. The bad news is that both of our catchers are not good, and most of our pitchers seem to be poor fielders, too.

The good news is that Maybin should be an above-average CF. The bad news is that he isn't, and may not, hit enough to warrant consistent playing time.

I'm not sure this trend changes for the near future; however, Petersen/Carroll, Maybin, and Stanton could be a above-to-very-above-average OF. Eventually, Dominguez/Hanley/Coghlan/Morrison should be at least average at all 4 positions and possibly above-average at all (the least likely to fit this is probably Coghlan).

The good news is Uggla and Cantu will be gone soon. The bad news is that Ross will be, too.

The good news is that LoMo should eventually be an above-average 1B. The bad news is that Gaby isn't and he probably keeps the job for the time being (not saying this is bad overall, just relative to the defense).

The good news is that Coghlan should be better at 2B than he is at LF and he should also be better than Uggla. The bad news is that we don't have a 3rd baseman.

That good news is that Hanley seems to be improving. The bad news is that both of our catchers are not good, and most of our pitchers seem to be poor fielders, too.

The good news is that Maybin should be an above-average CF. The bad news is that he isn't, and may not, hit enough to warrant consistent playing time.

I'm not sure this trend changes for the near future; however, Petersen/Carroll, Maybin, and Stanton could be a above-to-very-above-average OF. Eventually, Dominguez/Hanley/Coghlan/Morrison should be at least average at all 4 positions and possibly above-average at all (the least likely to fit this is probably Coghlan).

Gaby isn't a plus defender, but other than looking silly in what probably amounted more to opening day jitters than anything else, Gaby's first base defense really hasn't cost us that much. You have to be really bad at first base to do that. Its the other three infielders failing to convert outs that has been terrible.

Also, I'm not sure that Uggla being gone will improve our defense because there's no assurance that the guy replacing him will be better. And all in all, I think our worst defensive player also plays the most important defensive position and is the most popular player in the franchise.

Dont forget one of our biggest defensive weakness is our starting pitching being able to field there position. Thats one we are most likely going to have to live with going forward, and hope improves as our staff gains more starts and experience.

Dont forget one of our biggest defensive weakness is our starting pitching being able to field there position. Thats one we are most likely going to have to live with going forward, and hope improves as our staff gains more starts and experience.

Clear enough?

Gaby isn't a plus defender, but other than looking silly in what probably amounted more to opening day jitters than anything else, Gaby's first base defense really hasn't cost us that much. You have to be really bad at first base to do that. Its the other three infielders failing to convert outs that has been terrible.

Also, I'm not sure that Uggla being gone will improve our defense because there's no assurance that the guy replacing him will be better. And all in all, I think our worst defensive player also plays the most important defensive position and is the most popular player in the franchise.

Hanley is an average defender. Get over it.

And Coghlan projects to be better than Uggla at 2nd (*with experience).

before you call Morrison above average defender do some checking in 12 games in AAA 2 errors, please!!! the only games his played

Hanley Ramirez is not the worst defensive player on the team. And at least if Hanley is considered somewhat below average defensively, he at least has an excuse. The excuse being that he's far and away better offensively than any other SS in baseball. The same cannot be said for the other guys. For years now the thing has been "building around pitching, defense, and speed"...the defense sucks, and the team rarely ever uses the speed well, anyway, because the speedsters either cannot get on base, or they cannot steal bases. It's difficult to win ballgames consistently without an actual identity. I think that's the biggest problem right now. This team doesn't know what it is.

And all in all, I think our worst defensive player also plays the most important defensive position and is the most popular player in the franchise.

I completely agree. But that's not all: Miguel Olivo can't catch, Mike Jacobs can't catch, Miguel Cabrera can't field, Dan Uggla can't field, Hammer's not good enough, Hermida looks completely lost out there...

Oh... wait... it's not 2007? Sorry, your ridiculously outdated notion about Hanley's defense confused me.

before you call Morrison above average defender do some checking in 12 games in AAA 2 errors, please!!! the only games his played

It is constantly said on these boards that errors commited is a poor stat to judge a players defensive capabilities.

Unless it bolsters your opinion.

Watch Logan play. The guy actually knows what that leather thing on his nonthrowing hand is for. Now if he can only figure out how to use that wood thingy.....

For the most part, this team is no longer inexperienced. It's just a bad defensive team.

Yep pretty much. They just throw the ball away WAY too much,it's ridiculous. Many times it seems to be the pitcher and/or catcher.

I hate our defense right now it is costing us games. Just to sloppy out in the field.

Honestly right now the only big bright spot is the way Volstad has been pitching,he's killin it.

Let's be honest, we are in the sh*t right now. Though I truly believe we're a better team than the way been playing lately. Hope it shows sooner than later.

It isn't just errors, it poor judgment in situations where professional ballplayers should have run through possibilities confronting them before the next pitch is thrown. In the simplest example, one that everyone has seen literally dozens of times, throwing to the wrong cut-off man or worse throwing it to the wrong part of the field where someone may or not be or if there is a player there who legitimately is watching for something else to happen as he mans his position or his position on the field.

Basically its bad fundamental baseball.

Our three worst defensive players this year have been Gaby, Maybin, and Coghlan.

Gaby is a rookie, Maybin is basically a rookie, and Coghlan is in his first full season playing a position that he had never played before the middle of last season.

I think you can blame inexperience for the time being.

Does anyone have access to the +/- thingy?

Gaby Sanchez: -1

Dan Uggla: -1

Hanley Ramirez: 0

Jorge Cantu: +4 (3B); +3 (1B) (He's also ranked the best 3B on bunts, where he's +2)

Coghlan: -3

Maybin: -3

Ross: +2 (RF), -1 (CF), LF (0)

Remember, this is a really small sample size.

Our three worst defensive players this year have been Gaby, Maybin, and Coghlan.

Gaby is a rookie, Maybin is basically a rookie, and Coghlan is in his first full season playing a position that he had never played before the middle of last season.

totally disagree

read --According to Baseball Info Solutions, Gaby Sanchez as of Thursday trailed only the Royals' Billy Butler (seven) in picks and bad throw saves.

Yes they are all young but you have to remember these guys aren't 12 and 13 they are grown men that get paid to play the game for a reason. The errors that are made are on fundamental plays witch there is no excuse for. Yes, some of the errors are from bad decision witch is were inexperience from being a Major League Player comes in hand. But when you throwing errors and dropping balls that should be caught is fundamentals and those plays should be made.

I saw this today (link below) and as many here know stats are not the first place I run to when trying to analyze a possible problem area. That said my jaw nearly hit the floor when I was this:

– The Florida Marlins infield, including former Sox farmhand-turned-superstar Hanley Ramirez, has allowed a .258 average on grounders this season (28th). This includes last week’s average allowed of .373.

I look at that I say to myself there's a bigger problem here. I don't know if it's defensive positioning, or collective lack of effort, or just plain not being on the same page and playing as a team, but there are simply terrifying numbers.

http://fullcount.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/2010/05/10/the-factors-week-5/

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.