no more teal?

hanley2

i heard that in his most recent 790 appearance samson officially said that teal would not be in the marlins' uniforms when they make their monumental shift in 2012. can anyone confirm the truth of the matter asserted?

i guess jeffrey has good taste. how else do you become a billionaire dealing art?

sad day for those of us who still remember the cutoffs and teal fondly. i can just imagine a purple wall in the outfield and magenta stirrups on all the players....

Well, I mean, if Samson said it why do you need any more confirmation. He's basically the source. That said most of us knew this was happening, Loria has shown that he doesn't like teal and publicly called it a "color of the 90's".

i guess jeffrey has good taste. how else do you become a billionaire dealing art?

Being pretentious?

Also, Loria's not a billionaire.

because samson is samson and i never know whether to believe what he says. i trust mb way more.

he never was a billionaire or was half his money with lehman bros?

and what a ridiculous comment, teal is timeless.

so what does everyone think the color of 2012 will be?

because samson is samson and i never know whether to believe what he says. i trust mb way more.

Someone really needs to give me times that Samson straight up lied to us. He has this reputation as a snake and a weasel and I really don't know where it comes from. I mean, sometimes when he gives his reasoning for something it seems a little self-serving but I don't know of anytime someone's proved him to be an outright liar.

And Loria was never, to my knowledge, a billionaire. Not sure where you got this Lehman Brothers thing.

Someone really needs to give me times that Samson straight up lied to us. He has this reputation as a snake and a weasel and I really don't know where it comes from. I mean, sometimes when he gives his reasoning for something it seems a little self-serving but I don't know of anytime someone's proved him to be an outright liar.

And Loria was never, to my knowledge, a billionaire. Not sure where you got this Lehman Brothers thing.

You are absolutely right about Samson. I think it's because he actually looks and sounds like a weasel. Regardless, he goes into the Marlins Hall of Fame on the first ballot for his work obtaining the stadium.

Joke about Lehman Bros., the wealthy losing money is funny.

Guest Guest

I think with the Lehman Bros. thing, he was referring to the possibility that Loria had a lot of money with them and lost it. Or simply referring to simply losing a lot of his net worth through bad investments. Lehman went under and did not get a bail out.

I haven't investigated Loria's net worth, but I highly doubt he's a billionaire.

I also don't think he has good taste. You can look at the Red Grooms things as evidence. I'm sure he's skilled at estimating the value of a work of art for buying and selling but this doesn't mean he necessarily has the slightest clue as to what the best uniform colors will be or what the proper artwork for the stadium will be.

Guest Guest

Also, Loria told the New York Times that he doesn't like teal. Considering the fact that since Loria has taken over the club, teal has been phased out dramatically, I think it should come as no surprise that he wants new colors entirely.

Loria took over the team in 2002. By 2003, teal became an accent color only.

I say black, sliver, and a dark blue (like the blue on a sword fish, not Mets muts blue..)

Why not just stay with the colors they have? That is colors they began with, and that is the way it is supposed to be. Eventhough the Padres have changed uniforms many times, they were able to incoporate the color they have always used into the current uniforms.

You are absolutely right about Samson. I think it's because he actually looks and sounds like a weasel. Regardless, he goes into the Marlins Hall of Fame on the first ballot for his work obtaining the stadium.

Joke about Lehman Bros., the wealthy losing money is funny.

Yeah, I know about Lehman Brothers, I just thought you were being serious.

Also, Loria told the New York Times that he doesn't like teal. Considering the fact that since Loria has taken over the club, teal has been phased out dramatically, I think it should come as no surprise that he wants new colors entirely.

What Samson actually said was the accent color we see now is in fact NOT teal but another color on the Pantone chart and it "may" or "could" (I don't remember the exact phrasing he used) continue to be used on one of the home uniforms when the Marlins begin play in 2012.

He seemed to be saying, "Hey we hate the f****** color but we know a lot of our fans have an emotional attachment to it so we'll find a way to throw them a bone on one of our uniforms..." or at least that's I interpreted his comments.

I'm not going to bother to go through the 790 archives but most of his Weds shows are there if someone just has to have the exact answer.

What Samson actually said was the accent color we see now is in fact NOT teal but another color on the Pantone chart and it "may" or "could" (I don't remember the exact phrasing he used) continue to be used on one of the home uniforms when the Marlins begin play in 2012.

He seemed to be saying, "Hey we hate the f****** color but we know a lot of our fans have an emotional attachment to it so we'll find a way to throw them a bone on one of our uniforms..." or at least that's I interpreted his comments.

I'm not going to bother to go through the 790 archives but most of his Weds shows are there if someone just has to have the exact answer.

great info

I say black, sliver, and a dark blue (like the blue on a sword fish, not Mets muts blue..)

That's my bet too.

Thats the only way i will truly be happy. I know the Jays kinda have that color scheme with their black alts, but i hear a lot of disdain for the current color scheme and want them to switch back to fully blue. Knowing the Jays, they have no problem changing uniforms. The color scheme would have a connection to the team name. Just as long as its not some gaudy bright colors, but we will see i guess. I wish someone that was good with Graphics could pop something up with our current scheme in the Black Silver and Blue.

Guest Guest

Loria's net worth is in the $300-$400 million range. Its kind of perplexing how he was allowed to buy a team in the first place(and then a 2nd one, especially since he couldnt afford the purchase completely on his own-even after selling the Expos to MLB).

FWIW, I'm not sure that being an art dealer requires taste, per se.

Just like collecting baseball cards doesn't necessarily require talent evaluation, it requires an ability to spot inefficiencies and take advantage of them. Or, you can be the guy with the cash who buys art at a clearance/sale price and sells it for more because you have the time to wait and the forums to take advantage of in order to fetch full value.

If he were a fashion designer a la Calvin Klein, then this would make a lot more sense; but, I don't think being an art dealer requires great taste. In fact, beautiful artwork and "good" art doesn't necessarily become valuable, and that is for a variety of reasons. He simply needs to spot art that will become valuable, and that's a different skillset, even if there might be some overlap.

Guest Guest

Looking at the home run celebration(along with the art deco stadium in general), as well as rough sketches of the proposed park they had drawn up for the Expos, it is pretty clear being an art dealer doesnt require taste.

Well, I mean, if Samson said it why do you need any more confirmation. He's basically the source. That said most of us knew this was happening, Loria has shown that he doesn't like teal and publicly called it a "color of the 90's".

Being pretentious?

Also, Loria's not a billionaire.

He might be a billionaire now. With the stadium being built in 2012, the valuation of the Marlins is probably in the middle of the pack for MLB franchises (maybe even slightly higher). I would bet the team has a value of about $450-500MM, which is about average according to Forbes http://www.forbes.com/2009/04/22/yankees-mets-baseball-values-09-business-sports-land.html .

I would not be surprised if his businesses besides the Marlins are worth $500MM. That would put him at close to $1B.

Loria's net worth is in the $300-$400 million range. Its kind of perplexing how he was allowed to buy a team in the first place(and then a 2nd one, especially since he couldnt afford the purchase completely on his own-even after selling the Expos to MLB).

How do you know his net worth is in the $300-400 million range? The Marlins value was at least $250MM prior to the stadium deal. Now it is probably closer to $500MM.

I think with the Lehman Bros. thing, he was referring to the possibility that Loria had a lot of money with them and lost it. Or simply referring to simply losing a lot of his net worth through bad investments. Lehman went under and did not get a bail out.

I haven't investigated Loria's net worth, but I highly doubt he's a billionaire.

I also don't think he has good taste. You can look at the Red Grooms things as evidence. I'm sure he's skilled at estimating the value of a work of art for buying and selling but this doesn't mean he necessarily has the slightest clue as to what the best uniform colors will be or what the proper artwork for the stadium will be.

Having money invested accounts managed by Lehman Brothers doesn't mean he lost any money when they went under. If they were simply his brokers or asset managers, it would make no difference. The actual property/assets you own are the underlying securities (if you own stocks, bonds, etc.), so what really matters is how those assets have performed. Now, if he was a shareholder in Lehman... that's different.

How do you know his net worth is in the $300-400 million range? The Marlins value was at least $250MM prior to the stadium deal. Now it is probably closer to $500MM.

That's a really old number that comes from when he first bought the team. But, lets say he was a $400M when the team was worth $250M and nothing else changed, that would get him up to $650M now. I don't actually know what his finances are but I don't think there's any reason that his non-baseball worth went up $350M. (Not that I'm saying there's any reason to think it couldn't have either, we just don't know.)

Of course I have no idea what I'm talking about, I've never seen his books.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.